• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

TECH: U.S. Turn-signal UPDATE

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
Date: March 9, 2009
Subject: Stelvio Turn Signals

Together with our colleagues in Italy, Moto Guzzi USA has reached an agreement with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) regarding the rear view mirror / turn signal component for the Stelvio model. The problem being addressed is regarding the turn signal lens. As installed, currently available rearview mirrors, meet all DOT turn signal lens requirements, but do not have the proper DOT identification molded into the lens.
The agreement consists of two parts; first that the rearview mirror / turn signal components already in the US, either in Spare Parts stock, with the dealers or installed on a motorcycle may be used without further concern; second, that all future production of the turn signal lens will have proper DOT identification.

If there are any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact your Technical Services Representative.

Best regards,
Aftersales Group
Moto Guzzi USA

Bureaucratic BS - Gotta love it and role with it or you will go mad trying to understand why they do it. :S

Shucks! And here I already changed mine out for the Non-US approved Euro version with 1200 Sport mirrors, and turn signals integral with the bodywork. ( If anyone else wants to, MPH in Houston has kits already configured and in stock.) Pretty much plug and play.

The USA could save a lot of money for it's citizens if they just approved the euro approved things, but that would be to easy, won't it?

Most of all, it'd be the beginning of the end for the US, and invalidate too many predictions of too many sci-fi novels :silly:

But then in fairness, Europe would have to approve all of our stupid rules, and where would that get all the beaurocrats? Out of jobs and having to work at real jobs for a change. Can't have that - too many would starve. ;)

John in PA wrote:
Shucks! And here I already changed mine out for the Non-US approved Euro version with 1200 Sport mirrors, and turn signals integral with the bodywork. ( If anyone else wants to, MPH in Houston has kits already configured and in stock.) Pretty much plug and play.

Do you know whether you can use both sets of lights at the same time or would that overload the flasher/circuit....they do make HD units though or does Luigi use some one of a kind off brand flasher. :silly:

As a commuter I like all the lights I can get to let the cages know what my intensions are. If they were run in series they would flash at the same time, in parallel on alternate times. I think.................do I have that right/wrong?

You probably have it right/left ;) There'd be an imperceptibly small interval between the lights. They're not LEDs, I suppose, but if you run both you could use LED replacement bulbs to reduce power draw — and since resistances mounted in series add, you might even get a reasonable frequency without resorting to additional correcting resistances.

RJVB wrote:
You probably have it right/left ;) There'd be an imperceptibly small interval between the lights. They're not LEDs, I suppose, but if you run both you could use LED replacement bulbs to reduce power draw — and since resistances mounted in series add, you might even get a reasonable frequency without resorting to additional correcting resistances.

If using LED's you would need an electronic flasher and then add a resistance to it. I had to do that on my Concours. If using regular bulbs you would just have to change out the flasher to a HD like you would use when trailering (adding a set of lights). I like the idea of adding additional lights to the front (turn signals) I would just want them to alternately flash to get someone's attention.

The Stelvio flasher is the electronic dashboard. It is not a mechanical flasher.

So, a second set of lights or LED type may be a non issue.

OR.
The extra load may toast the electronic driving the bulb.
OR.
It appears it is set up to detect a bad bulb. So it may give and error code.

But, I'll bet you could add two signals on each side. Use an incadescent for one set and LED for the other. Wire the LED one to +12 instead of ground. It would always be on, as a running light. And it would flash opposite of the incandescent.

Re: Re:TECH: U.S. Turn-signal UPDATE

Wayne Orwig said:
But, I'll bet you could add two signals on each side. Use an incadescent for one set and LED for the other. Wire the LED one to +12 instead of ground. It would always be on, as a running light. And it would flash opposite of the incandescent.

Has anyone actually done this?? I am liking the sound of it!

I will be switching out mirrors and doing the rewire on my new NTX and yesterday I took off the side covers to see what I will be dealing with.
Here's what I found:

There seems to be a socket plug there with two wire holes that run thru but nothing more:

I don't know if these are usable or not.
The actual lense is impossibly secures with an Allen bolt up in the inside and looks like it may be a real pain in the ass to get out.

Does anyone know if there are wire sets close by for the "proper turn signals or will I have to take them down from the mirrors and use those?

Attachments

• StelvTS-1.jpg
    StelvTS-1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,102
  • StelvTS-1a.jpg
    StelvTS-1a.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,102
  • StelvTS-2a.jpg
    StelvTS-2a.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,101
You'll see posted elsewhere a doctored version of the housing you have (you can remove the paint and install a bulb socket/wiring), or you can purchase the whole assembly (& 1200S mirrors) from MPH in Houston (tell them we sent you) that is plug and play. On the pre-'12 models, you simply unplug the stock plug that feeds the mirrors, and plug into the correct assembly/location.

Remember reading that post on doctoring the existing but damned if I can find it now. Anyone?

GT-Rx said:
You'll see posted elsewhere a doctored version of the housing you have (you can remove the paint and install a bulb socket/wiring), or you can purchase the whole assembly (& 1200S mirrors) from MPH in Houston (tell them we sent you) that is plug and play. On the pre-'12 models, you simply unplug the stock plug that feeds the mirrors, and plug into the correct assembly/location.

Just ordered my mirrors and euro kit from MPH. Very professional place I must add. Shipping into Canada was also reasonable. I have shipped smaller things in Canada and paid more.

Anyhow, you say on the "pre-'12" models you disconnect the stock plug and plug it in. Do you not do the same thing on the 2012 model. Is there another set of wires for the 2012.

canuck1969 said:
GT-Rx said:

Just ordered my mirrors and euro kit from MPH. Very professional place I must add. Shipping into Canada was also reasonable. I have shipped smaller things in Canada and paid more.

Anyhow, you say on the "pre-'12" models you disconnect the stock plug and plug it in. Do you not do the same thing on the 2012 model. Is there another set of wires for the 2012.

Once your kit arrives, if you feel like taking a ride down to London, I would be happy to give you a hand on the installation. I recently did the same operation to my '09 Stelvio. Send me a PM if you want to do that, and I will provide you with my street address and contact number.

Others may correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe the procedure is the same for your 2012 model as for the older ones.

Cheers,

Bruce

Can somebody who has done this conversion tell me about your results please? I am contemplating this but I do like the turn signals in the mirrors simply from a visibility standpoint. I ride with the auxiliary lights on all the time, and I am concerned that the turn signls will be significantly diminished visually by the headlights and auxiliary lights.

Did you see a huge improvement in mirror stability? Otherwise, I am inclined to try the liquid BarSnake product.

Thanks for any experience you can share.

200% improvement for me! The right mirror (w/turn signal) had vibrated OFF - I had to tape it to the housing (and that had happened in the first 1000 miles). While I don't have aux lights (yet), the euro turn signals are 100% brighter than the US in-mirror version. And there is ZERO vibration in the new left mirror and a small amount in the right.

Back