Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

tank removal

Discussion in 'BNS12 Chat & Tech' started by Roblatt, Oct 10, 2010.

1. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Good point on the WD 40. It can cause some plastics to expand.

2. organfixsing

organfixsing Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Yea Kuzya, works for me. I spray the connector liberaly with teflon spray and use a jeweler's screwdriver to release the nylon teeth.

Cheers
    Brian :D

3. Rafael

Rafael GT Reference

Fuel line removal was a big PTA for me, but my buddy mastered it fairly quickly so I didn't have to resort to techniques noted above. He has a stronger grip and is able to follow the instructions and get it done. One day last winter while doing the scheduled maintenance I was practiced and found that if I would do a wobbling motion it would come right off. So instead of pulling straight back on the line axis I would, wobble my wrist so that the axis follows a line on a narrow cone. I think this increase force on the ring clip and holds it open at one point then continues along to expand the remaining length of the ring. Sort of like removing a tire.

I was so surprised that it came off so easily that I thought that the coupling was broken so I put it right back on and turned on the ignition - no leaks. I don't depressurize the line either just have a rag ready.

4. paulel

paulel Just got it firing!

Great big thanks to Kuzya for tank removal instructions! I decided to take mine off today so that I could remove those horrible cheap and nasty 'chrome' plastic bits on the side to paint them. I had been dreading removing the tank after reading many posts here but I hated those side bits so much I had to do it. Well, thanks to Kuzya's instructions it took just seconds to remove the pipe from the tank. Thanks again Kuzya.

5. Mike59

Mike59 Just got it firing!

Thankyou very much kuzya for the tip, it worked great for me

Michael

6. ohiorider

ohiorider Cruisin' Guzzisti

What color is your bike, and what color/finish have you selected for the chrome bits? I've gotten accustomed to them over 4 years of ownership, but agree .... they detract from the otherwise quality finish of the rest of the bike. One of the 1200 Sport owners posted a pic of his bike after he'd covered over the chromed plastic with a faux carbon fiber that looked rather nice. To Guzzi's credit, the pieces are sacrificial, and as I recall, cost less than $50/each side. But chromed plastic???

And yes ..... the small screw driver trick to open the four pawls holding the fuel line to the pump does work, but keep a few choice curse words in reserve, just in case .......

Bob

7. Norge Pilot

Norge Pilot Just got it firing!

Ditto a bazillion times. That made tank removal so easy (2013 Norge). Without that trick, I am sure it would be gyrations and parts ordering galore.

Thank you so much Alex and just as important, the pictures. On the Norge, the little tabs are placed so that one of them is at the 12 o'clock position and almost impossible to get to. I slightly bent the tiny allen wrench at the straight end (say 15 degrees and it make that one so much easier to depress.

8. motofiala

motofiala Just got it firing!

Can someone convince me not to simply get rid of that stupid coupling that will likely break the red elbow at some point and replace it with some high pressure fuel hose and 2 clamps? That coupling is a total assache.

9. Norge Pilot

If you follow the instructions already posted, the connector is very simple to disconnect. The tip works so well it makes taking the tank off a breeze. It took longer to disconnect the fuel pump electrical and vapor hoses that it took to disconnect the fuel line.

Actually, that connector is as easy if not easier to use than one of those snap hose clamps and then trying to wedge off the rubber fuel line on other bikes. Been there, done that with hose clamps of all sorts.

If it takes you longer than a minute to disconnect the fuel line, you're trying too hard.

motofiala likes this.
  10. motofiala

I appreciate that but considering [at least according to this thread] I need WD40, dry lubricant, olive oil, a jeweler's screwdriver, small allen wrench, and have to push the line and fitting in 4 different directions simultaneously that give no audible or tactile indication it has been released, two clamps seems a much simpler option

11. Bgarceau

Bgarceau Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

...and I think petroleum jelly was suggested as well, to apply once you get it apart to speed later attempts.

Can someone tell me the specs for the fuel line coming off of the tank?

12. Norge Pilot

Really, it isn't all that. Use a large paper clip, that works just as well and there is no need for any lubricant, allen wrench, WD 40 or anything else. It comes apart by hand.

There is no need to simultaneously depress all the clasps, you can do it one at a time. Insert large paper clip, push slightly and that really is all there is to it. The fule line will then come off with slight hand pressure.

Of course, two hose clamps, the prying off of tight fitting hoses and instead of one part to now having three might be simpler and easier.

motofiala likes this.
  13. motofiala

thanks...I truly appreciate the suggestions as well as you patience with my snarkiness...I was a tad frustrated last night. I plan to practice using your suggestions since taking the tank off is necessary from time to time and I don't want to become avoidant regarding maintenance just because I am having issues with my technique...sincere thanks.

14. Averb

Averb Tuned and Synch'ed

For what its worth I believe that the more often you do it the easier it is to do. I struggled the first time but it has been easier every other time
    Steve

15. motofiala

FYI...the use of a little screwdriver really helped. Had the tank off in no time. I understand this coupling much better. I appreciate all of your suggestions and for talking me off the ledge. Ride safe my friends.

16. aussiedave

aussiedave Tuned and Synch'ed

Thanks for answering the question I didnt know I would be asking in a few weeks time, when I remove Breva tankl !!
    I love this forum, real people , real problems, real answers and real BEER !
    Doesnt get any better......

17. Bgarceau

Bgarceau Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Another issue with WD is that it evaporates relatively quickly. It will not last. In some cases this is a good solution, such as with cleaning firearms, but may not be best here.

18. Kuzya

Kuzya Tuned and Synch'ed

Back here after years of absence. So glad the "tickle trick" was really helpfull :) did not work for myself last summer, as I kept fuel line pressurized and struggled while tickling.