• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Technical question

Davetac1

Cruisin' Guzzisti
This is for you technical guys with the newer 1400 Tourers that do your own maintenance and or work at a dealership:

Does the new 1400 Guzzi use the same ALDL [assembly line diagnostic link] J62 connector plug as the automobiles and trucks now use???? Ya know,the one located under the dash of the cars and trucks where ya plug your scan tool into to test and or trouble shoot emmissions, computer,sensor,and or running problems?????????????????? Thank you! Dave!!!

I doubt it, since the diagnostic tool PADS (short for Piaggio Advanced Diagnostic System) used by accredited Moto Guzzi dealers, connects to a 3-pin diagnostic plug and the bike's CAN bus (two wires). This is true for the first generation 1400's, and I believe it is still the still applies for the latest versions.

There are some third party cables available that can make something like an ELM327 Bluetooth Diagnostic Tool (Code Reader/Scanner Adapter for OBD2, OBDII) connect to the Guzzi diagnostics port, but I've never had any luck making my ELM327 work. However, I have a new one on order, so may be able to report back if I can get it working.

That's what I was afraid of.Here in the States,federal law MANDATES that any motor vehicle imported for sale in this country, be "REQUIRED" to have this same ALDL connector plug as the cars,trucks,and motorcycles built here,do,or they can not be sold here.And all the foreign cars, including the Jap and British machines sold here,do,infact,have this ALDL connector plug.I have one on my Triumph which I have used a few times for diagnostic purposes.

When I first started looking at the Guzzi a few years ago,is when I discovered that the Guzzi did not comply with this mandate,but thought that they would have rectified that by now.Well, I guess they haven't.I don't know how they're able to get away with it. I have invested in some pretty expensive equipment to diagnose foreign and domestic cars and trucks,including motorcycles.So here's yet,another road block regarding me buying one of these machines.Sometimes ya just can't win for losing!!! I am disappointed,to say the least,but I thank you gentlemen for that information! Dave!!!

That's what I was afraid of.Here in the States,federal law MANDATES that any motor vehicle imported for sale in this country, be "REQUIRED" to have this same ALDL connector plug as the cars,trucks,and motorcycles built here,do,or they can not be sold here.And all the foreign cars, including the Jap and British machines sold here,do,infact,have this ALDL connector plug

Looking at the ALDL standard on Wilipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALDL) shows that the number of pins vary on the connector from 5 pins, 10 pins or 12 pins, and Logic 0 is represented by +5v or +12v. Lots of "standards" here.

TechnoResearch's Centurion or Alaris as mentioned by Todd allow for various diagnostics and display of many functions in a user friendly display. It connects to the Guzzi diagnostic plug directly. Other devices may require adaptor cables to connect, but it is still possible.

"Standards" is something you have to take with a grain of salt. Hell, we can't even agree on what side of the road to drive on!

I hear what you're sayin Dave and I thank you for your input,but I still don't understand how Moto Guzzi gets away with it while other foreign manufacturers have to comply.Now I do ALL my own work on everything I own[and then some] because this is what I did for a living until I retired,but, still dabble in it [just pick and choose now]. Gettin old, ya know.lol lol

Anyways, armed with this new information,which is what and why I came on board here to learn,I just don't see myself mounted on a Guzzi now or in the distant future.So now I will move on to something else.But again,I thank you and everyone else on this fine site for sharing information such as this, and putting up with me as my mind has now been made up.Thank you gentlemen!!! Dave!!!

All European vehicles, though not bikes, have the same OBDII port, is this different to the one you mention in the States?
Same as in the states (Triumph too as you likely know), just not on any Italia or Asian moto I am aware of.

Is the TR Alaris tool
(https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/tr-alaris/)
able to reset the service indicator on the 7SM ECU installed on the Aprilia Caponord 1200?
Ask them direct, or I can for you. Our friend Dave above found the user code on the C1400's for the owner to do so (yes Dave, '14 - current), so I'm sure one exists for the Capo. Try the Aprilia forums.

All European vehicles, though not bikes, have the same OBDII port, is this different to the one you mention in the States?

