• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Tach Needle spins in circles

Nathan Stanley

Just got it firing!
I’m reviving a 1975 850T after a short 8 year storage period.
I’m troubleshooting several issues, but my skills/knowledge only take me so far (Haynes manual just arrived). Without throwing money and a bucket of new parts at it, I can’t figure out the tachometer. The needle rotates clockwise 360 degrees about 1 full rev per second at idle and speeds up with engine RPMs.
I took the cable off and everything looks normal at both ends. The PO slopped a bunch of heavy grease in the instrument end of the cable which, I assume, is inside the tach instrument housing now.
Any ideas for what might be causing the needle to rotate all the way around?

If memory serve me correctly, the needle is magnet driven against spring tension. If enough grease got up there instead of the magnet driving the needle, the grease is effectively making the system a "direct drive" If you can carefully disassemble the unit and clean the grease out you may be OK. At this point the gauge is useless so nothing to lose. Harper's shows a new unit for $192.01 if available. harpermoto.com/tachometer-14767201.html

After “carefully” removing the top bezel and glass (now cracked... oops) I was able to inspect the guts. The copper return/resistance spring for the needle was broken and bird-nested around the needle shaft.

After “carefully” removing the top bezel and glass (now cracked... oops) I was able to inspect the guts. The copper return/resistance spring for the needle was broken and bird-nested around the needle shaft.

That explains it. Haven't hear of that spring breaking before but anything can go wrong.

That spring is called the hairspring. The drag generated by the spinning magnet inside the aluminium drag cup is calibrated against that hairspring tension to give you a reading. Even if your pointer did only 1 full revolution that spring has completely had it. It can be replaced and the tacho recalibrated, but that would be completely cost prohibitive imo. There are probably more things wrong in there that allowed this to happen in the 1st place.

Things can wear in there and eventually allow the the spining magnet to physically contact the drag cup. 1 touch and it's all over for your hairspring.

It's entirely UNlikely that enough (or even any) grease made its way into your tacho. If it did, there's another problem with your instrument. In fact, all you blokes with cable driven instruments, a light smear of grease the full length of the inner cable plus a little more grease at each end before reassembly is a very good thing to do.

I'm a long retired old school instrument fitter (Scientific Instrument Maker and Repairer) and the higher quality versions of these sorts of things are some of what I used to work on. Ex-RAAF aircraft instrument fitter.

I know plenty of ol' codgers - heck, I are one! But I don't know any doing this king of stuff. Not on this side of the country anyway.

Back