• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Taking the Winding Roads to Wendell

Bill Hagan

GT Reference
GT di Razza Pura
Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
Kathi told me some weeks ago — in that charming way the best of wives have in their bag of tricks for herding men — that we would be going down to Wendell (vic. Raleigh), North Carolina. One of our granddaughters had gotten a role in a high-school play, Shakespeare’s "Much Ado About Nothing,” albeit set in the 1940’s during WWII.

I won’t say that I didn’t really want to go, but I was pretty close to that. Still, as Kathi is also a retired middle-school teacher, she is practiced in getting 7th grade boys to do what they don’t want to do, which is pretty much the same techniques needed for 70-something men.

One of the arrows in her motivational quiver is to say, as she did here, “Bill, the weather’s looking pretty good for early November here and there. I’ll drive and you can ride down. Take a couple of days both ways and have some fun.”

Naturally, I was suspicious.

But, of course, I swallowed the bait, thus this little photo trip report. First, some words.

I decided on the Griso over the …

1) EV. Has slow leak in front tire. Bead sealer goop inbound. Also has some “spark” problem that baffles me. No, that doesn’t take much.

2) Stornello. On the lift with all fluids drained and rear wheel off awaiting NoMar time.

3) V7 III. I had ridden it to N.C. last time, and to Tennessee two months ago, so that left the Griso.

No, wait, there was a …

4) Steve P’s 750 Breva has been sitting in the Moto Grappa as a surprise present to his wife. It’s been taking up space and electricity keeping its battery charged, so maybe I should do Steve a favor and give it some road time? No, better not.

I had recently changed out the Griso’s rear tire, but thought the front looked fine. Well, until the day before I left when I decided I better order a new tire to put on after I got back from this 700-or-so-mile r/t. I had not realized that I had a Michelin Power on the front as that was what had been on the rear. I had wondered how it felt like a track combo until the rear got squirrely and changed out with a Road 4 GT on the way to Kentucky this past spring. So, the night before the trip I ordered a new front tire from Revzilla. Astonishingly, it came the next morning before I launched to N.C.!

I decided, however, after getting to Lynchburg that first night to have a local dealer R&R that tire if they had one. That led to having the Revzilla tire (a MR4-GT) as a spare, and the Griso wearing a new MR5-GT on the front for the rest of the trip.

I rode the whole trip on back roads, i.e., zero eye-roads, and with the only 4-lanes in built-up areas.

The weather on Days 1, 2, & 4 was stupendous; Day 3 sucked. Not the forecast even two days before I left. Meteorology makes alchemy and astrology seem like hard sciences! I don’t trust meteorologists to tell me what the weather was, much less what it will be. Then again, God doesn’t watch Weather Channel.

Anyway, even the low speed limits on Skyline Drive (35 mph) and Blue Ridge Parkway (45 mph) were not maddening as some (and even I occasionally) find them. Virtually traffic-free, both were joys, even on the Griso, a machine that prefers taking big sweepers at orange-suit anywhere speeds. I pulled off at lots of overlooks. It’s odd how photos of overlooks all seem to be the same, yet, in reality, they are all varied well beyond nuances. Still, I probably post too many, but you can skip over those at will.

Oh, I have a photo or two of my supper (and beer) stop in Lynchburg on the way back; Shakers. Nice place, fine bar food, perky waitstaff of the distaff sort. But, as the pix and captions show, getting there from the hotel and back on foot was about as dangerous a thing I’ve done, involving sprinting — never a strength, and, at 75, not happening, period — across a busy 4-lane and vaulting — same level of feat for me as sprinting — over a jersey barrier between the lanes. Heck, even the Russian judge would have given me a 9 for effort. Terror is a wonderful motivator. I didn’t ride over because I try hard never to ride after a beer. It would have been way safer.

Wait a minute. The play? The enthusiasm and earnestness of high-school students is fun to watch, and some — especially, of course, our granddaughter, Joanna — are special joys for obvious reasons of familial pride. And, for an Old Flatulent like me, often pessimistic about the future, such events are a very good thing.

After all of that TLDR intro, the photo show may seem like the play, Much Ado About Nothing.

If, however, you are still reading and game for the pix, have at them.

The album opens in “landscape collage,” which means you don’t have to plow through all the pix one at a time in slideshow mode.

If you care about captions, hover your cursor over the small pix. If you want to see all in larger format, choose the “play” symbol at the top.

Here’s the link: Taking the Winding Roads to Wendell

Bill

The “Last G&T of 2022”, photo is the best ending ever!

It's ALWAYS a great deal of fun to read your posting Colonel. Thank you so much.

Last edited:
Back