• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Tips on what to look for on an 07 Griso...

youngzrxer

Just got it firing!
Found an 07 I put a deposit on...Less than 2800 miles....Staintune exhaust...Everything looks good (as one would assume)...But I am paranoid and after getting burned on my last bike I want to ask what I should look for..Any recalls I should ask about? One thing I did notice was some slight pitting on the headlight bucket and other chrome parts...Nothing bad at all..but somewhat surprising for such low miles..Normal or sign its been outside a lot? Thanks in advance!

The cheesy chromed plastic is just that cheesy. If you live somwhere where there are hostile conditions like road salt I'd expect it would take a hammering.

By 2007 the CARC bearing problem should not be an issue and that was the only recall I can think of off the top of my head.

IMHO the Staintune isn't the best pipe for a Griso.

Other than that just about the only other thing I can suggest is when you get it take the rear suspension linkage apart and grease all the bearings thoroughly. It's quite exposed and if it has been out in the sort of conditions that might cause the plastic chrome to play up it is almost certainly worth a re-grease.

As soon as you get it take it to someone with an Axone or Navigator and get them to upload the 003 map and check the TPS. If it came from a less than wonderful dealer you'll probably find the TPS has never been re-set and will be at 3.2 degrees or thereabouts rather than the 4.6 it should be. It's five presses of a button to re-set it and its worth having right.

Pete

Pitting chrome? My '07 does not have that issue but I am not surprised. My wifes V11 has some rust issues on a few parts. The bike probably spent more time outdoors then not.
Issues and recalls? Yeah, there were a couple. The fuel line issue almost certainly has been corrected already. There were some bikes that suffered from a noisy drive train. There was a recall on it but I don't think they applied that recall to US bikes. But I am going by what my local dealer said, I could be wrong. Also, some bikes ping. Mine did, now it has a PCV & AutoTune. Hopefully the pinging is gone. If you can, test ride the bike being sure to get it good and hot, then ride it up a long hill and see if you can make it ping. Not sure why some do and some don't.
There is an issue with the speedo sensor getting wet and quitting. It usually comes back after it drys out, but the is a post here about how to seal it to keep it from going out. Worth doing.
Mine has had its second dash fail. The speedo and trips 1 & 2 work but the Mode position does not. I can't set the time or access the diagnostics. Probably will just replace it with an Acewell speedo if I can.
As long as you understand what you are buying you should be fine. A Guzzi is not like a Honda. It requires more commitment and understanding from its owner. But the reward is much greater then a Honda can give.

Thanks for the tips! I might be overstating the chrome bits...They did seem to be really poor quality...But Im not buying it for the chrome...

Will do the bearings..Thanks! What dont you like about the staintune?

The only thing that really matters is that the fuel line in the tank is properly attached to the fuel pump.... everything else can be addressed at your convenience. Griso's are fairly bullet proof, mine's seen more abuse than most and other than the fuel line coming loose on latigo (15 minute fix with todd and a few others that had crusty old hose clamps in their tool pouches, they are as realiable as bricks) I was unaware of chrome bits, but I dont wash my griso :twisted: I do ride it mercilessly, and shift when the ECU cuts out at redline, seems to run better every day. They are tough, mine's been down the road a few times and throw a few bits on it and back in biz... If it was spine frame it would be scrap. My griso along with my Cal SS are crash tested tough. There are many things to make a griso run better, all of them are listed on this forum, but the fuel line coming loose is the only show stopper on the sucker. They issued new fuel pumps for the early griso's, mine is still in the box, I chose $1 hose clamps, if the fuel pump has been addressed, ride it and see what bugs you. Also, Check the forum for suspension setups, they come from the factory with the settings way off, baseline settings are posted several places and are a good starting point. Again, I have abused my Griso more than any of my other guzzi's and it runs like new, but cosmetically, it has a bit more character now... I know the fuel line problem should be corrected on your unit, but it does not take long to check it out, much easier in the garage than on the side of the road. I dont think my bike pings, others do when they ride it, I dont care, its a blast and I would have no issues riding it cross country tomorrow. But as with all guzzi's, when you get it home, check the tappets, check the tps and tighten all the loose stuff the factory forgot to torque, then you're good to go. When you find something you dont like, post here and several options will quickly be provided. Just some advice, the small flyscreen provides excellent protection of the high dollar speedo/tach pod, flipped mine and the small screen took the hit.... a good investment if you ever anticpate your griso being upside down ;) As for pipes, I have had good luck with my mistral cf pipe, but Andrews left side guzzitech/price sloan pipe sounds better and seems to run sweet and is not as loud as my mistral (no db killer)

