• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

The Indian Chief Predecessor

kiwi dave

GT Reference
I posted this originally on an Indian forum, but got very little response. So I'm hoping you guys can help me.

Many years ago, I was touring southern California on a Moto Guzzi (California!). I joined another rider who was on a Victory (I can't remember which model). It had the same iconic motor as my current 2017 Indian Chief. My Chief motor has the valve covers that are modelled to resemble a side valve V-twin, and this bike had the same style of valve covers.

I've searched the interweb looking for this model of Polaris and/or Victory but haven't managed to find a suitable photo to jolt my memory. Perhaps I have my models mixed up? At the time the Indian name was being revived by Kawasaki, my research shows a Kawasaki Drifter 800 cc, but the pictures I've managed to view does not include the "side-valve" rocker covers look.

Can anyone help jog my fading memory?

Indian Chief 111 cu inch motor

Hi Dave, you’re confusing yourself it seems. (Polaris) Indian launched in 2013 with the Thunderstroke 111 engine you have pictured above. Victory never had such and engine with this (side valve) look, only the Vision and Cross Country models shown below.

DB2E0F79 8FBE 4382 8079 60813EC27E76
6540D25D F829 46FA BBA3 48934EF7CF1B
With some irony, though the public in large would likely not know this, but the new Indian Challenger was developed as a Victory. It never saw the light of day until 2020 as an Indian. Side by side, you can see the engine lineage.
EC84D859 7C0B 49C6 A4C9 8E04D50D29CD

Hi Dave, you’re confusing yourself it seems. (Polaris) Indian launched in 2013 with the Thunderstroke 111 engine you have pictured above.

You're right Todd, I'm very good at confusing myself. In fact it would have been 2013 when I purchased my first Cali 1400 (1st in the USA I'm claiming, but that's another bone of contention) when I laid my eyes on the Indian Chief with the iconic "side valve" V-twin motor that I've posted above (of my 2017 Indian Chief).

What I was thinking of was the Victory with the "bottle-cap" motor earlier than this. I saw one down in Long Beach after visiting Moto Guzzi Classics, it was a good looking bike.

Thanks for the link, Todd. Which Victory model had the "bottle-cap" motor that I was referring too? I looked at all the models in the article, but I just couldn't see it.

Then again, my eyes are only painted on.

Closing in on a decade of Vic ownership and club involvement here...not sure that the timeframe aligns but might you be thinking of the Octane....which set the stage for (and was superior to) the Scout?
They are a little bottle-cappy, though not channeled like the Indian heads.
victory-octane-performance-exhaust-motorcycle-2-into-1.jpg

Closing in on a decade of Vic ownership and club involvement here...not sure that the timeframe aligns but might you be thinking of the Octane....which set the stage for (and was superior to) the Scout?
They are a little bottle-cappy, though not channeled like the Indian heads.
victory-octane-performance-exhaust-motorcycle-2-into-1.jpg

Nope. It wasn't this one. The valve covers resembled crown tops on a non-screw top beer bottle.

Thanks for the link, Todd. Which Victory model had the "bottle-cap" motor that I was referring too? I looked at all the models in the article, but I just couldn't see it.
Then again, my eyes are only painted on.
Welcome, and sorry... can't recall any model that had such an engine. All of the models are shown on that link (outside of the Octane, which I nearly completely forgot about).

I'd say Harley panhead given pushrod tubes and some other cues. Maybe custom machined covers or something from back in the day.

Edit...then again: ebay.com/itm/184618614984
Edit2: So, Indian as it turns out. Here's some backstory: jamltd.com/Powerplus engine.html

I've found an image of the motor in a custom frame. If it's not a Victory, any idea what it's off?
Ah, yep, saying it was a Vic threw me off. Per above, that was the "Kings Mountain" (N.C) Powerplus (S&S) V-twin (shown below).
This is my memory of it confirmed by Wiki:
'99-03 - Gilroy (California Motorcycle Company - CMC) Indian.
'06-11 - King's Mountain (N.C. - Stellican Limited, a London-based private equity firm) Indian (below).
'11 - current: Polaris Ind - Spirit Lake, Iowa production. They actually ran small production numbers of the bike below until the official launch at Sturgis 2013 (which I was graciously part of, pic below).

2010 Indian ChiefVintagec

Backstage at the Buffalo Chip, riding one of the bikes for the unveil.
F9959392 0B9C 461A 9885 BD580A5ABEA7

Back