• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Torque Spec on 2008 Norge - Hex Screw Bottom of Fork

mpk

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hey Forum,

I noticed that the two small hex screws at the bottom of my fork on the right hand side are loose (likely because my dealer did not tighten them after replacing a tire!?!).

Does anyone have the torque spec on these? And do you recommend locktight? It freaked me out to see that these were loose!

I believe they are:
Part number:
GU98680340
Description:
HEX SOCKET SCREW M6X40

Thanks!

MPK

Attachments

• IMG_2668.JPG
    IMG_2668.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 7
Good morning from up the road.

While not quite up to some of the knee-slapping humor of some instructions that come with Chinesium items I order, the Italian versions can be, if not as hilarious, equally mysterious and misleading.

Aside from the classic "pillion monkey" in the owners' manuals, I first encountered this when reinstalling a fuel pump in my 2007 Norge. Because of odd parts descriptions, it first seemed that the specs called for 25 Nm for tuel pump flange to tank retainer!. Yikes!

Of course, I should not mock, as my own grasp of other languages is sad indeed.

IMO, John Zibell here has the right answer, i.e., refer to torque values in the "Service Station Manuals" (!), but rely on "wrench art" to get it right. I may be caveman-level artist compared to the Michelangelo that John, Todd, and others here may be, but I am getting there.

WRT confusing tech guidance, I think that the term "Fork Hubs Closing" at CHAR-15 in the Front Suspension section for torque values refers to what I think most of us call fork "pinch bolts." If so, the recommended 10Nm sounds about right, tho I think one need not go that far.

As you may already know, the big concern with over-tightening these fasteners is fracturing the $tanchion$ themselves! Haven't, thankfully, BTDT, but others have.

I tighten them enough to reinstall the axle to the front wheel -- which is about the only time I mess with them -- then loosen them, a bit, lower the wheel to the ground, bounce the front forks a bit to settle everything, then retighten to spec (or art).

Best from the top of the Old Dominion,

Bill

Those Allen screws merely pinch the axle in the lower fork. It is a good ideal to remove them and coat with anti seize. I've seen them corroded in place and had to drill them out. With that coating, the torque specification changes and wrench art comes into play. They just need to be snug to pinch the axle. As Pete Roper would say just enough and don't tighten until you fart. That tight and you are asking for trouble.

Back