• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Throttle body balancing for Quota 1100 ES

Rafael

GT Reference
The Quota is running better now that it has a Power Commander installed. Not as jerky and more power on the top end. We Checked the TB synching with the Carbmate electronic TB synchronizer, great tool, easier, faster, and more accurate than the Motion-Pro Syncpro. Found it out of synch; surprise! Didn't get anywhere with the adjustment though. The Q is a nightmare compared to the B11!

Anybody an a good technique for balancing this thing? The web page for Roger Garlick's instructions, posted here on GT, is gone missing. The shop manual is, as usual, not that helpful, vague, and written in Italglish. I've read the 'Tuning the Guzzi EFI' on the MPH web site, it was helpful for understanding the system and the goals but not complete enough for me to get it done. Can the adjustment be made without removing the gas tank? How long of a flex ratchet is needed? Which is the 'throttle adjusting screw' for the TPS adjustment? And finally, is a CO metering/adjustment required if a PCIII is installed? Appreciate any help.

thanks, Rafael

First close the air bypass screws. Then with a long screwdriver loosen the one butterfly with an adjustment. At idle synchronize the two plates. This is about as good as you can get one. Don't bother to open an air bypass after. I think MPH had a procedure up at one time, but I don't see it on their site now. It seems like you need several very small hands to accomplish this, but it can be done.

I found the article on MPH's web site. http://www.mphcycles.com/OldSite/Technical/Tech.html It's mostly helpful for the V11s and not as detailed on Quota. I'll leave the gas tank connected but lifted to gain access. There seems to be a plastic cover in the way as well it has to come out.

Any clue on the TPS adjustment. I tried reading the shop manual again. Frustrating! Have to eat an Italian dinner to sooth the frustration or take the Breva for a spin.

thanks, Rafael

I rode Roger Garlicks Quota a fair amount after he set it up, it was the smoothest, nicest idling guzzi other than my lemans I had ridden. several years later when Chuck from Indiana bought it, it did not seem to run as smooth.... Chuck inherited it that way. Roger found the trick for Quota's

We finally got around to balancing this thing. After reading what I could find, (Here's another a procedure if found on AdvRider:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215106&page=8), I determined that it would be easier to balance the throttle body with the gas tank off. So here's what we did.

Before starting check the vacuum balance at 3k rpm with the air bypass closed, if it's one CM off, that's close enough, avoid the procedure.
Remove the gas tank and place on a table on the left side.
Remove the fuel return line on the right side and install an temporary hose long enough to reach the tank on the left, about 3 feet.
Cap the 7/16" diameter fuel line on the right with a plastic or rubber plug.
Connect one of the wire connector to the closest petcock. The wire comes out of the main wiring harness on the left side of split spine frame. Extend the fuel line to the electrically connected petcock with a piece of hose and butt connector.
If the balance favored the right side, you will need to raise up the Fast Idle Lever "D" and down if it favored the left. Lever "D"acts as the stop for the idle speed as well.
Remove the air filter box and the plastic protective cover over the TB gears. Now you can work from the top without squeezing your hands into the hot mess.
Loosen screw "C" Butterfly synch Adj. Screw while holding the cable guide with the other hand. This is not an adjustment screw but a lock screw. Use a little penetrating fluid to help. A stubby slot driver is best. Now move Lever "D" a bit and retighten screw "C".

Check your balance at 3k rpm, if its off, keep making adjustments till you get it right. It's a crap shoot!
We got it spot on after about ten tries. The idle vacuum favored one side when we were done but left the air bypass closed as recommended.

Now for the TPS, we checked the TPS with the VDSTS and found it at .6, spec on MPH web page calls for 1.4 +/- .3. was off by a bit. So, we adjusted screw "E" and opened the throttle angle to 1.4. But we were unable to lower the idle speed to 1100 rpm with the idle adjustment screw "A". This is an indication the the TPS is not aligned properly.

Next: Look for the voltage spec for the TPS at fully closed throttle position and check it. I'll post again when we get that done.

Attachments

• 189751846_8Tys9-O.jpg
    189751846_8Tys9-O.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,086
There is no easy way. sounds like you have it handled tho. Did my Quota took 3-4 hours. Take the tank off put the tank on etc etc.

Back