Thanks for the tips! Love hearing stories like that :mrgreen: As my screenname says, I am fairly ( I think very among this group) young so this is a pretty large "investment" so to speak...And I say investment, as one of these has been what Ive wanted for 3 years now and I kept buying/selling and losing money on everything under the sun trying to make me happy without bucking up and spending the money....So now ideally that will stop...Anyway, I am rambling now

I have searched..Is that a guzzi option or aftermarket fairing? Thanks! :D

The guzzi flycreen is a guzzi option, you can order it from MI or MPH and get good service. Andrew who tinkers endlessly with his griso, guess its his engineering interests is quite young for a guzzi guy, but has learned alot. You will find that age doesn't matter much with guzzi folks, riding does... sort out the few quirks and have a 100K bike. I have 155K on my 72 eldo, runs as good as new...

my griso 11 just gets better the more miles i put on it (23700 miles),so get out there and enjoy it.In the winter i cover all the so called chrome parts in engine oil and mine looks like new come better weather.Like others have said grease and protect rear shock.Hugger helps but i have a sleeve of plastic around it also.Your gonna love it

I have an 07 Griso and my impression is that the chrome pieces and the stainless exhaust headers are low quality. The exhaust will get liver spots on it and all my chrome is pitted. That being said, I don't take care of the thing cosmetically AT ALL. Never been washed once and sits outside under a cover year round. Despite that, people stop and stare at it all the time and ask me about the bike so be prepared for a lot of attention :D

Something I've heard a few people mention is to look for is a loose nut on the sidestand. Hasn't happened to me but after a few people reported the same problem I check it frequently.

Also when you get it home, take almost all the slack out of the throttle cable. It should be as tight as you can get it without increasing the idle when you turn the handlebars all the way to the left. You'll find this makes the bike a lot smoother in stop and go traffic. The throttle closes too abruptly if the cable is loose.

I bought mine new and rode out of the dealers door with a Stsintune fitted and as soon as i got home i removed the restrictor from the outlet. The throttle response was very jerky and offputing at slow speed. At the time my dealer didn't have an Axone so i took it to one that did and explained to them what was happening. After an hour the mechanic called me in to the workshop and told me to take it for a test. It was much improved, and when i asked him what he did he showed me that he had put the restrictor back in.

Now that i have the PCV and Autotune i am tempted to try the Staintune out again and see what , if any, difference it has made.

DD, have you done the 'Take the slack out of the throttle cables' thing, ballanced the TB's and re-set the TPS after uploading the 003 map. It'll probably run a lot better if you have but it may also pop on the overrun with the db killer out.

Pete

Running the ECU reflash, PCV, Auto Tune with the Staintune (DB killer out) on my G11 and not getting any
popping on over run.
Checking the TPS and balance the throttle bodies vacumn when its starts to ping under hard
accelleration up hill is the only thing I do now..
Still don't like the Staintune so Pipemasters for a custom pipe is the next mod.

I'm looking for detailer to clean the bike for me as I spend my leisure time riding it too. :lol:

I'm about to dismantle the rear suspension linkage on my 06 Griso to grease up the bearings. Is there anything particular I should look out for? I have a paddock stand so the shock will be unloaded but I don't know if it's assembled under any tension and I don't want bits flying all over the garage.
Also I have heard that some people have fitted grease nipples and I'd like to do likewise but I'm not sure of the best places to fit them. Anyone any experience of doing this?
Ian (London UK)

Just make sure that there is no weight on the rear wheel and start unbolting stuff. Do be aware that the needles in the bearings are NOT caged so they will tend to fall out so it's a good idea to get the 'Dog Bone' onto a bench with a clean piece of paper on it before removing the inner races ONE AT A TIME. That way if the needles all come tumbing out you can keep each set for each bearing together, clean'em, re-pack 'em and re insert 'em.

You'll find they are as dry as a witches tit so don't be miserly with the grease but wipe off the excess after you've reassembled.

Pete

Back