• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

the art of crashing

I've been lucky enough to get to the age where I am going to be difficult to take out, that is, unless I do it to myself by trying to ride beyond my diminishing abilities. Every car or truck, whether meeting me, sitting on the side of the road, getting ready to pull out or even those in front of me are automatically my enemies. I almost always run "escape" scenarios through my head, always assuming the cager will do something stupid or dangerous. If I have no legitimate escape route, then I simply slow down. Riding a motorcycle, IMHO, makes us much better car drivers. We can use the same thought processes when in a car and always have a "plan" when someone comes at us.

My only serious accident occurred when I was coming home from work one very hot (105 deg.) day in July. I was bone tired and was not paying attention to the mirrors as I slowed to let a car turn in front of me. All of a sudden, my KLR, was standing on its front wheel, and, for a split second, I somehow thought the chain had broken. Don't ask why, that's just what went through my mind before the forks compressed all the way and the front wheel locked against the fender. When I regained consciousness, I was sliding backwards down the highway as my bike passed me, also sliding. Then a red car passed me, and I thought it was just trying to avoid me. It turns out the red car was what hit me, driven by a very drunk, unlicensed, uninsured, and multiple felon young male.

My new motorcycle was reduced to a total loss, and I was introduced to severe "road rash" , a dislocated rib, a bruised kidney and a feeling that King Kong had flailed me against the side of the Empire State Building for several hours. The only reason I wasn't injured seriously, I believe, is because I was totally worn out and therefore "loose" when I went airborne.

I honestly never had time to think, worry, be scared or anything at all. It happened in the blink of an eye.

Now, I have a hard and fast rule when on the bike or even in the car. Either pass me, fall back or catch me. No one is allowed to tailgate for long, and I am very defensive when it comes to anyone around me.

I am convinced my attitude has saved my bacon several times and equally convinced it will continue to do so in the future.

Now I worry mostly about skinning up the motorcycle when I occasionally drop it in a parking lot or do something equally stupid like fail to get the sidestand all the way out :blush:

Good article. When i started racing short curcuit as a kid we were always told that when we come off (usually a slide out ) always stay with the bike cause it's easier for those following to miss one object than 2.
However on the road it's a different story. I have always thought that if i were to part with my bike i would try to roll myself up and go with it, and after reading this article it seems i am on the mark, but putting theory to practice may be the crucial factor when it's all happening so fast.
My biggest concern with a possible get off is losing skin and i know that although i always wear protective clothing with knee, shoulder and elbow protectors once i'm sliding along the ground these protectors are going to be twisted out of position and become useless while my skin is assaulted by bitumen and gravel. This thought alone always keeps me off the limit.

a few years ago while racing sidecars i had the problem of the main bracket holding the fairing let go, unforturnatly it was on the fastest part of the track. with a left hand kink .with no run off to speak of and no steering ,as the fairing had fell under the front wheel i slammed into the armco,luckily my passenger bailled out , and only suffered a broken wrist.5 months later they let me out of hospital, and when i went my to first out patient phyiso meeting iwent on my VFR750 and in the car park i forgot i was on a solo and did'nt put my feet down and fell under the bike and broke one of my legs again. at least i did;nt have far to go this time. baz

a few years ago while racing sidecars i had the problem of the main bracket holding the fairing let go, unforturnatly it was on the fastest part of the track. with a left hand kink .with no run off to speak of and no steering ,as the fairing had fell under the front wheel i slammed into the armco,luckily my passenger bailled out , and only suffered a broken wrist.5 months later they let me out of hospital, and when i went my to first out patient phyiso meeting iwent on my VFR750 and in the car park i forgot i was on a solo and did'nt put my feet down and fell under the bike and broke one of my legs again. at least i did;nt have far to go this time. baz

OUCH :woohoo:

swagzz survival rules
Rule 1: Everthing & Everyone is out to kill you.
Rule 2: Always ride faster than the traffic,you are always coming up on other vehicles.
Rule 3: Defend your road space- keep your position where you can't be easily squeezed
Rule 4: Stay out of blindspots
Rule 5: Ride to conditions
Rule 6: Ride within your limits.
Rule 7: Everything & Everyone is out to kill you.

Back