• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Technical question

It has nothing to do with the amount of machines built,where they're built , or who builds em.The rule is,if it's gonna be sold in this country,it WILL COMPLY with EPA standards,that connector plug bein just one of em
Is it your opinion of such(?), because I can't find such requirement anywhere online. Below from THIS website...

Though there is no exact answer as to why motorcycles don't use OBD II protocol can be diagnosed below.
  • Far fewer number of sales of motorcycles compared to cars, the average number of motorcycle sales in 2013 was 400,000 while the number of car sales was around 8 million. keep in mind that is just for the USA when you factor in the entire world the difference between a car and motorcycle sales are extremely wide, while someone can argue that in countries like India and Vietnam the motorcycles sales go upwards of 30 million about one tenth of them are actually fuel injected. So coming to the point, when you have a very very large gap between the car and motorcycle sales, there is no point in developing a dedicated protocol to govern the connectivity, it simply does not matter.

I wouldn't p*** on a HD...

I hate to see stuff like this posted here because Harley Davidson makes excellent motorcycles of which several members here either have owned, or currently own right now, myself included.

You can grumble all you want Dave, but the hard cold truth is that NO MANUFACTURER IN THE WORLD of motorcycles, supports its customer base like Harley Davidson. I'd be delighted if Piaggio did 1/10th the support for it's owners that Harley Davidson does.

I have been mounted on two wheels now for 55 years and the HD's built over those years had the most problems of all the bikes built over that period of time.And a lot of the bikers I stopped to help on the side of the road were riding Harleys!! And yes, HD has made significant advances and improved their machines immensely over those years.But they did not and still do not do anything for me.If they did,I'd own one.Believe me!!!

Does anyone know which ALDL connector the newer MG's use on their machines?? Is it the same as BMW uses,the Deucsh??? Thank you!! Dave!!!

Here's what's happening with the standardization of the plug.

Attachments

• Motorcycle Emissions, Motorcycle Exhausts | Motorcyclist.pdf
    66.4 KB · Views: 19
Dave is completely wrong.

"
That's what I was afraid of.Here in the States,federal law MANDATES that any motor vehicle imported for sale in this country, be "REQUIRED" to have this same ALDL connector plug as the cars,trucks,and motorcycles built here,do,or they can not be sold here"

OBD is not required for motorcycles, neither here in the US, nor Europe or Asia. However, Europe is currently implementing the standard to assit in compliance with Euro 5 regulations set to go into effect. (See previous post with attached .PDF)

"2.2 Federal OBD Regulation
Following the introduction of OBD requirements in California, OBD regulations were also adopted by the US EPA. The following have been the most important steps in the development of federal OBD requirements:

• Beginning with the 1994 model year, the EPA has required OBD systems on light-duty vehicles (LDVs) and light-duty trucks (LDTs).
  • Since 2005, OBD systems became mandatory for heavy-duty vehicles and engines up to 14,000 lbs GVWR.
  • In December 2008, EPA finalized OBD regulations for 2010 and later heavy-duty engines used in highway vehicles over 14,000 lbs GVWR and made changes to the OBD requirements for heavy-duty applications up to 14,000 lbs GVWR to align them with requirements for applications over 14,000 lbs GVWR."

"3.4 Standardization Requirements
OBD systems have a standardization requirement that makes diagnostics possible with a universal scan tool that is available to anyone—not just manufacturer’s repair facilities. The standardization requirements include:

• A standard data link connector
  • A standard protocol for communications with a scan tool
  • In-use performance ratio tracking and engine run time tracking requirements
  • Engine manufacturers must provide the aftermarket service and repair industry emission-related service information
  • Standardized functions to allow information to be accessed by a universal scan tool. These functions include:
    • Readiness status: The OBD system indicates “complete” or “not complete” for each of the monitored components and systems.
    • Data stream: A number of specific signals are made available through the standardized data link connector. Some of these include: torque and speed related data, temperatures, pressures, fuel system control parameters, fault codes and associated details, air flow, EGR system data, turbocharger data and aftertreatment data.
    • Freeze frame: The values of many of the important parameters available in the Data Stream are stored when a fault is detected.
    • Fault codes
    • Test results: Results of the most recent monitoring of the components and systems and the test limits established for monitoring the respective components and systems are stored and made available through the data link.
    • Software calibration identification: Software Calibration Verification Number.
    • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
    • Erasing emission-related diagnostic information: The emission-related diagnostic information can be erased if commanded by a scan tool (generic or enhanced) or if the power to the on-board computer is disconnected.
3.5 Deficiencies
OBD systems may still be conditionally certified even if they do not comply with one or more of the legal requirements outlined in the regulation and the manufacturer has made a good faith effort at compliance. In such cases, the OBD system is said to contain deficiencies. Deficiencies can only be carried over for up to 3 years.