The above picture is the same ALDL [Assembly Line Diagnostic Link] connector plug [sometimes referred to as the J62 connector plug which came into being in the late 70's in the American cars and trucks] and that all vehicles sold in this country ,foreign and domestic,were required to have,as do all motorcycles now sold here starting around the turn of the century,[2000 up] because that's what was mandated by our infamous EPA's federal standards so it can be used for trouble shooting AND State Inspection,where applicable,to monitor and control air pollution standards [also set by our illustrious EPA]. My Triumph also has this same connector plug and I have already used my Snap On Solas Ultra Scan Tool [which cost me an unholy fortune] to tap into the system to trouble shoot it,along with many cars and trucks.But to the best of my knowledge,the Guzzi is the ONLY machine that has a different diagnostic connector plug.Why?? I don't know! And how Guzzi gets away with it,beats the sh** otta me.

Several years ago,when I first started looking at the Guzzi,I asked a local dealer if the California had the ALDL connector plug and he didn't have a clue as to what I was talkin about.So what does that tell me!! Then I spoke with another Guzzi dealer [who was on the ball ] and he's the one that told me that the plug was different.So I figured I'd wait a couple years to let Guzzi catch up with technology and the rest of the world.Well I guess that hasn't happened yet! And since my business was motor vehicle and motor vehicle law, I was also a State and Federal Inspector, which is why I don't understand why the Guzzi is different form other Manufacturers bikes, and or,how they got away with it !!! Dave!!!

And since my business was motor vehicle and motor vehicle law, I was also a State and Federal Inspector, which is why I don't understand why the Guzzi is different form other Manufacturers bikes, and or,how they got away with it !!! Dave!!!

It might possibly have something to do with the number of bikes they manufacture. The numbers are very low compared to most other brands. I believe this is also how they get away with not needing to comply to EPA rules for warranty on their exhaust systems.

It has nothing to do with the amount of machines built,where they're built , or who builds em.The rule is,if it's gonna be sold in this country,it WILL COMPLY with EPA standards,that connector plug bein just one of em,yet Guzzi, is getting away with it,and that's what I don't understand.I mean,personally,I don't have a problem with it and could give two sh*** one way of the other cause I disagree with most of the rules our illustrious EPA has put in place,but if you or I tried to do that, the Feds would breathin down our necks in record time. But I'll betcha a dollar to a dime,politics has somethin to do with it.???????????????????? Dave!!!

I've never owned a Ducati, but I understand the diagnostic port on these are a three or four pin connection.

And I believe Fiat use the same connector as Moto Guzzi.

What's the big deal?

It's really no big deal.The point is,all vehicles sold here in the States are supposed to have the same ALDL connector as every vehicle built here,yet they don't!! And you just pointed out two more manufacturers that have not complied.I just can't understand how they were able to accomplish this???? Personally,as I said in another post,I could care less!!! However,what's good for the goose,is good for the gander!! Follow me??? Dave!!!

The USA doesn't get some great Moto Guzzi models, like the Bellagio and the 8V 1200 Sports, probably because of compliance demands. If you piss them off to much with your compliance regulations, they might stop all models. This applies to other "foreign" manufacturers too.

Not to worry, there will always be HD and Indian to choose from.

The USA doesn't get some great Moto Guzzi models, like the Bellagio and the 8V 1200 Sports, probably because of compliance demands. If you piss them off to much with your compliance regulations, they might stop all models. This applies to other "foreign" manufacturers too.

Not to worry, there will always be HD and Indian to choose from.

I wouldn't p*** on a HD,and I did look at the Indian, but it did nothing for me.And to the best of my knowledge,every vehicle sold here, with the obvious exceptions mentioned above,and probably a few more we don't know about, are NOT in compliance,yet still sold here.I just don't get it!!

I too would like to see the ALDL. connector, but only because I own a pre 2014 model. From 2014 onwards you have access to the multimedia connector which supplies the majority of the ports you need. Specifically the Hi / low ports.

Since I do ALL MY OWN WORK on all my vehicles/equipment and motorcycles [as you probably know,the stealers usually screw up any and everything they touch]and have been doing it for the last 50 some odd years,so now I also carry a small diagnostic tool in my bikes' tool kit which plugs right into that ALDL connector, and have used it a number of times for myself as well as helping other motorist / cyclist,I've run across broken down on the side of the road.Ya see, that little diagnostic tool will tell me if it's computer related or something else so I have an idea of where to look.But, if the ALDL plug is different,then all bets are off.

Years ago,all the manufacturers used different connector ALDL plugs which created grief for anyone trying to trouble shoot a problem,unless of course,you were a dealer for that particular vehicle,hence another reason everything was standardized.But the main reason was for emissions testing,so any shop,which unfortunately will eventually include motorcycles too,can do it.Sooooooooooo!!! Can you say THANK YOU EPA?? GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Back