• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

tank removal

organfixsing said:
I have come into this discussion rather late, however, I would add my two cents worth.
The use of WD40 to lubricate may compromize some of the plastics and rubbers involved in this connector.
I successfully used a product called Selleys DryGlide to assist disconnection of the grrrr connector.
This is a Teflon lubricant in an evaporating carrier fluid. It does not harm plastics or rubber.
I would imagine it would be available in other countries albiet under a different name.

P.S. I used the jeweller's screwdriver approach as well as the teflon spray to be able to release that pesky grrrr.... connector.
Cheers
Brian :) :D

Good point on the WD 40. It can cause some plastics to expand.

Yea Kuzya, works for me. I spray the connector liberaly with teflon spray and use a jeweler's screwdriver to release the nylon teeth.

Cheers
Brian :D

Fuel line removal was a big PTA for me, but my buddy mastered it fairly quickly so I didn't have to resort to techniques noted above. He has a stronger grip and is able to follow the instructions and get it done. One day last winter while doing the scheduled maintenance I was practiced and found that if I would do a wobbling motion it would come right off. So instead of pulling straight back on the line axis I would, wobble my wrist so that the axis follows a line on a narrow cone. I think this increase force on the ring clip and holds it open at one point then continues along to expand the remaining length of the ring. Sort of like removing a tire.

I was so surprised that it came off so easily that I thought that the coupling was broken so I put it right back on and turned on the ignition - no leaks. I don't depressurize the line either just have a rag ready.

Great big thanks to Kuzya for tank removal instructions! I decided to take mine off today so that I could remove those horrible cheap and nasty 'chrome' plastic bits on the side to paint them. I had been dreading removing the tank after reading many posts here but I hated those side bits so much I had to do it. Well, thanks to Kuzya's instructions it took just seconds to remove the pipe from the tank. Thanks again Kuzya.

paulel said:
Great big thanks to Kuzya for tank removal instructions! I decided to take mine off today so that I could remove those horrible cheap and nasty 'chrome' plastic bits on the side to paint them. I had been dreading removing the tank after reading many posts here but I hated those side bits so much I had to do it. Well, thanks to Kuzya's instructions it took just seconds to remove the pipe from the tank. Thanks again Kuzya.
What color is your bike, and what color/finish have you selected for the chrome bits? I've gotten accustomed to them over 4 years of ownership, but agree .... they detract from the otherwise quality finish of the rest of the bike. One of the 1200 Sport owners posted a pic of his bike after he'd covered over the chromed plastic with a faux carbon fiber that looked rather nice. To Guzzi's credit, the pieces are sacrificial, and as I recall, cost less than $50/each side. But chromed plastic???

And yes ..... the small screw driver trick to open the four pawls holding the fuel line to the pump does work, but keep a few choice curse words in reserve, just in case .......

Bob

For those yet to remove the fuel line, here is a pick of the grey connector that was difficult to remove until Alex's little trick.
It's the white clips on the inside that you need to tickle.

Ditto a bazillion times. That made tank removal so easy (2013 Norge). Without that trick, I am sure it would be gyrations and parts ordering galore.

Thank you so much Alex and just as important, the pictures. On the Norge, the little tabs are placed so that one of them is at the 12 o'clock position and almost impossible to get to. I slightly bent the tiny allen wrench at the straight end (say 15 degrees and it make that one so much easier to depress.

Can someone convince me not to simply get rid of that stupid coupling that will likely break the red elbow at some point and replace it with some high pressure fuel hose and 2 clamps? That coupling is a total assache.

Can someone convince me not to simply get rid of that stupid coupling that will likely break the red elbow at some point and replace it with some high pressure fuel hose and 2 clamps? That coupling is a total assache.

If you follow the instructions already posted, the connector is very simple to disconnect. The tip works so well it makes taking the tank off a breeze. It took longer to disconnect the fuel pump electrical and vapor hoses that it took to disconnect the fuel line.

Actually, that connector is as easy if not easier to use than one of those snap hose clamps and then trying to wedge off the rubber fuel line on other bikes. Been there, done that with hose clamps of all sorts.

If it takes you longer than a minute to disconnect the fuel line, you're trying too hard.

I appreciate that but considering [at least according to this thread] I need WD40, dry lubricant, olive oil, a jeweler's screwdriver, small allen wrench, and have to push the line and fitting in 4 different directions simultaneously that give no audible or tactile indication it has been released, two clamps seems a much simpler option

I appreciate that but considering [at least according to this thread] I need WD40, dry lubricant, olive oil, a jeweler's screwdriver, small allen wrench, and have to push the line and fitting in 4 different directions simultaneously that give no audible or tactile indication it has been released, two clamps seems a much simpler option

...and I think petroleum jelly was suggested as well, to apply once you get it apart to speed later attempts.

Can someone tell me the specs for the fuel line coming off of the tank?

Really, it isn't all that. Use a large paper clip, that works just as well and there is no need for any lubricant, allen wrench, WD 40 or anything else. It comes apart by hand.

There is no need to simultaneously depress all the clasps, you can do it one at a time. Insert large paper clip, push slightly and that really is all there is to it. The fule line will then come off with slight hand pressure.

Of course, two hose clamps, the prying off of tight fitting hoses and instead of one part to now having three might be simpler and easier.

thanks...I truly appreciate the suggestions as well as you patience with my snarkiness...I was a tad frustrated last night. I plan to practice using your suggestions since taking the tank off is necessary from time to time and I don't want to become avoidant regarding maintenance just because I am having issues with my technique...sincere thanks.

For what its worth I believe that the more often you do it the easier it is to do. I struggled the first time but it has been easier every other time
Steve

FYI...the use of a little screwdriver really helped. Had the tank off in no time. I understand this coupling much better. I appreciate all of your suggestions and for talking me off the ledge. Ride safe my friends.

Thanks for answering the question I didnt know I would be asking in a few weeks time, when I remove Breva tankl !!
I love this forum, real people , real problems, real answers and real BEER !
Doesnt get any better......

Back here after years of absence. So glad the "tickle trick" was really helpfull :) did not work for myself last summer, as I kept fuel line pressurized and struggled while tickling.

Back