• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Throttle Position Sensor reset w/GTM Flash Tool

Maynard Hershon

Just got it firing!
I've just reset the throttle position sensor on my single throttle body V7 with the GTM Flash Tool. I've done it three or four times now. It's easy; Takes me ten minutes. If I didn't have the GTM Tool, my bike wouldn't run nearly as well as it does - and I'd have had to pay my local dealer, and I'm lucky to have one, to do that reset job each time. Multiply their minimum service charge times three or four, and I've nearly paid for the tool.
Thanks, Todd!

I'm gonna say, every so often. Maybe every couple of months. It's so easy that there's no reason not to do it. Seat off, right side battery cover off, cap off the input block clipped to the back of the airbox. I put Flash Tool on the tool tray, clip the appropriate plug to the input block (I don't know the proper name for that thing), clip the red and black alligator clips to the battery poles. The Flash Tool will light up and I just follow the prompts from there. Really doesn't take much longer to do than to describe. The only tool necessary is an allen wrench to remove the right side battery cover. Afterward, I put Vaseline on the rubber grommets on the frame where the battery cover plugs fit - and on the battery posts.

I've just reset the throttle position sensor on my single throttle body V7 with the GTM Flash Tool. I've done it three or four times now. It's easy; Takes me ten minutes. If I didn't have the GTM Tool, my bike wouldn't run nearly as well as it does - and I'd have had to pay my local dealer, and I'm lucky to have one, to do that reset job each time. Multiply their minimum service charge times three or four, and I've nearly paid for the tool.
Thanks, Todd!
Welcome, thank you for posting.

I'm gonna say, every so often. Maybe every couple of months. It's so easy that there's no reason not to do it. Seat off, right side battery cover off, cap off the input block clipped to the back of the airbox. I put Flash Tool on the tool tray, clip the appropriate plug to the input block (I don't know the proper name for that thing), clip the red and black alligator clips to the battery poles. The Flash Tool will light up and I just follow the prompts from there. Really doesn't take much longer to do than to describe. The only tool necessary is an allen wrench to remove the right side battery cover. Afterward, I put Vaseline on the rubber grommets on the frame where the battery cover plugs fit - and on the battery posts.

Guess I'll fire mine up and get it done.

If you're confused about how to go about resetting your throttle position sensor: Set up your Flash Tool. Click on Diagnostics, then click on My Bike, then Throttle Position. The Flash Tool will prompt you to turn on the key at the proper time and shut it off at the proper time. It all happens silently and the Tool tells you when it is done. Just takes a few minutes. Staffers, if I've omitted anything, please edit this post! Thanks!

Thanks, Todd!

I'm happy for you!

However, I just discovered that my GTM Flash Tool will not reset the TPS on my 2010 V7 Cafe with a 15RC ECU. So, if anyone can provide step-by-step instructions on how to reset my TPS manually, please advise.

Jason

I'm happy for you!

However, I just discovered that my GTM Flash Tool will not reset the TPS on my 2010 V7 Cafe with a 15RC ECU. So, if anyone can provide step-by-step instructions on how to reset my TPS manually, please advise.

Jason

There isn't a way to manually set the TPS, you must use software see https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/discontinued-alaris-centurion-vdsts-info-instructions.1676/, so find someone that has this software (probably need to be Pro version) or it is take it to a dealer.

Last edited:
I'm curious to know why the TPS on a single throttle body needs resetting regularly.

Me, too!

I understand resetting the TPS is required after balancing the throttle bodies on a two-throttle body system. And perhaps it makes sense that resetting the TPS is required on a single throttle body if the fueling and throttle plate position has changed to achieve the desired idle. But once the fueling and idle are setup on a single throttle body and the TPS has been reset I would think that the TPS would not need to be reset again until something changes.

Jason

Last edited:
Simple fact that the TPS readings move on the single TB V7s. My guess is simple resistance based on humidity, etc, but I'm not an electrical engineer. Additional fact is that they run better when reset occasionally, or as a minimum at every service. I recommend once/month.

Simple fact that the TPS readings move on the single TB V7s. My guess is simple resistance based on humidity, etc, but I'm not an electrical engineer. Additional fact is that they run better when reset occasionally, or as a minimum at every service. I recommend once/month.

I'm not trying to build an argument against resetting the TPS; I'm just trying to learn more about it. I would certainly reset the TPS on my V7 Cafe if I could. In fact that was one of my primary goals when I bought the GTM Flash tool.

I can probably figure out a "clean" way to measure the voltage on each potentiometer and if the readings are different, I could rotate one of the potentiometers so that the output voltages are equal. But if the voltage readings are different between the two, is one correct and, if so, which one? Disclaimer: this is merely wild speculation at this point.

Jason

After mentioning my right side running rich, I'm now being prompted by the Forum to reset mine. Mine too is a 2010 and the further I look into this, the more confusing it gets.
The bright side it the bike runs so damn well as-is, I can keep riding until I figure this out. 😎

Last edited:
It still amazes me that there are those here who throw around “TPS” without realizing what it truly means.

The throttle position sensor, provides for alignment of the physical conditions of the throttle, with the ECU Fuel Injection map. It aligns the logical with the physical.

Mechanical systems, like the throttle body, change over time and repetitive heating and cooling cycles. Additionally, the TPS sensor itself is subjected to the same deviations from the same conditions.

Because the measurement of a TPS sensor, is conducted in mVolts, very small changes physically, result in large changes logically. The fuel injection table alignment can be moved significantly.

When you perform a TPS reset, you are realigning the starting throttle position and starting TPS reading, as the “ground state” condition of the system. That way, the ECU is giving the correct pulse width signal to the injector, throughout the entire throttle range.

This is how it really works and why you cannot jury rig it, fake it, manipulate the sensor position or any of this other nonsense people seem to delude themselves with here.

These modern Moto Guzzi ECU’s are not like the old V-10 Centauro or earlier motorcycles. They are not set with a voltmeter.

Everything is software controlled.

Without a proper tool, like Todd developed and sells, you cannot perform this VITAL SERVICING FUNCTION and your motorcycle will eventually run poorer and poorer as the system goes further out of alignment.

If you own a Moto Guzzi motorcycle, and you intend to do your own servicing, YOU MUST have a TPS reset tool to complete the job correctly. Period.

This is how it REALLY works.

Hope springs eternal! 🤞 :D

I wrote this a long time ago for the Stelvio, but it does explain a great deal and if you really want to understand, I recommend giving it a read. It's informative.

I knew that I'd read this somewhere and only took me 10 minutes of searching to find it👍

Does this recomendation for a regular reset of the TPS apply to the V9 too

Cheers

Tris

Back