RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, ALERT FOR Store purchases - riding season is here, so we are in the crazy times for orders. Lead times are long, so we can't do much to rush things. Always best to buy off Season when things are in stock. Also, there are many seasonal holidays this time of year, both here and in Europe (mainly August), so please be patient! We aren't Amazon. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and also, we aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. Please note GuzziTech is largely a ONE man operation. Requests for phone calls will be deleted. We are online only. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE OR JUST disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. Thanks for your understanding and support.
  2. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum; Be sure to try a search and/or post on the Forum before starting a new topic, and as a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. If you are posting on numerous sites on the web, please stop back and follow up. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GT products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our custom builds at GTMotoCycles.com or click the Service tab above.

Swing Arm Bearings

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by Tracey, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Tracey

Tracey Just got it firing! GT Contributor

With the winter in full swing in Ohio I have been performing maintenance on my 2014 Stelvio NTX with 24,000 miles. My fist full winter season with this bike. Adjusted valve lash, all fluids, spark plugs & boots, injector balance. Also had to replace rear break pump and pads, and a few broken bits hear and their.
    Surfing this forum I also followed some excellent suggestions for removing the carbon canister and cross connected the throttle bodies. Nordicnorms procedure for inspection and greasing the swing arm and shock linkage may have saved me some serious problems. After buying Todd's CARC wrench I was able to give it some much needed attention. My bearings wher dry and staring to form some rust. A good cleaning, inspection and ample grease and I'm good to go, just in time.

I sent my ECU to Todd today for a reflash, I'm looking forward to the riding season.

Thanks to the people on this forum for taking the time to post suggestions and procedures. They have been a big help to me. Yes, I have contributed and will do so again.

2. jdub

jdub Tuned and Synch'ed

I intend to tackle the linkage and swingarm bearings when my rear wheel comes off for a new tire. I'll hopefully get to it next weekend as I"m down to the wear bars. Keeping my fingers crossed for finding grease in those bearings!

3. Lannis

Lannis Cruisin' Guzzisti

Hope you find some too! I took my swingarm off my 2009 to check the bearings at 40,000 miles, and luckily found them with some grease on them (not a lot) and undamaged. Greased them up well, greased the drive shaft spline, and am riding on with confidence. Many people have found the bearings dry, red with rust, and coming apart .....

4. jdub

jdub Tuned and Synch'ed

Finally got around to checking the bearings in the swingarm and shock linkage. At 20k miles and after a particularly wet winter season, I was pleasantly surprised to see both swingarm bearings were in good shape and still greasy. The outer seals don't look like they would do that good of a job, but I'm not complaining. I cleaned the cages and regreased the best that I could, but in hindsight I probably should have ensured more grease got into the caged portion.

I think there were 5 of the needle bearings in the linkage. One was toast and two were marginal. I had bought some spares and replaced the worst one. It turned out to be a major pain to remove. I should have tried finding a socket that could engage the cage but I opted instead to work it out with a punch, which was very tedious. The pin that rides on the needles had surface corrosion on the side with the bad needles, but I didn't think to buy any of the pins so I had to reuse it.

I ended up cleaning and regreasing the two marginal bearings because the one I replaced was such a pain. Interestingly, there were 4 needle bearing seals that needed replacing, but the one for the corroded bearing looked to be in good shape, while the 4 that I replaced had shredded sides.

The new seals are mostly metal and should be more durable compared to the original rubber seals. However, those metal seals just love to get crimped as you try your hardest not to drive them in cockeyed.

After putting everything back together, I hung a rubber sheet between the battery tray area and swingarm to create a hugger of sorts that should keep tire spray away from those bearings. You'd have to look very closely to even see it with all of the bodywork in place.

5. John Warner

John Warner Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Always a good idea to fit Grease Nipples wherever possible.
    Linkage.jpg Linkage4.jpg

Design of the Frame around the Swing-Arm Bearings means it's not possible to fit them there, you have to be a bit more 'creative'.
    SwingArmAxle1.jpg SwingArmAxle2Dia.jpg

boscoman likes this.