• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

tiniest of oil leaks.

Danilo_Gurovich

Tuned and Synch'ed
Rode about 100 miles on Saturday and about 20 today. After my ride on Saturday, I saw just the slightest oiliness on my left boot, about 20 small drips. I looked at the side of my V7Classic (900 miles) and saw oil spots on the starter/solenoid and other spots on the rear of the left side of the bike. It looks like it's coming from the back/top/left of the motor.

Anyone else experience this kind of leak? I'm thinking it's a vent hose that's come loose. My dealer says that the vent hoses on new small blocks are prone to splitting early in their lives as well. I'm just curious as to if this is a pattern or a one-off, and what others did to address this.

I'm going to pull the LH side cover tonight and inspect the vent hoses to start with.

Danilo

Could be one of several things. The vent hose is one (also check the ones coming from the air box), valve cover gasket is another, also the dipstick. Less likely, would be a base or head gasket.

I'm sure that the dipstick is tight, that was the first thing I checked as I've had "oily foot syndrome" on my Eldorado before. This leak is teensy-tiny. The valve covers and cylinders are clean -- it's coming from up inside -- I'm suspecting the vent hose at this point.

Danilo

This is COMPLETELY off subject, but ever since I saw that picture of you with your V7C I could not help but thinking you are the spitting younger image of Drag racing legend
CHRIS "the Golden Greek" KARAMESINES, who still shows up at National NHRA events a runs a top fuel dragster at over 70 years young, I have followed him since the sixties.

http://www.dragracingonline.com/features/kara_1.html

http://www.cacklefest.com/Greek-204.shtml

Well maybe I am all wet, but I sure see the resemblance.

Just saying

OUCH. I'm 48. Damn, I need some "work" done.

I think my problems were a loose rocker cover. Found some oil around the bottom of one, and that would definitely explain the drips I was getting. Reinforcement came through a loose Exhaust nut. My allen wrenches should fix this -- I tightened everything up with a warm engine. I'll clean everything off in the morning and ride it -- we'll see if we're good to go.

The problem happened on our B750. Turned out to be the vent hose had detached from the back of the rocker cover. The oil dribbles around and blows over the side of the bike.

On my first USA trip, I had the same thing, even wrote about it here, but that was on the old site/forum.
My Breva 750 had 10 miles on the clock when it was delivered to the airport for flying over, never dripped, until the first service.
Initially I thought it was from the mechanic dripping oil, so I just wiped it off and carried on touring, anyway, at the next fill up, the drips were back, so I pulled the dip stick, and sure enough, the mechanic must have benn looking at 1100 specs, or mebe didnt use any specs, but he had put far too much oil in the sump.
I got a 20 ml syringe from a pharmacy and got the levels right, however the seep continues to this day.
I did ask a dealer in Flagstaff, and he recconed the overfil had bust a gasket, but he didnt have time to fix it during my tour, so I just live with it.
Not that it leaks drasticaly, just enough to be Irritating.
Take Care Out There

From somewhere at the back of the left side cylinder,it then seeps down the lowest cooling fin and finally drips either on the starter motor or my foot, but as said, it is slight enough to be irritating,but not enough to start pulling off the left cylinder.
Had the Guzzi agents in both Flagstaff Arizona and Steubenville Ohio look at it, and both gave the same explanation.
Take Care Out There

Mine's doing EXACTLY the same thing. Rode to work and it still leaked after tightening. I opened up the side cover and it was bone dry -- Checked the top hose, and it was bone dry. Bottom of the fins towards the back of the motor --wet. Boot, drips. Starter-solenoid, drips.

I called my dealer -- he ordered new gaskets and will install them and find the leak and fix it Saturday. Rose Farm is no BS and will make sure the job's done right.

I've had the valve covers off three times. Every time I mangled the gasket(s) and needed a new one. They are really brittle but they are also cheap.
I have had the breather hoses pop off of the air box and drip and also had them become loose on the air box and drip. The oil return hose, running from the bottom left side of the airbox to the sump, was involved.

I hope you get it sorted out.

NOLAGuzzi wrote:
I've had the valve covers off three times. Every time I mangled the gasket(s) and needed a new one. They are really brittle but they are also cheap.
I have had the breather hoses pop off of the air box and drip and also had them become loose on the air box and drip. The oil return hose, running from the bottom left side of the airbox to the sump, was involved.

I hope you get it sorted out.

For adjusting/checking the valves - which doesn't seems to be needed any more - I've pulled the covers twice a year since 2004, and never trashed a gasket. Still got the proper and by gently Mandello hands placed gasket in there, and four dusty ones on the shelf. :dry:
Oil the cover and head surfaces lightly before assembling. That'll save you a dollar or two.

Danilo; hope this will be sorted out. Mineral oil isn't good for leather boots. :silly:

I had a small drip appearing at the rear left of the sump soon after acquiring my (leftover) 2007 Breva 750. It was corrected at first service. It seem s a fitting was leaking at the back of the engine and following the pathe of least resistance.

-Jesse

Put a layer of grease on the gaskets. Keeps them from tearing when removing the rocker covers, and then they can be re-used with out a problem.

Joe

I am surprised that the dealer didn't see the kink in the gasket when he put the cover back on after your 600 mile service :unsure:

The way that the rocker cover goes on, anyone could kink the gasket. I have the best dealer in the US and definitely the best two-wheeled mechanic that I've ever seen. He got me in for my service quickly, fixed me up with transportation and, as usual, went above and beyond the call of duty for any service.

This could happen to anyone; I just posted this to find out if any small block owners knew "where to look" so I could just make a small fix myself and not make a big deal about it. The gaskets are really crappy.

Back