• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Tenni ?'s

Will

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Anyway why are the Tenni bikes green?
In all the photos I've ever seen of Tenni he was riding black & white ones!

Perhaps not the first, but the reason in my mind:

Are there colour pics of Tenni and his bike(s)? Just asking, you know ;)

RJVB wrote:

Not possible. Even Omobono Tenni was black&white!

see for yourself:

DSC00131.jpg

For the green ones; I've only seen a Tenni in the lime-green and the "Tenni"- label in red, before the photo shown above.

RJVB wrote:
Since he was "golden" in the 30s, and photography was black and white, it's hard to find...

But I did find these:

His 500cc bi-cylidrica, 120-degree twin engineered in 1933.

His V8 TT winner:

His V8 TT winner:

Tenni never rode the V8 as he died in 1948 and the V8 didn't appear until the 1955 race season.
His only TT win was in the 1937 in the 250cc Lightweight race making him the first non-British rider to win any TT. He continued to race on the Island in Lightweight 250, Junior 350 & Senior 500 classes. His last appearance was in 1948 when he set the lap record on the Bilicindrica and looked likely to win until one clyinder developed a terminal misfire. I maybe wrong but I don't think the V8 was ever raced on the Island.......which was probably a good thing as it would probably have been lethal on the road circuit!

Dickie Dale finished fourth in the 1957 IoM TT on the V8 even though it was only running on 7 cylinders.
The silver/matt green faired Guzzis appeared in the early to mid 1950s though the early Gambalunghinos and Gambalungas had silver tanks, but no fairings.
It has often puzzled me why the V11 and now Griso "Tenni" models were so called since the Guzzis that Tenni rode were the two tone red (amaranth and carmine ?) .
That all said I think the colour scheme and wire wheels certainly make it a stunner.
Miine's on order ;-)
Cheers
Gordon

Gordon wrote:
It has often puzzled me why the V11 and now Griso "Tenni" models were so called since the Guzzis that Tenni rode were the two tone red (amaranth and carmine ?) .

Cheers
Gordon

They needed a name us knucklehead Americans could pronounce....and that an American word..."Tennies".....meaning rubber sports shoes.

he set the lap record on the Bilicindrica and looked likely to win until one clyinder developed a terminal misfire

Dickie Dale finished fourth in the 1957 IoM TT on the V8 even though it was only running on 7 cylinders

Hmmm.......makes me wonder how they ever managed to finish when they were racing singles!
Is this the original source of the dodgy Italian electrics legend?

Gordon wrote:
Gordon

The V11 Tenni was called that because it came with a spare suede seat [Omobono used suede seats exclusively on his race machines; my theory is that they helped keep him from flying off the bike (as often) with the less-than-compliant suspension & rough roads they had back then...] It was released in 2002, which was some important anniversary for the company (50th of GP sweep?) and came in racing livery [the matte green & silver of the V8, Guzzi's still great claim to fame.]

So as you can see, it was a mish-mash of commemorative tie-ins, and it looked like nothing else on the road, didn't suffer from the vapor-lock issues of the other 01/02 V11s (due to it's different fuel pump? filter? location supposedly), was a limited edition model [what spine frame isn't, when you get right down to it?] and in general, is more "famous for being famous" than any Guzzi since the V8.

Don't know if the Griso "Tenni" model is called that by the company or not; I think it's just an appellation that has been stuck on it [due to the paint scheme] by the Guzzisti who have been intrigued by it's press release... :p

Back