• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

the cost of money, or, of witholding safety data

SgtCrump wrote:
Wouldn't that come under the heading of "natural selection"?

Yes, I suppose, if the c/p-using drivers killed only themselves.

As for hands-free data, I won't argue with data. I do not use c/p when driving, period ... OK, mostly because I don't drive much. But must admit that I see a distinction between mental and motor distraction. Both would seem a problem, and, in the abstract, probably are. But it's hard to outlaw daydreaming, etc., and the reality is we have to come sort of balance and accommodation of cellphone use, including whiile in a motor vehicle.

From my own data collection, acquired while riding, the greatest observed danger has not come from c/p usage per se, but from those dialing, texting, or even just holding the device. The last leads to no turn signals and less head-turning before lane changes, etc.

OTOH, my wife's new MINI has a very impressive hands-free system that requires virtually no contact with buttons, much less a separate device. And, as it couple steering-wheel on-off, etc., buttons with voice-commands, she can use her commute to hold conversations that I am not sure pose much danger to herself or others on the road ... except when they involve grandbabies, which lead to mall visits, which lead to credit-card bills!

I still have misgivings about it, but remain unconvinced that hands-free c/p use is as bad as "regular" c/p use.

Bill :laugh:

Re:the cost of money, or, of witholding safety dat

Voil

We (USA) have laws on the books about driving while distracted - but they rarely are enforced, though could be for anything including cell phone use. Unfortunately, we seem to have adopted a mindset that government must do something - pass a new law - and not just enforce the ones already in effect.

It's been said that you can't put the Gennie back in the bottle. Given life as we know it has become too full of distractions, coffee to go, lunch in the car, cell phones, tv's, text messages, reading while driving, putting on make-up on the go, car sex, multi tasking, four wheel drive and abs giving false sense of security, just plain old impatience... it's not all that surprising that accidents happen, people are hurt and some are killed. It's dangerous to be out on public roads but the best defense is to ride/drive defensively. Nothing is going to change with car drivers, laws won't stop cell phone useage, jail won't, complaining won't either. The best we can do is to stay alert, teach our kids to drive the same way and assume everyone is an idiot, cause they mostly are.

vivo

Well said, Vivo....

I have a car with OnStar, which includes the phone. I takes one button push to activate it, or answer it. Otherwise, I am just talking, and the other person could just as easily be in the back seat........so should we outlaw all conversations in cars????

Nope, but the big difference here is that the person on the other side of the phone connection is not in the same situation as you are, so doesn't have an idea of what's going on in your surroundings, and cannot warn you if s/he/they happen(s) to see something you don't.

There's another important thing about hands-free sets. As an outsider riding, driving or walking close enough to a car to be in potential danger because of it, you can (usually) see when the driver is talking with another person, or holding a phone to his/er ear. With a hands-free set, you simply can't.

Cat City Rider wrote:
Even hands free you can see. They drive like a drunk. Often going slower and slower.

Kathi must be an anomaly ... "slower and slower" is not in her repertoire. I am not sure this car was a good idea. :eek:hmy:

See why here:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandin ... leid=en_US

Don't worry, only 2 pix. :p

Bill

Hands free is fine.

Let's ban radios, cd players etc. in the car, oh, and while we're at it you will NOT be allowed to hold a conversation with any passenger while driving.

How about this?... Cannot start an automobile unless you pass the onboard breathelizer! If you blow over the limit the car doesn't start! How about manditory JAIL time for school bus drivers that fail to make certain school children are seated and belted with proper shoulder belts as in all cars? How about two year continuing education for drivers, a two hour class/ 2 years. How bout sensors in all cars that talk to signal lights issueing BIG GIANT fines to offending drivers? Want more?

Personally I don't think that accidents can be regulated away. I have a better idea... Life has some risk...assume responsibility for what you do and be alert. If you are involved in an accident it shouldn't be a shock, these things do happen and they will always happen, slip and fall in the tub, maybe we need to wear safety helmets while bathing? I'm not sure how you can get people to behave? As long as cell phones are in the mainstream they will be misused. It's going to happen regardless, if cell useage is safe or not. I think truthfully it depends on the driver. Not everyone has the same skill level else I would be another Rossi! I think I'm more alert than some other coma drivers who take almost forever to see that the light has changed but I also know I'm not 100% everyday! I'm also smart enough to know an awful lot of folks aren't twenty percent some days. What they are doing in that car is irrelevant, day dreaming will kill me just as quick as a text messager! Who's to blame doesn't matter when you're on a bike. I feel no better being right with my legs all mangled than had I been the one to go through a red light!

All this stuff stinks, it may be very hard to really change. I do think driver education might help for whatever that's worth... it's good to have the info on cell misuse... it's not really so much a surprise

Now if I can just get some good car sex while on the move....ahh never mind

vivo

RJVB wrote:
Nope, but the big difference here is that the person on the other side of the phone connection is not in the same situation as you are, so doesn't have an idea of what's going on in your surroundings, and cannot warn you if s/he/they happen(s) to see something you don't.

There's another important thing about hands-free sets. As an outsider riding, driving or walking close enough to a car to be in potential danger because of it, you can (usually) see when the driver is talking with another person, or holding a phone to his/er ear. With a hands-free set, you simply can't.

Soooo....you are saying that I should hire a passenger to ride along if I'm alone, because I can't drive with just my own eyes???? How about, if I'm talking to my wife, and she is in the kitchen at home....how about if she just yells "LOOK OUT" once in a while???

....and if I see someone driving, and that person appears to be talking, but is looking at me and has both hands on the wheel at 10 oclock and 2 oclock.....I'm still in danger....it's a miracle that everyone in a NASCAR race isn't killed, since they are ALL talking to their crews on hands free systems.

I'd be afraid of crashing myself, while I'm trying to determine which drivers around me are talking on the phone. I think I'll just continue to drive defensively, and not worry about who has a phone. Folks who don't take driving seriously are going to be distracted regardless of what their car is equipped with.

Back