• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

To Stelvio or not to Stelvio

AussieGuzzi

Just got it firing!
Hi,

I've been considering getting myself a Stelvio (just love the look of this bike), for sometime now, but other than having sat on one last year at a dealership, I know nothing about them.

I was hoping to catch up with one at the Sydney Motorcycle Show, but sadly :( Guzzi had no presence there.
If they had been I wouldn't have bought the bike I did instead........

Anyway, what I would like, is to hear from some Stelvio owners, their thoughts on the bike (honest appraisals) with regards to a new owner buying one (ME!) especially in regards to fitting one out for long distance touring (luggage, techmounts, accessories etc) which during my searches, (mainly internet) I've found there aren't many items available for them, which is why I haven't purchased one yet.

I've found most of the major luggage providers don't tend to cater to the Stelvio to any extent.

But now Guzzi is/has released the NTX? with Trax luggage, SW Motech frames, although no top box by trax (why?) and only the 37ltr paniers, not the 45ltr ones as an option (again why?)

Thanks in advance for your comments
Cheers
Paul

Well, he rode my Griso this arvo. Seemed to be fairlyhappy. Doesn't surprise me as he's coming off a Hungarian Root Vegetable Salesmans bike :D .

What did surprise me was that he reckoned the gearchange on the big G was better than the aforementioned HRVS bike!!!! Bonus!!! :cool:

Pete

Hello, Paul. I have not had my Stelvio for long. I purchased it in November 2009 and rode it for about three weeks until snow flew here, then got it back out again when the weather started to improve a month ago. I now have around 1600 km. on it, and so far I love the beast. It has plenty of power. It is smooth and comfortable, and handles extremely well. I also like the fit and finish. No major issues so far. I did experience the paint bubbling and peeling around the fuel filler opening, as have a number of other forum members, and a replacement part has been ordered, under warranty.

Cheers,

Bruce

Paul
Hi,I am in Sydney with a Stelvio,I have had it 3 months now and just love it.It is so much fun to ride.Overall it is fast enough for me,smooth,comfy,long travel suspension and big enough to strech out so my battered body dosen't' get cramped.
Pete Roper just did the first service (and the predelivery) on it is running very well.

Luggage,apart from the 2 types of factory bags you also buy Hepco Becker(here in OZ) in 30 and 40 Litre bags with added advantage that the pannier frames have a quick release fittings so you can remove them from the bike when not being used and they are bit cheaper too.

I see in the latest AMCN that if you buy a 2009 model from some dealers now they will throw in a pair of Trax panniers which is good deal.Also Hills Motorcycles have good deal on the S at the moment -$21,750 ride away which is good deal -see Motorcycle Torque mag . But the trax panniers on the bike make it very wide indeed with the bigger ones you would need a "Caution wide load' sign on the back plus have trouble getting leg over the top of them,it bad enough with the smaller versions.

Faults- the tank is too small which I knew,it can be thirsty at times,mine has noisy gear box in third when it is hot ,but I think it may be just my particular bike, not a general rule.The factory crash bars I bought did not fit but JSG will fix this with a new pair,the factory hand guards won't fit Australian models thanks to ADR and the blinker in the back of the mirror and its wiring.But Aust made Barkbusters ones will fit.

Thats about it really,I can't complain about it much really,it goes,it stops, it handles,its a Guzzi,I'm happy.
Get a Guzzi, you'll be happy
Brett

Thanks one and all for your comments,

Yes Pete I did enjoy my ride on your Griso, just didn't like the demented monkey riding position like you already know :whistle:
Yeah I did find the gear change lighter than my HRVS as you called it :angry: though I like my HRVS, its a good simple practical bike :woohoo:
My shout next time we catch up, thanks for the drink even though it was on a 0 tolerance day for me lol :silly:
Also thanks very much for trusting me with your personal ride, I'm very grateful to you for it.......

Thanks Bruce, your luckier than us here in OZ with the availability of gear and all. I can accept little faults, everything, no matter what make it is has one or more, and as Pete explained to me, submitting warranty claims for faults is half the battle in getting them eliminated. I actually bought my DL1000 in late november too, though now it has over 13000k's on the clock(I'm on it everyday :D ) but it wasn't my first choice (the Stelvio was), and it has its own resume of faults, factory induced in one particular case :eek:hmy: with an overly optimistic speedo......

Thanks Brett,
"I have had it 3 months now and just love it.It is so much fun to ride.Overall it is fast enough for me,smooth,comfy,long travel suspension and big enough to strech out so my battered body dosen't' get cramped.
Pete Roper just did the first service (and the predelivery) on it is running very well."

