• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Throttle Lag...

trialsn

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
HI all,

So I've had my first service completed on my bike and I'm running into a couple of issues. My first issue is rough idle when starting the bike cold (question asked in another thread). The second and more perplexing issue is throttle versus acceleration lag. This is hard to explain but when acceleration (not in any particular gear), it seems that there is a lag, almost as if the bike is limping along with half the power and torque. Basically, the bike will accelerate extremely slow in a uniform linear fashion even with the throttle opened all the way. Then the bike will suddenly wake up and accelerate as it normally should, catching me off guard. I've never had this prior to the first service.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Chris

Man, that sucks. My first guess would be an intake leak or mapping issue.
Did the dealer do a re-map when you did the first service?
I would also check spark plug wire connections to the plugs, as those were probably taken off for the valve setting and head bolt re-torque.
Just have to nail it down, I know some of the earlier models had an issue with the cam position sensor burning out.
Let us know what you find out, you might pop the seat off and make sure they didn't leave a rag in the intake...lol.
Just another quick thought, the idle functions with a stepper motor, then as you open the throttle, the throttle position sensor sends a signal to the ECU calling for more fuel.
It almost sounds like your throttle position sensor is messed up. Like it is not sensing the position of he throttle correctly.

Did you have the valve clearances done at the service (they should have done it). Depending on the dealer, I have seen them do the gaps with the engine still warm, which is a bad idea. You will end up with a larger gap than spec and valves that do not open enough and will give you the performance you are experiencing.

As already suggested, TPS reset will also do it. They should have sync'd the TB on the first service. If they forgot (or did it incorrectly) to reset the TPS it will run like crap, usually on the rich side which will bog you down on acceleration and crappy idle.

I will be a simple fix what ever it is, just need to get them to straighten it out.

It's a brand new bike, and ran "decently" before the service. Take it back and have them fix it. See if you can find out what they did, and post. That's the only way we can help.

Also, '13+ V7's are are single throttle body, so nothing to sync. A TPS reset and AutoLearn parameters is critical. The plug wires and caps can tend to be a little fragile. Valve lash is also important.

The low idle is only when starting the bike cold. Once it warms up, there are no issues at all. Of course when I say cold, I mean the ambient temperature in an underground garage, which isn't that cold and considering I've never had this issue before leaves me puzzled.

I rode the bike to work today and it almost seems that if the bike is not on a level surface, the weird throttle response acts up. Now this could be shear coincidence, but it was definitely present when leaving my garage which is ramped upwards to ground level. I hope it's an easy fix since it happens at least once a ride.

Cheers,
Chris

It's a brand new bike, and ran "decently" before the service. Take it back and have them fix it. See if you can find out what they did, and post. That's the only way we can help.

Also, '13+ V7's are are single throttle body, so nothing to sync. A TPS reset and AutoLearn parameters is critical. The plug wires and caps can tend to be a little fragile. Valve lash is also important.
I will show the mechanics at the shop this thread and see what they say. I did purchase the bike brand new and it did run perfectly (in my eyes) prior to service. I'll be providing updates once it is sorted out for anyone else who has this issue.

Cheers and thanks for the help guys and gals.

Chris

Just got off the phone with the shop. They believe it's the TPS. I'll keep people posted.

Cheers,
Chris

Based on my conversation, it seems that this will be a quick fix and was potentially something that was accidentally missed. Pleased to say that they will take my bike in and fix it on the spot, which in my experience within the GTA is something that is not often offered! I will however ask them to give me a step by step tutorial with this stuff so I can learn first hand about things like this. Fingers crossed that it is indeed a quick fix!

Cheers all,

Chris

It would be nice if these shops sell the bikes or want to service them they would be educated in the maintenance.
If it's Corsa (which it looks to be from Chris' avatar), then it's a good shop with competent mechanics and great leadership. Very customer service oriented as well.

It is indeed Corsa and the people there are great. I feel confident that it will get sorted out Saturday after having talked to George.

Cheers,

Chris

Can't believe how simple to the solution was. The throttle didn't have enough play. With that adjusted, it seems to run normally again. I'll take it out for a spin this week to ensure everything is running normally. Knock on wood.

If there was not enough play you would have just had a high idle. Sounds more like they originally reset the TPS with not enough play and therefore a simulated over rich mixture. Do you know if they reset the TPS again when the play was re-adjusted??.

Everything was reset and new map updated on Saturday. George popped by my place today and made the adjustments to the throttle. I took the bike up the garage ramp where the problem reveals itself and nothing. I'm hoping that's the end of that! *Knock on wood*

I'll confirm next week when I ride to work.

You are correct. It may have to be reset again. I'll need to confirm whether that's required this week when I ride again. So far, everything seemed to be fine. Hoping it stays that way.

I've got a 2013 and my TPS burned up and had to be replaced.

I sometimes feel a little surge when I'm slowing down for a turn. It comes and goes sort of thing. Have not felt it the last couple months. My bike sometimes will do something strange and it fixes itself. It's got a built in mechanic in a can thing going on.

Back