Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Tach Needle spins in circles

Discussion in 'Loop & Tonti' started by Nathan Stanley, May 15, 2020.

1. Nathan Stanley

Nathan Stanley Just got it firing!

I’m reviving a 1975 850T after a short 8 year storage period.
    I’m troubleshooting several issues, but my skills/knowledge only take me so far (Haynes manual just arrived). Without throwing money and a bucket of new parts at it, I can’t figure out the tachometer. The needle rotates clockwise 360 degrees about 1 full rev per second at idle and speeds up with engine RPMs.
    I took the cable off and everything looks normal at both ends. The PO slopped a bunch of heavy grease in the instrument end of the cable which, I assume, is inside the tach instrument housing now.
    Any ideas for what might be causing the needle to rotate all the way around?

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

If memory serve me correctly, the needle is magnet driven against spring tension. If enough grease got up there instead of the magnet driving the needle, the grease is effectively making the system a "direct drive" If you can carefully disassemble the unit and clean the grease out you may be OK. At this point the gauge is useless so nothing to lose. Harper's shows a new unit for $192.01 if available. harpermoto.com/tachometer-14767201.html

Bill Hagan likes this.
  3. Nathan Stanley

Nathan Stanley Just got it firing!

After “carefully” removing the top bezel and glass (now cracked... oops) I was able to inspect the guts. The copper return/resistance spring for the needle was broken and bird-nested around the needle shaft.

4. john zibell

That explains it. Haven't hear of that spring breaking before but anything can go wrong.

5. Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

That spring is called the hairspring. The drag generated by the spinning magnet inside the aluminium drag cup is calibrated against that hairspring tension to give you a reading. Even if your pointer did only 1 full revolution that spring has completely had it. It can be replaced and the tacho recalibrated, but that would be completely cost prohibitive imo. There are probably more things wrong in there that allowed this to happen in the 1st place.

Things can wear in there and eventually allow the the spining magnet to physically contact the drag cup. 1 touch and it's all over for your hairspring.

It's entirely UNlikely that enough (or even any) grease made its way into your tacho. If it did, there's another problem with your instrument. In fact, all you blokes with cable driven instruments, a light smear of grease the full length of the inner cable plus a little more grease at each end before reassembly is a very good thing to do.

I'm a long retired old school instrument fitter (Scientific Instrument Maker and Repairer) and the higher quality versions of these sorts of things are some of what I used to work on. Ex-RAAF aircraft instrument fitter.

6. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

7. Dinsdale Piranha

8. DeadEye

DeadEye Tuned and Synch'ed

There must be some old codger in the land of OZ, that rebuilds Vintage gauges ?

9. scottmastrocinque

There is an old codger in the land of Oz. His initials are P. R.. :giggle:

john zibell likes this.
  10. john zibell

Yes he is an old codger, but I don't think he fiddles with gauges.:giggle:

scottmastrocinque likes this.
  11. scottmastrocinque

Nope. But he’ll tear a bike apart, throwing stuff here and there and he always manages to have extra nuts and bolts when he’s done! It’s amazing.

12. DeadEye

DeadEye Tuned and Synch'ed

Where does he get those extra parts !
    Is it magic ?
    And I was using Old Codger in the most respectful way :)

13. Dinsdale Piranha

I know plenty of ol' codgers - heck, I are one! But I don't know any doing this king of stuff. Not on this side of the country anyway.

DeadEye likes this.