• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

The nerd in me has reared it's head again

Spaceclam

Cruisin' Guzzisti
So i read once that motorcycle news clocked a stock G11, with a 180 lb/ish rider, 0-60 in 3.9s, i think it was. In real world terms, that sounds reasonable. Slow for a bike, but gives a carrera a run for it's money.

But i got to thinking. 70 hp at the rear wheel, how is this possible, from a physics standpoint. So, i whipped out my calculator, and did some math.

520 lbs + 180 lbs rider =700 lbs, or 317.5kg

60mph=26.82m/s

if V(final)=V(initial) +AT, then 26.82=0+3.9A, acceleration = 6.8776 m/s^2. (That's about 2/3 of a G force laterally)

Distance=.5*A*T^2 so the distance traveled in 3.9s is 52.3m. So total joules = 52.3*317.5*6.8776, =114207.3J,

spread over 3.9s is 29283.9 joules/second (watts)

1hp is 740 watts, so that's an average of 39.5 hp. Basically, only 57% the energy measured at the rear on a dyno wheel turns into actual motion in this instance.

I know a tremendous amount of energy goes to squat the suspension, there's a slight delay for shifting gears and starting off, and the tires flex a lot, and some wind resistance towards the end. But are these things really THAT inefficient?

Just to put things into perspective. If the engine is running at 10% efficiency (90% loss) through the drag, there is a 10% loss in the drive train, (90% efficiency) and there is a 43% loss (57% efficiency) of power to the rear wheel, which leaves 39.5hp, then the transformation from gasoline to movenemt has an efficiency of about 5.1%.

Of course these numbers are too low, because while the clutch is being operated, power is NOT being transmitted, but time continues to elapse, lowering the average power.

But still,
Astounding. :ugeek:
-Clam

Clam: The guy who pulls the trigger has a huge impact on how quickly something accelerates. One who knows what he's doing will be much quicker than one who doesn't.
FBC

I read somewhere a Guzzi racer wrote that there is a 16-18% drivetrain loss on shaft drives, depending on its wear level, but a chain drive loses 8% with a correctly tensioned chain, going up to 25% before re-tensioning/renewal.

It could always be that Guzzi make up a number and add 20% for the engine output, much like the Japanese do :D

Another thing to consider is that the engine spends a good amount of time (when you're only talking 3.9 seconds) at much lower rpms than where the peak HP is. Also, how well the rider picked their shift points near the peak. I had a friend who raced on a drag racing circuit and he regularly hopped in my car and would beat my best time by 2 tenths. It would piss me off all the time :)

You are averaging it out over the 3.9 seconds.
While it is not that simple, it does make sense that the average power would be 1/2 of the maximum power.
Oh, and drive train losses are already accounted for in the rear wheel dyno numbers. My Griso posted about 80 hp at the rear wheel (before the pipe and PCV), I know those numbers can vary depending on multiple things but if the motor makes about 100 hp or so then 80 at the wheel makes sense.

I only used the drivetrain efficiency when calculating the efficiency of the fuel's transformation into kinetic energy.

It's not part of the equasion for acceleration, as we are SOLVING for the total power output, based upon acceleration, distance, and time.

Back