• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

The future of the GuzziTech Forum

Vote for the future of Forum.GuzziTech.com

• Leave as-is, it works.

Votes: 74 70.5%
  • Condense the Topics so there's less to look through.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I think just a few big Categories is best

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • I visit this Forum only when I need to find Tech info

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like a cluster of info, and rely on the Search engine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't really care

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
I kind of liked the old Mild Guzzi format of Big Blocks and Small Blocks. Maybe that was just me.

I have never had any problems with the set up of this site ;)
Leave it :cool:
I like the fact that if i don't have the time and i'm looking for something specific i can go straight to it. Or i can just graze at my leasure and take it all in.

I love this format, I just review the active posts, that lets me see interesting posts that I might not come across when sticking to categories.

I find the layout is clear and easy to navigate.

If it's the future where we are all headed then lumping the CARC bikes all together with "older" Guzzis will frustrate new owners with irrelevant info.

I subscribe to an Oz email Guzzi list (AIGOR) and while a very congenial bunch and the discussion is mostly very interesting, the number of CARC relevant threads is small.

Maybe there is something in that with relevance to the current problem?

I like the way this site is laid out.. I don't have to go hunting through pages and pages of stuff that has no relevance to me to find info. I find the "cram everything together" type of site frustrating even though it gives the perception of much more traffic. Adding a link to the store would be a good thing too.
Oh.. and change where the GuzziTech home page points to. Have it point straight to the forum with links to the other stuff so new people looking don't have to look for the forum..

I'd vote fewer categories. Something about so many categories and so much segregation makes my brain seize up and my eyes start to bleed. JMO, though.

I think Mike and Greg have both hit on the fundamental problem. New bike owners with only one Guzzi really don't get much other than casual interest when reading about the older bikes. Older bike owners with no intention of moving up don't care about CARC's and cam recalls and such. And then the omnivorous types like Greg want to see everything, and it is much tougher slogging through various sections.

Tough call. I like it as is. I go to the invaluable Stelvio section every day, and then poke around the other sections when I have some downtime.

Lee

bigtex said:
Tough call. I like it as is. I go to the invaluable Stelvio section every day, and then poke around the other sections when I have some downtime.

Lee

+1

I hate it when people do the +1 thing.

While I was visiting the all important Stelvio sections just now, I realized (sometimes I'm a little slow), that I see no diference in the types of posts in the tech and chat sections. Perhaps you can combine them. In most cases, the thread counts look fairly low.

I think the number of categories could be reduced.
For instance, look through all the different CARC bike sections, and very similar points are in all of them. The basic bike is the same in most cases, so why not lump them all together?

Clam, I've been working on trying to make that happen for almost two years now. Last Summer, when I was nearly ready to launch it, we lost all of the data to a server crash. It's again been in the works for the last few months. Hopefully this "Winter" I'll finally have some time to complete it. Aaron has been pivotal in helping make this happen.

All: On the Categories... I agree that the traffic is light due to the fact that some of the models have their own e-mails lists that are active (yes, even to this day). That said, some of the biggest trafficked Forums are well divided and organized. I really don't want to break from this theme too much. That said, how about a few major sections on the main Forum page, and the rest within from there. As shown below... <-Two Main Categories->, bold links to subsections, and underlined items are the main sections from there. Tech & Chat for each would be combined. Input?

<-Tech & Chat->
>>Big Block<<
CARC>
B/N/S12
G11/8V/Bell
Stelvio
Tonti
Loop
Spine
Quota
>>Small Block<<
>>Vintage Mono<<

<-MG-RA.org->
Chat
Ride Reports
24/7Lounge
Regional

Some thoughts in no particular order or importance -just thoughts

1) The consensus from the poll seems to be leave it as just it is, do we not believe an interpretation of the poll stats are representative of the general user population and therefore the poll results are wrong and we should ignore them?

2) Adding a header section with chat/tech etc internally just creates another click to get to where the user wants to be. Rule number one of internet web design - absolutely no more than 3 clicks to get to the good stuff, and if you can do it in 1 from the landing page then all the better and user will perceive the site as being easy to navigate and probably click through to other pages more readily.

3) Collapsing the current chat and tech sections into one means less click through to gt to the good stuff and would therefore be an improvement from that perspective.

