Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Torque Value for bolt that holds Oil Filter Cover

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by warendt, Mar 28, 2014.

1. warendt

warendt Just got it firing!

I have looked in all the manuals that are available for a 2013 V7S and nowhere can I find any indication of what this bolt is torqued to. This is a fairly easy place to screw up and perhaps break the cover. Anybody have information on this common maintenance item.

2. Kev M

Kev M Cruisin' Guzzisti

I would warn you it might even be EASIER to screw up and break the cover WITH THE SPEC.

At least that's what happened to my little brother, the degreed engineer, who has built entire cars before, but managed to crack the cover on his V7C doing an oil change.

I had to explain that this wasn't a BMW, the torque values are only rough suggestions.

And it's a small enough value that if your low value wrench isn't properly calibrated, well, let's just say "it's a Guzzi, do it by feel".

3. Lofty1956

Lofty1956 Tuned and Synch'ed

I use a Guzzi publication entitled "V750ie Workshop Manual" in conjunction with my 2007 Nevada - it specifies 25 Nm - I doubt that that particular value would be any different for your bike.

Cheers

Lofty

4. Kev M

Kev M Cruisin' Guzzisti

It says the same thing in the V7C manual 18.4 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).

That's what my little bro was attempting to tighten to when he cracked the cover.

Maybe it was a bad wrench, but spooked me enough to ignore the wrench for this application.

5. bdcfe

bdcfe Tuned and Synch'ed

6. sign216

sign216 High Miler

I go by feel, keeping in mind that it's screwing into aluminum.

Of course sometimes my feel isn't right either.