This is what I was looking for, thanks for this. I've been down to speak to Pete, and have made up my mind should I get one, that I'll just pick it up rego'd but without PD and get him to do it, no doubt at all in that one.
Personally I think all large dual purpose bikes have fuel tanks way too small (except the BMW GSA of course), especially here for us in OZ, and I'm prepared to accept it, since I'll be carrying spare fuel anyway.
I would probably not get the NTX knowing this now about Hepco bags being able to be fitted, I'll get the standard one, and kit it out myself (cheaper as you say)
Luggage width doesn't bother me, its carrying capacity that does, since I'm wanting to set the bike up for being away weeks at a time. I'll be taking everything, food, fuel, water, camping gear, cooking gear etc.
I would have been changing out the stock hand guards for Barkbuster Stormguards anyway.
From what I've been reading, engine guards etc are a must have, not that I wouldn't fit them anyway (gotta make the polar bear feel safe while he's being transported don't I Pete!!! :p )
Most other items I'll be wanting to fit will come off my DL1000 (HRVS :angry: thanks Pete!) in the way of techmounts, intercom system, satnav, mp3, phone etc etc etc

Cheers one and all and thank you
Paul

Hey Paul, enjoy mate! I seem to have a big grin on my face every time I ride my Stelvio. These Guzzis have a way of getting under your skin, I think. I looked at the DL1000 as a possibility, and had the chance to do an extensive test ride on one. I thought it was a great bike. The only thing I didn't like was the chain drive. It also seemed to lack a bit of character compared to the Stelvio. Not knocking it though. It is a very cool, well put together motorcycle.
Cheers,
Bruce

Aussie:(Paul) I have had a no. of things up with mine in the past 5500 km. which you will find reference to on this forum in various places. I still really like this big black funny looking motorcycle. It has good brakes, handles very well for a tall heavy bike, has never scared me on dirt/gravel roads.( I always found most street bikes did) It looks and sounds like nothing else. It's a Guzzi ,which to me makes it something special. I think the cliche " Italian bikes are like Italian women... sometimes they stab you for no reason" just happens to fit in my case. Awesome bike, I guess Guzzis are a weakness. 'Cause if I had the money I'd probably by a Griso too! Oh I believe Trax make a topbox you can fit, Guzzi doesn't sell it as far as I know.( All Guzzi accessories I have installed have bolted right on, no problems and well made if pricey.)
FBC

BravoBravo said:
Hey Paul, enjoy mate! I seem to have a big grin on my face every time I ride my Stelvio. These Guzzis have a way of getting under your skin, I think. I looked at the DL1000 as a possibility, and had the chance to do an extensive test ride on one. I thought it was a great bike. The only thing I didn't like was the chain drive. It also seemed to lack a bit of character compared to the Stelvio. Not knocking it though. It is a very cool, well put together motorcycle.
Cheers,
Bruce

Hi Bruce,
I do love my DL1000 (HRVS huh Pete :angry: ) its a great bike, but it lacks that character of the Stel :whistle:
One thing the Japanese will never do is outdo the Italians on, styling!!!
Its the first big chain drive bike I've ever owned, and one thing that was iffy about getting it, though since I've had it I've found adjusting and maintaining the chain simply if not messy!, but its still not a shaft drive which I've always loved ever since I bought my first one: Kawa Z1000ST 80 model
I fell in love with Guzzi ever since I road my first one, a 850LeMans, beautiful bike, horrible seat though!, was like sitting on a piece of 2x4 covered in plastic! :woohoo:
If I can kit out a Stel like I've done with my DL then I'm sure I'll be very happy with it!

Cheers
Paul

FrostBittenCanadian said:
Aussie:(Paul) I have had a no. of things up with mine in the past 5500 km. which you will find reference to on this forum in various places. I still really like this big black funny looking motorcycle. It has good brakes, handles very well for a tall heavy bike, has never scared me on dirt/gravel roads.( I always found most street bikes did) It looks and sounds like nothing else. It's a Guzzi ,which to me makes it something special. I think the cliche " Italian bikes are like Italian women... sometimes they stab you for no reason" just happens to fit in my case. Awesome bike, I guess Guzzis are a weakness. 'Cause if I had the money I'd probably by a Griso too! Oh I believe Trax make a topbox you can fit, Guzzi doesn't sell it as far as I know.( All Guzzi accessories I have installed have bolted right on, no problems and well made if pricey.)
FBC

Hi FBC,
I've been reading some of the issues on the forum with the Stel, though yes I guess it is a little concerning considering some of what I've read, it hasn't dampened my enthusiasm for getting one, as I've heard some horror stories concerning other makes, including the one I own, and the "supposed king of ADV bikes" BMW GS/A's (major electrical issues).
Every road test report I've read has almost always praised the bike and its handling, one Aussie mag even going so far to say at least its a "proper motorcycle", but all saying about the poor fuel tank range, bad choice of rear wheel size(not sure what they mean by this one), and of course the usual jibes at Italian fit and finish.
There is just something about the styling of this bike in particular which draws me to it, fell in love with it the moment I saw my first photo.......... :laugh:
So long as I can kit it out for my trips (weeks not days) I'll be happy
I think as riders of man made beasts, no matter what the make, we all put up with their shortcomings because we like them so much.

