Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Holiday Greetings. For those asking about Black Friday/Cyber Monday specials... Since we're such a tiny operation, it's tough to offer much... But we're again offering free shipping on $99+ orders to our U.S. customers on any in stock GTM product! Now through Monday at midnight, PST. Use POST-COVID-FREE discount code at checkout on our online Store link above - We truly appreciate your support. PLEASE Support small businesses!

Tank bag and paint protection

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by hatchb4ck, Sep 1, 2021.

1. hatchb4ck

hatchb4ck Tuned and Synch'ed

Hey Everyone,
    I've been searching and researching information on a tank bag solution for my Stornello. Since I use my Stornello as a daily rider and as an ADV motorcycle, I want to make sure my decision isn't a detriment to the paint.

There are a couple of solutions I am considering.

One option is having paint protection film put on the tank and using a quality strap mount tank bag. I've checked with local installers and the quotes are $200 to have it done. I've also reached out to a vender that has a current V7 tank pattern they sell for DIY install but it doesn't cover the tank enough to protect the paint from straps and the dirt/dust that inevitably will gather underneath them when riding off road. He offered to extend the pattern for a reasonable increase in price, but nothing has come of that and he hasn't returned subsequent emails.

The other option is a tank ring mounted bag using the GTM tank ring and a Givi bag. My one concern, based on lack of knowledge/experience with tank ring mounted bags, is flex and contact with the tank when off roading.

Does anyone have any experience with the rigidity of the tank ring mounted bags on a V7 tank? The images seem to show plenty of clearance but when loaded and riding do they contact the tank?

2. Bill Hagan

Bill Hagan GT Reference GT Famiglia

Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
    I kid about my Stornello and I being faux off-roaders, but the reality, for me and it, at least, is just that, i.e., frequent off-pavement runs on gravel, dirt, and the like every time I ride it, but rarely -- and never intentionally :shake: -- am I on single tracks or off the road completely.

I say that because, unless you really go off road, "the rigidity of the tank ring" is a nonissue. The distance between tank and bag bottom is significant, and, even on washboard gravel that makes a dentist visit seem needed, the bag stays put. I have those on my Griso and Norge and like them.

If abrasion is your concern, and you remain (unnecessarily, IMO) worried, consider something like this: https://tinyurl.com/Moto-Tank-Tape

Lots of choices in brands and sizes. Personally -- and, I can be as OCD as the next perfectionist -- I view such, and especially on the Stornello, as patina. Besides, chicks dig scars. :makeup:

Best,

Bill

Edited to add a comment after I realized that you are "the bash plate guy!" :giggle: Maybe you DO go off road not just off pavement! ;) Even so, have to say that I doubt that the tank bag in question would ever flex enough contact the tank. That link I sent might be the answer in such cases.

TravelinPawPaw likes this.