• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

The Good Oil

I use Amsoil in all of my vehicles but when I called Amsoil about an oil for the Guzzi, they recommended straight 60 wt. The manual recommends 10 w 60 and I'm not comfortable with the Amsoil recommendation so have been using Motul, the dealers oil.

I am also a user of Amsoil and I ran the 20W-50 in my Norge but so far the Agip 10W-60 in my 1400. I also would not use the straight 60.

I also am a fan of Amsoil. I debated for a good period over which oil to use, i was leaning with the 20W50. In the end my first oil change was using ENI 10W60, it is not a common oil to find where i live. I will revisit later with Amsoil.

Hey guys what is the good oil to use in C14's? I am a REDLINE fan but have never run it in a Guzzi?

O goody, an oil thread!

I like Redline too, but where can you buy it in New Zealand at a reasonable price? I've used Redline 10w-60 in my Cali 1400 Custom when it was still in the USA, but was forced to switch to an alternative (Penrite 10 tenths Premium 5 5W-60 Synthetic). I guess I feel comfortable with my alternative choice.

Hi Kiwi Dave.

Why dont you use ENI i-RIDE 10W-60 as recommended, is it hard to find up Auckland?
We sell it down here in Nelson for $65 for a 4 litre pack.

Hi Kiwi Dave.

Why dont you use ENI i-RIDE 10W-60 as recommended, is it hard to find up Auckland?
We sell it down here in Nelson for $65 for a 4 litre pack.

Never seen it around up here. Although ENI i-RIDE 10W-60 is specifically mentioned in the handbook, they also say
"As an alternative for recommended oils, top-branded oils that meet or exceed the requirements of CCMC G-4
A.P.I. SG specifications can be used."

See what an oil thread brings out?

I am also a user of Amsoil and I ran the 20W-50 in my Norge but so far the Agip 10W-60 in my 1400. I also would not use the straight 60.
Correction. I was just in the garage and while my gearbox oil is Agip the engine is ENI. I bought the oil change kit from AF1 and forgot when I posted that is what they sent.
I know you all were concerned. :wasntme:

Agip and Eni are one in the same. From what I understand Eni i-ride will replace Agip as their motorcycle range of engine, gear, fork oils etc. Also just to confuse us it can also be branded as Aprilia Racing and PG (For Piaggio Group ?).
Here in New Zealand you should have no problem finding a supplier of nearly the whole range of Eni -i ride oils.
If you are in the top of the South it is stock at Trojan Engineering, 03-547-0178.

I also am a fan of Amsoil. I debated for a good period over which oil to use, i was leaning with the 20W50. In the end my first oil change was using ENI 10W60, it is not a common oil to find where i live. I will revisit later with Amsoil.
Yes, I'm going to check back later with Amsoil too. If you get any updated information, please post it here.

Amsoil has a new dirt bike 10w-60 oil. Not sure if they would recommend it for our bikes. The big claim is great clutch action but since we have dry clutches that is not a concern.

Here are the specs of the recommenced oil ENI 10W60.

eni i-Ride PG 10W-60 is a top synthetic technology lubricant developed using the top level technology base oils and additives. It has been specifically designed for high performance four-stroke engines of motorcycles.
Characteristics (typical figures) SAE Grade 10W-60
Viscosity at 100°C mm²/s 23.5
Viscosity at 40°C mm²/s 160
Viscosity Index - 177
Viscosity at -25 °C mPa·s 6800
Flash Point °C 225
Pour Point °C -36
Mass Density at 15°C kg/l 0.856
The special synthetic base oils used ensure superb resistance to high operating temperatures and excellent stability thanks to the key role played by our specifically developed additives system. These characteristics make this product especially suitable for use in competition. Specifications eni i-Ride PG 10W-60 meets the requirements of the following specifications: - JASO MA,

Motul 7100 4T in 10w-60. Going in at the 6000 mile service. Used the 10W40 version for years in the GSF1250. Never an oil issue and clean UOA's.
My $.02

I use Amsoil in all of my vehicles but when I called Amsoil about an oil for the Guzzi, they recommended straight 60 wt. The manual recommends 10 w 60 and I'm not comfortable with the Amsoil recommendation so have been using Motul, the dealers oil.
I was at the January 3rd 2015 Supercross at Anaheim and visited the Amsoil tent. Their rep told me to use their straight 60 In my 2012 Stelvio.

I was at the January 3rd 2015 Supercross at Anaheim and visited the Amsoil tent. Their rep told me to use their straight 60 In my 2012 Stelvio.

Well of course he did...his job is to sell oil! Now get that in writing so when you start your Stelvio on a 40 degree F morning, you can then replace all of the main and rod bearings that oil starved and went metal to metal because the straight 60 you bought is as thick as cold honey, on Amsoil's dime. And I will stipulate that Amsoil makes a quality product.
In all seriousness, manufacturers engineers choose oil weight for a reason. Grade and brand are much less important as a general statement. Italian V twins are NOT HD's or even 1970's Chevy's. Those have bearing clearances you could sling a cat through. And while I have never had a Guzzi twin apart I have numerous others since my first engine in 1975. With modern CNC machining, superior alloys, combined with the superior quality of most all 100% synthetic oils these days, the bearing clearances are tight. Much tighter than even 20 years ago. How fast can your oil pump move cold honey to your critical bearings? And at what pressure? I don't know...do you?
I don't want to have the argument with ANY manufacturer about engine failure, and not have at least the correct WEIGHT in the crankcase...YMMV.
Kirk

Anyone had any luck quieting the noisy valves/lifters with a change of oil brand? I'm gonna guess that a thicker oil would help but not sure I wanna deviate from MGs specs.

Just completed a third oil change. Could not find the recommenced Guzzi Italian oil here in Victoria Canada, decided to use Castrol 10W60 TWS Edge. This time I meticulously filled and checked oil dipstick level, only used 3.5 liters was expecting to use 4 liters. Tomorrow planning a long run with dipstick checks along the way, still wondering about the other half liter that the manual calls for.

Just completed a third oil change. Could not find the recommenced Guzzi Italian oil here in Victoria Canada, decided to use Castrol 10W60 TWS Edge. This time I meticulously filled and checked oil dipstick level, only used 3.5 liters was expecting to use 4 liters. Tomorrow planning a long run with dipstick checks along the way, still wondering about the other half liter that the manual calls for.

What oil filter have you used? I am going to be doing the 6000 mile oil change and discovered that MG installs the fluted style oil filter, but sells the non-fluted filter for replacements.

Back