Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Tires for Small Blocks

Discussion in 'Racing' started by sign216, Feb 27, 2010.

1. sign216

sign216 High Miler

On another web group we were discussing that radials weren't available for Guzzi small blocks. Everyone was running bias ply tires. I post the issue here, as you racers would know the answer for sure.

Are bias ply tires are the only option for Brevas, V7Cs, etc?

Joe

2. Fader

Fader Tuned and Synch'ed

It's not really a matter of "Guzzi Smallblocks", It's a matter of what kind of wheel it is. Breva 750 comes with a mag wheel, that radials will fit. (example, my V65 race bike has a Breva front end with the stock Breva wheel, and I run Bridgestone BT003 race tire) At the same time, that same wheel we commonly fit Avon AM26 tires which are bias-ply. Generally modern mags are designed for radial tires, where spoke wheels' tire edge is designed for bias-ply, that can also hold a tube. Where radials are tubeless. I won't get into the science of it all, in fact simple Google searches will answer "what tire fits what type of rim" questions. Another example, older mag wheels, like the stock V65, will only use a bias ply. So, Breva 750 with mags will take either, and the models with spoke wheels take bias-ply. BUT, remember that you're dealing with 400 plus pound bikes, that have 40 rear wheel horsepower. So, any modern bias-ply tire will easily handle it.

3. sign216

sign216 High Miler

Fader, the question came up because although the manual calls for radials, the bikes (at least mine) come from the factory with bias ply. When I checked the major manufacturers they only offered bias ply for sizes the small blocks use. I never checked for racing tires. Looking at racing tires, I see they are radials, although size selection can be sparse.

Most authorities say to use the tire construction the bike was designed for. Oddly, my V7C manual calls for radials, but also lists bias ply Metzeler Lasertec tires as the standard equipment. A discrepancy that's hard to resolve.

Perhaps it's an Italian thing.