• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

The Garage

Muley

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I have always longed for a nice shop or garage, roomy, well lighted, fully equipped with tools of every kind, neatly arranged in drawers, cabinets, or hanging up on special tool boards. I would have a motorcycle lift on one side and even a pit for auto and truck oil changes on the other side. The entire place would be plumbed for compressed air at strategic locations. Of course, my shop would house several motorcycles, from antique to new, as well as an old, restored pickup truck and maybe my dream car, a Cobra A/C:cheer: .

An area reserved for welding and light machine work complete with all the necessary equipment (not to mention the knowledge to operate said machinery:blush: ) is in the plans.

For comfort, there would be ceiling fans, air conditioning, and a pot-bellied stove surrounded by rocking chairs and perhaps a recliner or two. The floor would be pristine, covered with epoxy paint and not a drop of oil would be found there. A large refrigerator fully stocked with various beverages is required. I can see a double sliding door leading out to a patio or deck with a state of the art BBQ grill. A kickass sound system programmed to play my choice of pop 50’s and 60’s tunes along with classic country is in the vision.

I have had the privilege to see several such shops, and I can think of nothing else that impresses me more (at my current age anyway), but getting to that point myself seems to be nothing less than impossible.

To begin with, I wouldn’t know how to use all the equipment even if someone gave it to me, much less afford to buy all of it. I absolutely cannot straighten up a mess for very long, and as years go by, the stuff just keeps piling up. If I ever get around to sorting out my tools, I would not be surprised to find two, three, or even four of everything since I tend to misplace things and go buy a replacement on a regular basis.

My garage started life as a place to house two cars, a couple of freezers and a spare refrigerator. The cars were finally evicted when my mother-in-law failed to stop and nearly drove through the laundry room wall, then kept backing into a closed garage door, and added insult to injury by clipping the side of the door with her side mirrors when she backed out. After the cars were put out to pasture in the driveway, I moved the lawnmowers and one motorcycle in. I had already added cabinets along a wall to house miscellaneous tools, and the cabinet top was to be a workbench of sorts. I believe it is against the laws of nature to have an empty surface in a garage, and now the work table is completely covered with junk. The two dogs that sleep under one side of the table don’t seem to mind one bit. They come and go through a built-in, swinging dog door that seems to be the only unobstructed area in the room. Then came the large, woodworking machines like a table saw and router table. Next came a second motorcycle and all of my large stash of Amsoil which I use in everything from mowers to farm tractor. The final straw was the old cabinets, counters, and appliances which were removed in a recent and complete overhaul of the kitchen. The wife has a nice, new “shop” anyway.

The place is almost beyond hope, and I am completely out of room in the 450 sq. ft. area. When I went out there tonight to attempt to put away some tools the idea struck me to see if some of you would share pictures of your shop or garage. Seriously, which of us doesn’t lust for a nice place to get away and tinker with all of our toys?

I hereby submit pictures of the interior of my garage and challenge anyone to prove they have a bigger mess than me.

It is my wish that sometime in the not-so-distant future I can post pictures again showing remarkable improvement. Let’s all make New Year’s resolutions, albeit a little late, to clean up our garages and create something to be proud of. Of course, those of you who have already achieved perfection are invited to show the rest of us pictures for inspiration.

P.S. I finally posted enough BS to achieve the “tuned and synch’ed” category. I was determined to do so until the “finishing the test ride” went away.

standing by

(you're lucky that function doesn't cause me to consume more energy than in most other ways I could be shut off :silly: )

G'day Muley,
I ALSO UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 'BEST OF INTENTIONS' AND REALITY :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
And your garage sounds like mine sans the dog (he died recently but we didnt find him for a couple of days)

THE DUST FREE:laugh: AREA

THE OTHER PART

THE DOGS LAST CHRISTMAS

:( :( :( ( BUT THE GUZZIS FIRST ON THE ROAD IN 20 YEARS)

Kym in Bairnsdale

Kym in Bairnsdale wrote:

And your garage sounds like mine sans the dog (he died recently but we didnt find him for a couple of days)

I hate to ask, but was the reason you didn't find the dog for a couple of days because of the clutter in your garage?:laugh:

Ah, yes! If only........

