• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

test ride day

Roblatt

High Miler
Yesterday I attended the John Sample test ride day. The bikes I had pre booked were the V7 and the Stelvio. I also gave the Aprilia Dorsoduro a go since there was a vacancy.

We rode in groups on a probably 10-15 km run each time running through open straight stretches, twisty up and down hill bits, light traffic and suburban side streets. It really was a good variety of roads with plenty of areas to get the front wheel up - I didn't but others on Aprilias did.

The V7 I thought was the surprise package. It is light agile and can really mumbo when needed. I could not believe how quick I was cornering on this thing without noticing. It behaved well on the slow stretches and was not left behind when the roads opened up.
I absolutely loved this bike and could easily live with it. It is comfortable with good ergonomics, although I do look sill on it because it's small and I'm large. The only issues I had were the mirrors are useless with bar end mirrors probably better suited, and the long throw from 1st to 2nd.

The Stelvio is ergonomically excellent. They had 2, one set with the high seat, the other low seating. I got the high seat. I found this too high (I think I'm 6") but I am used to the Breva. At low speed and take off it was excellent with no jerkiness like the B11, just smooth fueling right up to red line (oops, did I say that!) and constant pulling all the way (and in all gears). This is a really easy bike to ride and while it is quite large, it feels as light as a 250cc when flicking through corners. Corners just happen even at what I would normally call too fast. The grunt coming out of the corners was.... noticeable.
You could easily ride this all day and not get tired. Even the seat has proper padding. What I didn't like is the plastic belly pan looks cheap and flimsy, I would've thought it should a least resemble a real bash plate. The instrument cluster is another disappointment with a digital speedo that in sunlight occasionally becoming hard to see.

The Dorsoduro is a motard style bike. You sit on it not in it. The gearbox was too stiff, I could rarely find neutral, and if you click into 1st at the lights, forget up shifting to neutral, the lever doesn't move. Heaps of go with 3 fuel maps, I just set it to the middle setting which was scary enough.
In all not my style of mount so I hated it. I took it out to see what the fuss is about. I still haven't worked that out.

Would I change my B11 for any of the above. No. The V7 is too small now I'm used to a bigger bike and touring with pillion and luggage may be difficult.

With the Stelvio, I would have trouble deciding between it and the Breva if I was to buy right now. I'd probably choose the Stelvio but the Breva is a prettier bike. I wouldn't change because I don't think the Stelvio can go anywhere the Breva can't for the riding I do. They are similar in purpose, different in looks.

It was good to test back to back and then jump back on the B11 for the trip home as a comparison. Familiarity is an interesting thing. Like and old glove on slipped onto my old friend and went home. Comfortable, relaxed everything happening automatically the way it does after a period of time. I'm happy with my mount. She stays.

I hope this wasn't too long. These are my thoughts only and we all think differently. My opinions are only that and I know you will agree and disagree in areas.

A bloody good day out! Thanks John Sample and the team at A1.

cheers

Robert

Not to long at all, but a clear ride report. :)

Never rode the V7c or Stelvio but I think I'll come to the same conclusion. I'm a bit smaller though the V7c would suit me. (I owned a Breva 750) I really like the looks of the bike. Since my trip to Norway and have ridden a lot of unpaved roads on my B11 I think I don't need a Stelvio for that. The Breva is comfortable enough fore long distance riding fully packed up, easy in manouvering through city traffic and when you fall like I did :angry: , it doesn't get that much damage as a Norge.
But to be honest I like every Guzzi, just the Breva is the most practical choice for me.

If I had the time and the money I would have a Modern Guzzi Museum I guess... :p

Nice report, roblatt. Not too long, not too short ... just too few pictures ;)

Which V7 was that?

I figured there's enough pics on this site for people to see the bikes if they are unfamiliar. As for the V7, it was the classic. The sport will be out in a month or two, and they've invited me back for that one. I will of course be taking them up on the kind offer.

Robert

Kym best way to get progress on kitchens is leave it, go for a ride, and think about how it all needs to go together. Worked for me for about a year. Then she cottoned on.

A ride sounds like an excellent idea. Let's see if we can get a few others too.

cheers

Robert

Back