For 2004 model year passenger cars, light-duty trucks and medium duty vehicles and engines and for 2013 and later heavy-duty engines for vehicles over 14,000 lbs, a fine is imposed on vehicles or engine containing multiple deficiencies sold in California. The amount of the fine depends on the number of deficiencies ($25 or $50/deficiency) and is levied on the third and subsequently identified deficiencies. In some cases for diesel fueled vehicles, the fine is levied on the fourth and subsequent deficiencies. The maximum fine per vehicle or per engine is $500."

http://transportpolicy.net/index.php?title=US:_OBD

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/obdprog/obdprog.htm

https://www.epa.gov/state-and-local-transportation

So it kinda looks like ALL the bikes [and it sounds like the cars and trucks too] manufactured in other countries,to be sold here in the States, will ,infact,be required to use the same ALDL connector plug as the cars and trucks,and some motorcycles,currently now use.I have the standard ALDL connector plug on my Tbird and it's a 2010 model,and have already tapped into the system with my scan tool to trouble shoot a couple problems I encountered with the system,not to mention a couple other models made over seas as well.

Soooooooooooooooo!!! To get back to my original question,does anyone know just which ALDL connector plug is currently being used on the 2017 and down, production Californias'??? The reason I ask is because I found a site that sells connector harnesses that will adapt from their ALDL plug to our standard ALDL plug so we can use our scan tools on those machines for diagnostic purposes.But we gotta know just which plug Guzzi is using.Follow me?? So should I invest in a new California,I wanna make sure I can get into their system for diagnostic purposes,otherwise the machine is no good to me.Ya see,I've had too many bad experiences with incompetent dealerships [and so have a lot of other guys] hence the reason I do my own work. Dave!!!

Dave,

Many of us here work on our own motorcycles and more than a few of us are well seasoned mechanics.

If you going to invest in a bike, invest in the correct tools, and Todd, the owner of this site, has sold many of us, an excellent tool for doing just what you want to do. He even listed the link for you in an earlier post.

https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/tr-alaris/

This system is commercially produced, has the software and drivers necessary to communicate with the onboard software within the Guzzi motorcycle ECU, and is fully supported by the company who produced it. All for a tiny price.

Just because you hunt down and obtain a connector, will not allow you to communicate with the ECU. You will still need specific software and drivers, which you will not have. The commercially available tool is the way to go. Trust us that have it. You get what you pay for.

Understood! Myself,I've only been in this business for 60 years so I'm kinda new at this mechanical stuff,lol, but understand where you're comin from.And I still haven't made a decision yet if i want one of these machines or not.I am leaning towards it,but need to be sure that I can work on it.If not,I'll look else wheres.But I thank you for your input! Dave!!!

Just google for 'Guzzidiags', it is a freeware PC software. Only buy the cable adaptor they recommend (no el cheapo eBay clones) and it works a charm to read error codes, clear them and do more advanced things like TPS reset, handle self-learning and reset trims. Originally developed for older Guzzis with IAW 5SM ECU but works also for Cali 1400 ECU for most functions (except ECU map reading/writing).

It can do many more other useful things, such as reading engine temps, A/F ratio, rpm, throttle position, etc etc.

Don't ask me for any support of the software, you will need to read for yourself and fully understand the instructions, there are no shortcuts for eliminating the learning curve.

Some time has passed since I asked this question and posted on here,and like anything else,things change.In my research,I discovered that there is a company out there[I forget the name at the moment] who makes a connector adapter cable to fit the Guzzi,as well as other machines that use that ALDL port,so you can plug into conventional scan tools used here in the states.In this country,the ALDL port under the dash is called the J62 connector plug.And it is my understanding that the port used by Guzzi as well as some other foreign built machines is called the J39 connector plug. So if this is true,you can buy that adapter plug and now tap into Guzzi's system ,as well as others,using a conventional scan tool.So if this is infact true,BRAVO!! lol lol Dave!!!

I had to refuel at a remote location and they only had 91 fuel. I usually fill with 95 as per the manual. My question is shall I refuel at half a tank with 98 or wait till the refuel light light comes on and fill up with 95 as per usual?

Actually,you have two options!! [1] You can just refill it with high test when it becomes available,or [2],you could always add alittle octane booster to the existing fuel.But as long as ya don't drive it hard,or lug it,you shouldn't hurt the motor using regular,as long as ya don't make a habit of it.But when you're out in no mans land and need gas,and regular is all that's available,it beats pushing it.lol Been there and done that! lol lol Dave!!!

I had to refuel at a remote location and they only had 91 fuel. I usually fill with 95 as per the manual. My question is shall I refuel at half a tank with 98 or wait till the refuel light light comes on and fill up with 95 as per usual?

I've run a few few tanks of 91 through mine when nothing else is available and it's never been a problem.

Back