• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

t3 charging & battery

sirnippy

Just got it firing!
Hi people - my old t3 has an Odyssey PC680 battery in it. Was there when I bought the bike. A bout three and a half years ago. The recommended one is a PC925, but I`m not sure it would actually fit - their website says it is 7 inches wide. What do you think? One other thing - I ride my bike in town with the lights on mostly. Seems to drain battery. With a multimeter across the battery, the old girl needs some revs to get up to 14 volts. This normal? Cheers.

sirnippy said:
Hi people - my old t3 has an Odyssey PC680 battery in it. Was there when I bought the bike. A bout three and a half years ago. The recommended one is a PC925, but I`m not sure it would actually fit - their website says it is 7 inches wide. What do you think? One other thing - I ride my bike in town with the lights on mostly. Seems to drain battery. With a multimeter across the battery, the old girl needs some revs to get up to 14 volts. This normal? Cheers.

Low charging rate is normal for the old Bosch system. Upgraded charging systems are available here http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/ and here http://www.motoelekt.com/ The PC 925 will fit, but must go in with the terminals in on the side. Other good choices are available from Westco (12V30) http://westcobattery.com/ and other suppliers. Look for an equivalent to the Y60N24AL-B which was the stock battery.

I too have an old T3. Agreed, needs a few revs to charge best, & also prone to eating the alternator rotor from time to time, at which point no amout of revs will charge the battery. Since you can get 14 volts, obviously that has not happened yet. I am able to avoid lots of in town riding, often shut the headlight off when not in traffic, & since I replaced the stock 30 VHB carb's with far superior 32 PHF's, spend a lot more time at higher RPM's that the VHB's discourage, so have no charging issues normally even with the stock Bosch system. Did upgrade at some point with diode board & voltage regulator from motoelekt.com. They advertise for older BMW's, but it's the same Bosch charging system as on the old Guzzis. This improves reliability, but not output, which was sufficient for my purposes.

As for battery, I have found my older Tontis to be very happy with less expensive old style open cell lead acid batteries. Have been using Interstate SP30R's literally for decades, go for $50 or so & last several years reliably. A bit snug but do fit, & have battery terminals properly placed.

Back