• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

The tweaking has begun!

Katie

Just got it firing!
So, only 250 miles so far but have just installed a Healtech Thunderbox UB02. Noticed when using a heated vest that it wouldn't start immediately so figured the battery was waiting to get going. Have put in the Thunderbox and wired in the Keis cable and the TomTom. Quick test shows that it doesn't go live until the bike is running smooth (exactly what's meant to happen) and have a proper commute tomorrow so will let you know.

Have also noticed that with the Givi touring screen at full height, there are some serious rattles when hitting bumps while the bike is at an angle. Not sure if it's the extra weight/height but trying to think of ways to minimise the sideways movement (and noise).

Otherwise loving the bike and really looking forward to taking the training wheels off, post 1st service :)

Have also noticed that with the Givi touring screen at full height, there are some serious rattles when hitting bumps while the bike is at an angle. Not sure if it's the extra weight/height but trying to think of ways to minimise the sideways movement (and noise).
I have the Guzzi touring screen, which is a little taller than the OEM screen, but several inches lower than the GIVI. I have to have it at max height WITH an xcreen extender to get reasonable wind blockage (for me).

Problem is, as you noted, with the screen fully “up,” it’s pretty wiggly. Mine will rattle on harsh roads/bumps, but I characterize it more as wiggling, and feeling loose. My dealer checked it out when I first received the bike and noticed it - a year ago this week! (I have almost 6k miles on it now). They checked it out and said nothing was loose, but recommended having it at the lower heights for better stability. In my case, the left side is noticeably wobblier than the right side - dealer said that’s because the raising/lowering mechanism is on the right side, and probably makes that side a little more solid.

So, I decided to go with a taller screen and maybe run it in the lower height, hoping for more stability. I have tried to order the GIVI screen from the GTM store (was told a couple weeks ago there were some headed in from the warehouse), but no word yet. You may have a good point about the size/weight of the GIVI …. That in combination with a fairly flimsy mechanism, might be pushing the design limitations of the drive unit (especially if riding at full height). Good luck!

I have the Guzzi touring screen, which is a little taller than the OEM screen, but several inches lower than the GIVI. I have to have it at max height WITH an xcreen extender to get reasonable wind blockage (for me).

Problem is, as you noted, with the screen fully “up,” it’s pretty wiggly. Mine will rattle on harsh roads/bumps, but I characterize it more as wiggling, and feeling loose. My dealer checked it out when I first received the bike and noticed it - a year ago this week! (I have almost 6k miles on it now). They checked it out and said nothing was loose, but recommended having it at the lower heights for better stability. In my case, the left side is noticeably wobblier than the right side - dealer said that’s because the raising/lowering mechanism is on the right side, and probably makes that side a little more solid.

So, I decided to go with a taller screen and maybe run it in the lower height, hoping for more stability. I have tried to order the GIVI screen from the GTM store (was told a couple weeks ago there were some headed in from the warehouse), but no word yet. You may have a good point about the size/weight of the GIVI …. That in combination with a fairly flimsy mechanism, might be pushing the design limitations of the drive unit (especially if riding at full height). Good luck!

Helpful, thanks BDS. Always good to know I'm not being overly sensitive!

Love the advice from the dealer not to use one of the reasons you bought the bike :D

I've got theOEM Touring screen and I'm a bit meh about it. It does work and it's better than the standard screen on the bike I tested but.....It's still gets quite a lot of wind noise at speed although very little below 60. I do wear ear plugs which helps. I've looked into Givi and CalSci but the latter in particular is huge. IMO it's like a huge Harley screen which if that's what I wanted is what I'd be riding.
What I also notice is that you definitely need to be going slower if you want o adjust it. Slower than the 58 mph it tells you.

I noticed with the stock screen at just above the lowest position results in less turbulence, for the lack of a better word. There isn't any buffeting as such in really any position but at that slightly raised position the turbulence is the least. I got a Biondi screen from a member here, which is 3.5 inches taller than the stock screen. It also works the best in the same position. I have not been really happy with any screen I have tried on the variety of bikes I have owned other than the full Avon fairing I had on my R75/5.
kk

I guess if you ride a bike you will get a degree of wind / buffeting / turbulence etc. call it what you will. I guess if I wanted to avoid it totally I'd just drive a car.

• Haha
Reactions: BDS
…or if to avoid buffeting, ride with the std OEM screen in the lowest setting?
I don’t understand the chase with one larger wind screen than the other.
Then why not buy a bike with a huge fairing from the start?
I think it looks awkward with especially tall screens on the Mandello, or small add-on deflectors on the top.
But the taste is off course different, hey ho :)

A lot depends on how/when you use your bike. I love riding and have no interest in owning a car but my commute is 93 miles each way and I ride all year. At 6am, I don't even want to be out of bed let alone being cold, wind and rain blasted at 90 70 mph! Handguards, big screen, heated clothing, multiple layers - it's all there ☺️

For leisure rides and touring, very different picture. Fully vented jacket, short boots and gloves, and single-layer jeans take over 😎

…or if to avoid buffeting, ride with the std OEM screen in the lowest setting?
I don’t understand the chase with one larger wind screen than the other.
Then why not buy a bike with a huge fairing from the start?
I think it looks awkward with especially tall screens on the Mandello, or small add-on deflectors on the top.
But the taste is off course different, hey ho :)
Pretty well agree with you. Also I find that excessively large screens don't do great at higher speeds. There has to be a tradeoff I suppose.

Generally I`m puzzled that the factories can spend a £Brazilian on touring bikes with screens that hinder comfortable touring either through buffeting , wind noise or both. I`ve owned or ridden several including Multstradas, Aprilia Caponord, 2 x 1100 Brevas, a Norge, an old Stelvio and a couple of BMWs.
The best with just standard equipment for me was the Stelvio which I think had the most vertical/least aerodynamic screen of the lot. All the others required additional frames, spacers, wind deflectors or alternative screens of various heights.
Other things worth changing or removing are handguards and mirrors as they are out there in the breeze disturbing the air. I was amazed at the difference on an old monster when I replaced the standard mirrors with bar end ones. Wind noise practically eliminated.
Someone told me that a lot of the noise is caused by air that comes in at the base of a screen which reacts with air at the top of the screen. I don`t know if that is correct but it is I suppose why after market parts like this are becoming available, shown here on V85 fitted just ahead of the fuel tank :-

A lot depends on how/when you use your bike. I love riding and have no interest in owning a car but my commute is 93 miles each way and I ride all year. At 6am, I don't even want to be out of bed let alone being cold, wind and rain blasted at 90 70 mph! Handguards, big screen, heated clothing, multiple layers - it's all there ☺️

For leisure rides and touring, very different picture. Fully vented jacket, short boots and gloves, and single-layer jeans take over 😎
Spot on Katie.

I like chocolate ice cream; I don't see the point of trying to convince someone who prefers vanilla that they should really like chocolate. Maybe they already tried it and simply prefer vanilla. Great. Do what suits you.

If there is ever a short block Norge maybe I will try that. But I wanted a Guzzi, so until then I've dressed up the V100 to suit my needs just as you did.

T2

Back