My garage is of double-car size but has only a single-car door due to site limitations. That allows for one car and two bikes comfortably, plus a long bench etc.etc.etc. Lots of drawers, cupboards and shelving. Many hanging tools but even more hidden in drawers and cupboards. Heating, yes. Fridges and freezers - no. They produce condensation. Fixed ventilation. A window with a view. And a very important lavatory and hand-wash basin. But - 42 years of accumulated "stuff" has taken its toll and no longer can I find everything, let alone remember what is in there. Maybe it's true when it's said that a tidy workshop is a sign of inactivity.......

It's amazing what some people can achieve with modest facilities.

Graham

NO NO NO NO a tidy shed is a definite sign of banal old age!!!!!!!!! :eek:hmy: ;)

Muley - don't do it, the best ideas come when surrounded by heaps of junk and "stuff". Leave the tidy neat deck and other niceties where they belong, a shed is an expression of your innermost feelings, now who didn't like making a BIG mess with teh toys when a child, come on admit it.... so you see a messy shed is the natural order of things. Shed tidyness is for those that don't "create" but "assemble" things.

My shed is a single car garage.

With crap averywhere and several very crazy projects all at varying stages of completion, just the way I like it.

Mike C. suggested :

Muley - don't do it, the best ideas come when surrounded by heaps of junk and "stuff"

I showed this to the wife and she's headed up to Atlanta tomorrow, apparently to board a plane for Oz and come down there and kick your ass real good:laugh:

BTW, that drill press is nice! Since you'll be "indisposed" for a rather long while after her visit, can I borrow it:silly:

PS What exactly are you going to make out of that roll of rump ribbon sitting on the band saw:p I never knew it could be "worked" with blades.

Strewth - I'm heading for the hills, of course you can borrow the mill while I'm gone, it's bloody heavy though and shut the door on your way out will you - thanks ! :laugh:

The art of making Guzzi parts using the Date Roll as a raw material, is a subject that takes a week to learn and a life time to master. A forum such as this just doesn't allow long enough connected when typing a post before assuming that you're asleep at the keyboard and no longer mentally connected to do the subject justice - you will have to wait until after your good missus has gone and then we can go play in the "shed" and I'll show you.... :p

This board software is so full of options that I'm sure we could connect a webcam to monitor the 2 of you! Never leave 2 boys in the heat of age alone to play!! :p

BTW, MikeC, before you go walkabout — is there a crazy shed project to give wings to your Guzzi (or the wife's, maybe)? :silly:

Talking about the board ... Todd ought to be posting some pics of his new shed now that it's still reasonably new!

Muley ... sorry for pulling your leg with my standby quip! You painted a picture clearer than a thousand photos! I just missed the (water?)bed and jacuzzi! ;)

Well, my garage is 30 meters x 10 meters, we only have two cars and guess what?
I had to buy a 40 ft shipping container for the bike! Now it's dust free, clean, and no one bumps it since I have the only key!

What's in the garage I hear you ask?

Storage for "she who must be obeyed" and her hobby.

RJVB wrote:
before you go walkabout — is there a crazy shed project to give wings to your Guzzi (or the wife's, maybe)?

Actually they are the wings for

1) a 1/4 scale Cosmic Wind pylon racer
2) a 1/4 scale MKIII Spitfire
3) a RAAF Link trainer

And this is what is hanging in our lounge room, a 1/4 scale Curtis P40N

Big boy's toy's

P4022374.jpg

P4022373.jpg

P4022375.jpg

Say, Dan ... I can post that kind of pics too .... but it won't be my garage ;)

geodoc showed us some pictures of Japanese motorcyclist apartments. It's not a new idea, I don't believe, just look at the picture of "Thunder Tower", a Harley dealership near Columbia, SC. Are those Japanese apartments for Harleys:laugh:

sm%20tower400.jpg

Back