3) I wonder what would be the result of a poll asking "do you know that there is a GT web site attached to the forum" - I suspect the answer will be many percentage points in the negative. I for one have very rarely looked at it.

People are funny things. We are really good at deciding what we like best out of the options presented to us, but generally not as good at coming up with an independent option which is better than any of the choices. This is why "experts" get paid a lot of money to design things.

I would bet that if Todd's (and apparently my vision as well) of guzzitech came to fruition, people would LOVE it. It would COMPLETELY re-invent guzzitech.com, not just re-arrange the chairs. But the polls clearly indicate that leaving things the way they are is best.

Part of that is that people are comfortable where they are. We all like to keep things familiar.

Part of that is, there is no option in the polls to completely re-invent things, and if there were, everyone will have a diferent mental image. Some good, some bad, and would vote accordingly.

an active and organized synergy of discussion, home-grown product offerings, updates, services, and archives for old info would be amazing, and i would be PROUD to be a participant. What we have now is all of those things, combined under the name guzzitech, but there is no fluid transition between all of the elements, and you have to know what you want where to look to find what you are looking for. The guzzitech main page has a TOTALLY different (and much older ) flavor than the board. The elements are there, but there is NO synergy.

Keeping things as they are, as per the poll majority, will never accomplish this. Things will just be added on as they come, and the old stuff on the board will only be accessible though a search, which only helps you if you know what you are looking for. All the info on the main page will not be accessible through the board. Customers will remain a small, cliquish group of active board participants.

I doubt that very many of the people who want to keep things as they are, would like to see the outcome i just described.

Todd, I usually prefer to be an active participant in the solution, rather than throw money at the problem, But if there is something i can do to make such a vision possible...

Please leave as is!

Changes will be a waste of energy, and personally I think changes will scare some people away. It's like visting the local grocery store, finding that they have moved around at all the shelves and products. You become scared and confused and go to the store next to instead. ;)

Problem with polls on this kind of forum software is that you get the possibility to answer before reading through all the thread. I voted to "leave as is", because that's the one that was closest to my thoughts.

And that's another point with polls (as with democracy :silly:): they'll give you the most support for the pre-conceived option that's closest to what most people actually think.

Where exactly is Spaceclam's vision? I didn't see it on the previous (first) page...

So I'm going to counterdict a bit what I voted... or rather, develop on something I think might be done IF something is going to be done.

Anyway, I agree that the Tech & Chat sections often do overlap. That's not a problem with the concept, it's a problem with the ones initiating threads... and we mods can only do so much to tidy things up.

I agree (couldn't do so more) with Mike that the fewer clicks to get somewhere, the better. That's the reason I use the "new posts since last visit" function exclusively (and too bad if it's unreliable :unsure: ). As I've suggested before, it would be helpful if the search results on that page would carry an indication showing more relevant information than just "Tech" or "Chat". If posted correctly, a thread about (say) clutch issues would be labelled "Tech" whether it concerns an 8V model, or a California, which doesn't teach us anything.

One way to get there would be to make Chat and Tech main sections ... but that would mean someone who only has interest in the Stelvio would have to click on 2 links that aren't very close on the index page, to get where s/he wants.

Can I plug the guzzi.webemoi organisation? Look at http://guzzi.webemoi.com/index.php (or, in translation). There's a big section breaking down the models/series, and then there's something that would equate to a big Chat section broken down into a number of categories (there's a "Bistrot" in there, equivalent to our Lounge, which is accessible only to logged-in members). And then there's the Classifieds section.

That actually works pretty well if I want to go find an old thread.

To wrap this up: how much user preference does the board software allow in this? I know one can selected "threaded" or "flat" display (or something of the sort) for individual threads, but is it possible to give a choice over the index organisation?
(That of course would apply only to the choice what categorisation order to apply between Model and Chat/Tech, coz a thread can only be posted in a single category. hmmm. :unsure: )

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :lol:

go on be daring , clik on something different,
you might even like it.
If Todd thinks he can improve what he's running here by all means give it a shot.
I have this morbid fear o :( f becoming a boring old fart who's opposed to change because I have to get out of my comfort zone.

Back