• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Tank Bag

Hank

Just got it firing!
Hi everybody

I am thinking of getting a tank bag for my Stelvio. The Guzzi OEM bag does not look too good for me and is - surprise, surprise - rather expensive. Anyone of you using a tank bag and if so, which one? Any recommendations? The Touratech universal enduro bag does look ok but I'd be glad to hear what you are using.

Thanks
Hank

I thought about one of the SW-Motech bags, but they don't make a quick-tach fastener that matches the bolts (Or abscence of them) on the Stelvio tank filler. (They are also more expensive than the Guzzi one, by a good piece) I ended up getting the Guzzi bag because of the odd shape of the tank. The bag is an odd shape inside and out, but has reasonable capacity. The tank bra that holds the bag is NOT secure from sliding back and forth as it only has straps that hold it fore and aft, not side to side. I elected to put 4 dabs of GOOP rubber cement under the bra to pin it to the plastic. It should peel right off without leaving a mark, and now the bag is QUITE secure. I made sure all the glue is on one piece of plastic, and not covering any fasteners, so I can remove bodywork if needed without disturbing the bra. I'm content.

Maybe a Cortech Super Mini Strap version could work if you don't need a large touring bag. Otherwise the high dome of the Stelvio will be tough. I wonder if any of the bags for the BMW GS would work?? It's got a pretty high tank contour too.

I agree with John. If you don't need to carry a ton of stuff in your tank bag, I'd go with the Cortech Super Mini .

They are relatively inexpensive and seem to hold up well. I ordered additional straps so I could easily move it from one bike to the other.

Here's a pic of one of BMW's GS bags. Looks like an interesting possibility. The BMW folks say they need some non-skid stuff added to the bottom, too.

R1200GS_VarioTankBag.jpg

Thanks, guys. John, would it be too much to ask for a pic of the Guzzi bag on your ride? The pics on the usual websites are not good enough. If you have a pic of the opened bag on the bike, that would really help me to make up my mind. Also, is the map window any good?

Here are a bunch of pics of the two Guzzi offerings. Both attach to the same tank bra very easily and can be removed or switched in moments.

The "sissy" bag will hold a wallet, spare keys, turnpike ticket, cell phone, etc. Handy for around town.

stelviotankbags001.jpg

stelviotankbags002.jpg

stelviotankbags003.jpg

The touring bag is a generous size, with map window and rain hood, carry handle as well as shoulder strap. Biggest drawback is lost volume due to domed contour of tank top, and therefor bag interior. Still quite useful.

stelviotankbags004.jpg

stelviotankbags005-1.jpg

stelviotankbags006.jpg

Note that I received my Euro hardcases from Agostini and mounted them. I really think they're the best combination of looks and function for the bike. I don't care for the width of the ammo can boxes, or Hepco's for this bike (or the Quota). BUT, you do sacrifice a good bit of volume in the left bag for the exhaust cut-out compared to the Norge left case. Mounting hardware is totally different, both lock latches and fender-mounted bag spreader.

stelviotankbags007.jpg

I tried for a rider's eye view, but missed slightly. From my perch, you can clearly see all of the GPS, and with a slight stretch of the neck, the bottom of the instrument display.

stelviotankbags008.jpg

Here's an interior shot. Note the domed contour of the inside due to tank shape.

stelviotankbags009.jpg

Hope these help. The GOOP or other adhesive is a must to prevent tankbag from moving around, as per earlier post in this thread.

I'll run another thread describing what I had to change to mount the Euro-bags to the US version. Minor differences, really.

Thanks a lot, John! You just "sold" me the Guzzi bag. BTW: I got the Guzzi cases as well. The first set had to be exchanged because they leaked. I'm happy with the replacements, though. The only thing that annoys me is opening them in the or after pouring rain: Right where the top lock is situated the water stays. No matter what you do, it will always spill into the case when you open it. I also put some heat shielding tape onto the left case next to the exhaust. The plastic does not like too much heat...

Yeah, I saw the heat shield on someone else's left case, I'm going to do that. For me it was an ordeal (financially, anyway) because Guzzi has chosen not to import this style case into the US. UPS costs are outrageous from europe to the US!!! Only the ammo can variety are available here. I think they make the bike ridiculously wide (naturally YMMV) I'm not likely to do any "Long Way Round" adventures this year anyway. So, after long deliberation, and a good income tax refund check, I decided to splurge for the ones I wanted from Agostini and bite the bullet for shipping. No regrets. (still whining though!!) :blink: :blush:

I have the Guzzi tank bag as well. It works well, I installed some carpet padding to the back side of the leather yoke that the bag mounts too to keep it stationary. See page 6 of the Stelvio out and about pictures to see it.

I have always been happy with RKA products and have one of their bags. It is wedge shaped, so it fits the contour of the tank well and it is not too large for the top of the tank. The price was right as well about $105.00 by the time it arrived at the house. Go to the RKA website and check them out. Just search RKA motorcycle luggage.

Back