Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - we've been proud to harbor such wonderful Guzzisti camaraderie since 2005, for FREE. Times have changed, and so have the attitudes and expectations of far too many. Starting Jan 1, 2020, we will likely be shifting to a pay to participate format. You will still be able to read for free. This should alleviate all of the opinionated negativity that the free social media channels have created. If you are a donor or customer of ours, you're in, just use the Contact tab above if your account is not already promoted, or you can Upgrade your account once signed in. Or the Donate tab above is another option. We look forward to continuing this service to the Guzzi community, but it is not cheap or easy to host and maintain. We wish you the best for the Holidays and in the New Year.

Timing Chain & Tensioner Replacement

Discussion in 'BNS12 Chat & Tech' started by WindwardWarrior, Aug 11, 2018.

1. WindwardWarrior

WindwardWarrior Tuned and Synch'ed GT Famiglia

Good day everyone! It has been some time since I posted a question. Thanks in advance for your insights. I am going to replace the Timing Chain and Tensioner on my 08 Norge. The chain won't be too much of an issue, but the replacement tensioner (Valtek) needs to be installed into the pin location where the original tensioner pin is located. How do I remove the original pin? It appears to be pressed in, but I am unsure of how to remove it? I'm planning on measuring its height and pulling/tapping it out with a pair of vise grips?
    Thanks again.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  2. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

Why are you using one of those valtech ones? Had the spring break on mine, fortunately the bits of spring didn't get caught up in the chain. Nothing wrong with the late Guzzi one.

3. WindwardWarrior

Hi Brian. Thanks for the response and for the insights into the Valtech tensioner experience. I chose it for a few reasons, but my plan is to replace the oil pump this winter so I will get a chance to check the wear etc then.

Thanks and have a great Sunday!

4. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

Have you got a problem with the oil pump? If you think there is a problem, don't wait til winter, ask Bill Hagon why. An 08 model should not be affected by the oil pump problem. My 06 build one was.

5. WindwardWarrior

Hi Brian! Thanks for sending me the note. I am contemplating changing it, although it hasn't given me any problems to date?

I took the bike for a 50 KM ride this afternoon after finishing the installation of the timing chain and tensioner.

I must say that the bike hasn't been as responsive for awhile. The excessive popping on deceleration is gone as is the sluggish acceleration in higher gears. I can't say I miss the lumpy idle, although it was somewhat cool to listen to. I am very happy with the outcome of the project.

Seeing as the bike was so apart, I replaced all the plugs, put in a new Alternator Belt and cleaned the air box. After this I am looking forward to riding a little more next weekend.

Cheers.

john zibell likes this.