Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY PRODUCT or other website hyperlinks. This means to ANY products OR to other Forums . We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's a privately funded website. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

the chore of flogging 525 poneys worth 236k$ up the Stelvio

Discussion in '24-7 Lounge' started by RJVB, Sep 26, 2011.

1. RJVB

RJVB GT Reference

2. Holt

Holt High Miler GT Contributor

Re: the chore of flogging 525 poneys worth 236k$ up the Stel

Well;

There are newspapers and there are Newspapers...

But I comply fully. What a bore.

3. Morizzi

Morizzi Cruisin' Guzzisti

I can see your point but I can see the article's point too.

First I would like to point out an error. Ascending the Stelvio, from the north, via Prad is the tight line as you drive on the RH side of the road.

I recently rode the Stelvio and I found it very similar to the author's experience. It was a chore and dangerous. Trying to inch the bike around amazingly tight RH turns in first gear at barely above idle. The tight switchback and stone wall made looking around the corner impossible so if you met a vehilce coming the other way then it was a really unwanted surprise.

As for not knowing how trucks and buses cope, that is easy, they perform a 3-5 point turn in the corners.

I rode up the Stelvio, then down. Fortunately I was early enough to beat most other traffic. Later that day I was returning from St Moritz and came into the Selvio via the back pass. It has a small section of dirt but is in fair condition. I again rode to the peak, this time from the south then descended to Prad. The increase in tourist traffic made it all the more dangerous.

The place was full of D vehicles. RV's, cars and BMW's. I had to head for the dirt on a couple of occassions when an idiot was on my side of the road overtaking on a blind corner from the other direction.

I have a tick in the box. I have ridden the Stelvio but have no plans to return except the camping ground in Prad was excellent if not a bit pricey. There are other roads in the region that are far better for riding, allowing you to maintain some speed and revs. I have a couple of favourites but I'll keep them to myself.

I also rode to Romania just to ride the Tranfagarasan Highway that Top Gear had featured. It was interesting but cold and the surface has deteriated a lot, especially to the south down by the dam.

I know where I will return to and enjoy alpine roads where traffic is seldom seen and the dangerous morons are attracted elsewhere to the big names.

Rod

4. Daniel Kalal

Daniel Kalal Cruisin' Guzzisti

I did Stelvio on a Guzzi California. Full-lock first gear turns isn't what this bike is made for. The scenery is just amazing. Really something. But, a great motorcycle road? There are better. Guzzis like sweep. Stelvio Pass does not have that. An early wide-bar Griso might be the best of the Guzzis to have on this road.

5. slipknot

slipknot Just got it firing! GT Contributor

I have not ridden the Stelvio Pass but I have crossed the Swiss Alps on other roads with lots of switchbacks. I found it much like drag racing, from point to point. There are endless miles of chicanes along the mountains of Sardinia which are much more fun and more like road racing, more challenging I thought. They did get close to one thing right, the Guzzi Stelvio would be the better tool. Much more fun. And far better looking than the Audi. Just looking at pics give me stomach pains.

On another note, I just got a copy of Moto Guzzi, The Complete History from 1921 by Mario Colombo and everyone should own a copy.

6. Mark_Sassafras

Mark_Sassafras Tuned and Synch'ed

I don't know why Top Gear rated it so highly. Corners too sharp for me, especially the north side. But then again I was on a Suzuki Intruder, 2 up, and it was raining. The scenery was great, so I suppose I will just have to go back when it is dry.

Attached Files:

7. Joe Bar

Joe Bar Tuned and Synch'ed

I did the Stelvio a couple of years back on my Megamoto, got an early start with little traffic, awesome run on exactly the right bike for the job. Easy, upright riding postion, plenty of low down torque to punch out of the corners, wide bars and grippy tyres. :D :cool:

8. Holt

Holt High Miler GT Contributor

I've done Stelvio a couple of times. Out of the worse season it's a cool ride, but I think it's a bit overvalued, there are lots of other Alp-passes giving much more joy, as the Stelvio seems to be right out crowded today.

Bormio 2007:

[​IMG]

-and 2010:

[​IMG]