• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Thinking of getting a 2007 1100 Griso, with 10,000 MILES

Not really, it is the 2 valve head. If you do purchase it do research the service for the swing arm bearings and rear shock linkage.

Read on here about speedo sensor and problems with instrument cluster relating to water and other problems. Almost reaching the conclusion that these bikes are not reliable!

The engine isn't running. Neutral light and side stand light are illuminated, but not the oil pressure warning light. Seems odd to me, I messaged the seller who said that it doesn't show with the ignition on.

Asked about the 11.5 volts showing on battery. Owner said it had a new battery last year, and if the bike is not used, the alarm drains it. Is he correct?

Griso dash

Last edited:
Read on here about speedo sensor and problems with instrument cluster relating to water and other problems. Almost reaching the conclusion that these bikes are not reliable!
The engine isn't running. Neutral light and side stand light are illuminated, but not the oil pressure warning light. Seems odd to me, I messaged the seller who said that it doesn't show with the ignition on.

Asked about the 11.5 volts showing on battery. Owner said it had a new battery last year, and if the bike is not used, the alarm drains it. Is he correct?
Welcome to the GT Forum. Showing up here and insulting the brand isn't a good way to start. ;)
Search and read. You will find plenty of answers. They are actually rock-solid motorbikes, once the little niggles have been sorted. There are (most often) owner-induced problems and hurdles, but if you're a hands-on guy, you'll be good if you take a preventative plan of attack. Be sure to search and read up on the User Code.
A 2007 model year Guzzi puts it at ~15 years old, so imagine what even a Japanese bike presents at that age. Most have to be nearly restored at that point.
All of the dash lights are correct. You may occasionally see a quick flash of the oil pressure only on start up if the oil level is low.
Yes the electrical system will put a slight parasitic drain on the battery. You can disable the flashing light via the dashboard. Best to keep the battery on a tender. AGMs are at the end of their service life, even new is terrible these days. Please don't try to argue or debate me on this simple fact. I see dozens of them in my workshop. As stated above, dashboard display voltage is always lower than with a meter on the battery terminals.

All in all, the end of production model 1100-2V'ers are one of the most durable Guzzis to date. Hope that helps.

Thank you. Reading forums before owning a particular bike is probably not a good thing to do. I've never owned a bike with a plastic tank before, bit of a concern, Reading about swelling and mico blistering. Am I right in thinking that what seems to be the top of the tank is actually a cover for the proper tank? Any particular place I should be looking at on tank? I should point out that I have a problem over analysing most things in my life. 🙄

From what Ive read they just swell, can be awkward if its removed and then refitting, I have also read that the steering yoke can contact the tank in some cases, there's plenty on the web about the issue, even a class action suit in the States with Ducati to replace the tank as its a safety issue.

Thank you. Reading forums before owning a particular bike is probably not a good thing to do. I've never owned a bike with a plastic tank before, bit of a concern…

You think?

Nobody ever goes and writes a post about how great their motorcycle is but everybody will post something bad about their bike, and curiously, they always fail to mention how they caused the problem themselves.

Case in point, there is a very recent post about a guy who carved up the wiring on his 2021 Moto Guzzi to put in “aftermarket” fender and rear lights. He never bothers to check about his wiring which is not 1970’s straight wires, but rather is a CANbus network.

Low and behold, once he cut the CANbus, things didn’t work right or behave as he thought they should.

Dumb. Just plain dumb. Self inflicted misery of the highest order.

Let me give you the best piece of advice a mechanic can…

NEVER EVER FOR ANY REASON, CUT AN UNMOLESTED WIRING LOOM FOR ANY REASON. IT IS THE EPITOME OF STUPID. PULL A NEW CIRCUIT ALWAYS.

Your best friend here is SEARCH.

The water saturated ethanol moving through the nylon tanks and getting between the tank surface and the paint, is covered very well here. You need only SEARCH and read. The tanks do not leak.

There is almost no topic or issue at all that isn’t covered here. You just need to read.

I recommend reading to familiarize yourself with what has gone wrong in others motorcycles and save your irrational judgement about the marque itself until you actually get some experience with it.

Did I mention “READ”. 😆

It always cracks me up at my workshop, how people gave funny ideas about “reliable” vs “unreliable” marques of motorcycles.

I work on everything and guess what, everything breaks. Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, BMW, KTM, Moto Guzzi, Aprilia, Harley-Davidson, Triumph, Indian, Ural, CanAm, Piaggio, Vespa, all of them.

I’ve repaired them all.

Last edited:
My newest bike is my 2004 bmw 1150GS.Not much in the way of fancy electronics, as for the Cali'3😊. I over think about these things🙄

Is the problem just annoying or can the tanks leak?
My 2010 V7 was originally fitted with a plastic/nylon fuel tank. After less than 1,500 miles the tank material had reacted with the ethanol in the fuel causing the tank to swell considerably in all directions. It swelled to the extent that the tank could no longer engage both rubber side mounts. Also the length of the tank grew to the extent that it was nearly impossible to install the rear mounting bolt. But it never leaked fuel.

My resolve? I pitched it in the trash and bought a steel tank.

Jason

It’s not ethanol. It’s water which ethanol pulls directly out of the air because it is hygroscopic. The water then migrates through the nylon.

It’s not ethanol. It’s water which ethanol pulls directly out of the air because it is hygroscopic. The water then migrates through the nylon.
Ah, thanks for that.

So the nylon tank material, like polyurethane, is also hygroscopic.

Jason

No. Ethanol is hygroscopic. The nylon material the tank is constructed of, has sub-microscopic porosity coupled with hydrogen bond donors and acceptors, which allows water to migrate through it, working its way towards the surface between the tank and paint, and this is what causes the swelling and paint bubbling.

Last edited:
You think?

Nobody ever goes and writes a post about how great their motorcycle is but everybody will post something bad about their bike, and curiously, they always fail to mention how they caused the problem themselves.

Case in point, there is a very recent post about a guy who carved up the wiring on his 2021 Moto Guzzi to put in “aftermarket” fender and rear lights. He never bothers to check about his wiring which is not 1970’s straight wires, but rather is a CANbus network.

Low and behold, once he cut the CANbus, things didn’t work right or behave as he thought they should.

Dumb. Just plain dumb. Self inflicted misery of the highest order.

Let me give you the best piece of advice a mechanic can…

NEVER EVER FOR ANY REASON, CUT AN UNMOLESTED WIRING LOOM FOR ANY REASON. IT IS THE EPITOME OF STUPID. PULL A NEW CIRCUIT ALWAYS.

Your best friend here is SEARCH.

The water saturated ethanol moving through the nylon tanks and getting between the tank surface and the paint, is covered very well here. You need only SEARCH and read. The tanks do not leak.

There is almost no topic or issue at all that isn’t covered here. You just need to read.

I recommend reading to familiarize yourself with what has gone wrong in others motorcycles and save your irrational judgement about the marque itself until you actually get some experience with it.

Did I mention “READ”. 😆

It always cracks me up at my workshop, how people gave funny ideas about “reliable” vs “unreliable” marques of motorcycles.

I work on everything and guess what, everything breaks. Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, BMW, KTM, Moto Guzzi, Aprilia, Harley-Davidson, Triumph, Indian, Ural, CanAm, Piaggio, Vespa, all of them.

I’ve repaired them all.
I've had my Cali' since 2012

Back