Cheers
Paul

Paul. while the price difference will be a factor the GT with *real* wheel has just arrived in Oz. It just so happens that the importer's tech-boy is running the press demonstrator in this weekend and plan to drop into Bunged End on Sunday so i can have an ogle and poke. If you're not working, ping me 0417 462 440 and if its a happening thing you could ride over and perhaps get the first 'Test Ride' in Oz, (After me and the boy of course!!!! :twisted: ).

If Mum dies this weekend? All bets are off obviously, but as long as she is still breathing we'll be having a good look at it this weekend, you're welcome to join us. No doubt thoufgh you could pick up an '09 model for less though if you wish, it'll just have the 'full House' Griso motor rather than the softer tuned GT one.

Pete

Paul: By the way the year of mine is a 2009 and the " Full house Griso motor" that Pete speaks of is a blast! I'm not sure why some have complained about a weak midrange. There is a multiple GS owner on ADV rider who had the opportunity to spend a couple of weeks on an early Stelvio... he thought it was a blast. Stated that the gearing was better in rough stuff than a GS and thought it was a real hotrod in comparison. For what it's worth.
FBC

FrostBittenCanadian said:
Paul: By the way the year of mine is a 2009 and the " Full house Griso motor" that Pete speaks of is a blast! I'm not sure why some have complained about a weak midrange. There is a multiple GS owner on ADV rider who had the opportunity to spend a couple of weeks on an early Stelvio... he thought it was a blast. Stated that the gearing was better in rough stuff than a GS and thought it was a real hotrod in comparison. For what it's worth.
FBC

FBC,
I actually went to a dealer yesterday, to have a gander at one, though they didn't have an NTX (none in country at time) they had a 09 with the Griso motor.
Have already talked about the kind of deal I want, and the owner of the shop who I was dealing with, is more than happy to meet my arrangements.
I'll be getting the NTX, with the SW Motech frames, but no cases, I want to fit Hepco and Becker ones, rego'd but with no PD as I'll get Pete to do that part. More than happy to come to a deal on pricing, and I'll be picking it up unridden with a trailer to bring it home, before taking it to Pete.
The only thing he insisted on was that they assemble the bike, he won't sell it crated to me, not that I'm bothered by that so long as its left unstarted/unridden.
Funny enough he mentioned the GS when I talked about them, shaking his head saying they had nothing but trouble with the computers on them, along with other electrical gremlims. I've even seen them with cracked side frames...... :sick:
Now all I need to do is get the house refinanced lol :whistle:

Paul

Hello I have just picked up my new Stelvio NTX 1200 and love it to death. Best engine that I have ever had in a Guzzi. Have had a lot of Guzzis over the years. Took the bike to the 30th birthday of the GS BMW. Handled all the dirt roads beautifully. Fuel tank is to small but will look at carring more fuel. Will look at making something to fit in to the right hand side of the bike behind the panner frame. It is getting a nice new staintune pipe made as I type.

Mark.

I'd recommend a 2010 Stelvio without reservation, especially the NTX. The earlier models can be bought for less money (I got a 2009 for about 30% off retail), but they have issues you may (or may not) need to address. But I've heard the 2010's are awesome. Check out my post "I love my stelvio BECAUSE" on the forum.

deanm said:
Hello I have just picked up my new Stelvio NTX 1200 and love it to death. Best engine that I have ever had in a Guzzi. Have had a lot of Guzzis over the years. Took the bike to the 30th birthday of the GS BMW. Handled all the dirt roads beautifully. Fuel tank is to small but will look at carring more fuel. Will look at making something to fit in to the right hand side of the bike behind the panner frame. It is getting a nice new staintune pipe made as I type.
Mark, congrats on the NTX(!), and welcome to the Forum. Be sure to add your Stelvio to the Registry (tab above). If you have any problems, contact me direct. Look forward to some picture posts from you... post often, and again, welcome to the Guzzi Famiglia.

Back