• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Touring down Europe, summer of 09

Holt

High Miler
GT Contributor
Again my son and I planned and toured down Europe; this year the goal was the Split area in Croatia, former Yugoslavia.
I spend just about 10 summers there with my parents in the young years, but really haven't been there since 1967 or -68, with the exception of some short drive-throug Slovenia and northern parts of Croatia during the last couple of years.

The route was in main Trelleborg in Sweden; Berlin - Dresden - Plzen - Linz - Gargagno (at the Lago di Garda, northern Italy) - Trieste - Split - Isle of Hvar - Split - Karlovac - Ptuj (in Slovenia) - a few obscure and impossible to remember places in Hungary - east of Vienna - Brno - Frankfurt ad Oder - Rostock - and home.

I managed to clock just about 5500 km, and all exept an unsane heat day in Italy/Croatia - all of it on minor roads. And also the last 800 km, but more about that later. The tour lasted for 18 days for me.

I've got about 600 pics from the event; do excuse me for not uploading all of them....

Ferry boat to Rostock, Germany - we weren't alone..

P1000012.jpg

-and a frugal breakfast at the first gas staion met

P1000015.jpg

In the evening we hit Dresden for sleeping at my usual cheap place, "Bodega Amigos", owned by a friendly Cuban

P1000023.jpg

-and the best beer in the world

P1000027.jpg

South of Dresden - or the northren parts of Czeckia gives some beautiful wievs

P1000034.jpg

Plzen, the origin of the Pilsener - or Lager, as you folks says.

P1000059.jpg

P1000089.jpg

P1000048-1.jpg

-and of course, a nice hotel

P1000078.jpg

-and the beer fields. The bottles are not ripe yet.

P1000045.jpg

After Czeckia, Austria; mainly a ski-resort, but certainly spectacular in the summer as well

P1000097.jpg

P1000110-1.jpg

P1000105.jpg

Passing a surprising pass, he Staller. Not very high - about 900 meters - but on the Italian side, the road is so narrow, that they will only let you pass for 15 minutes every hour to avoid meeting traffic.

P1000114-1.jpg

P1000112.jpg

At the Lago di Garda. Calm and beautiful

DSC00157.jpg

Gargagno:

P1000145.jpg

In these surroundings you'll find the best restaurant ever, only 200 meters up from Gargnano

P1000132-1.jpg

appetizer

P1000138-1.jpg

Prima Piatti

P1000139-1.jpg

Secondo

P1000141-1.jpg

Dolce

P1000142-1.jpg

Next day; after a very long and hot ride, and a lunch-pizza in Trieste

P1000148.jpg

-we reached Senj in Croatia right before sunset

P1000157.jpg

Still hot...

P1000153.jpg

Next morning we left for Split, and drove through the most magnificent thunder storm - no pics; I haven't got a waterproof camera!. Somehow a relief anyway, since temperature went down to 20-22*C.

From Split

P1000183.jpg

we went by ferry boat to the island of Hvar

P1000186.jpg

Not really the best places or security for the bikes, but no mishaps. Cheap ferry fees, OTOH.

P1000198.jpg

And rented two rooms, bath and kitchen in the town of Hvar at Hvar. Hvay not?

P1000201.jpg

It's an absolutely stunning island, though going quite exclusive. Never seen so many, so big cruisers & yachts in a harbour - Including Monaco.

P1000228.jpg

P1000243.jpg

P1000246.jpg

Had a day on the bike. And no ATGATT - much too hot. Drove slowly, wearing sandlas, shorts - and helmet. Flipped up.

P1000271.jpg

All these stones! Picked up by man, put in piles and fences to be able to grow crops. Mostly is abandoned today.

P1000282.jpg

P1000275.jpg

P1000277.jpg

-and taking siestas to escape the heat

P1000288.jpg

After 6 days, it was time to head north again. First day I measured 41*C on the onboard thermometer. Drinking much and often is an necessity, as being in the shadow no matter where, when you don't drive

P1000312.jpg

Slovenia...

P1000331.jpg

P1000332.jpg

-and a night in Ptuj, once again an old Centraleuropean town

P1000351.jpg

P1000367.jpg

The hotel was a renovated 1500-century town house

P1000345.jpg

P1000340.jpg

Of course a good supper again

P1000369.jpg

Next day we went through Hungary, which is flatlands and cornfields all over. Only pic, from the Slovenian/Hungarian border.

P1000374.jpg

-and a refueling stop in Austria. What would you chosse but Sachertorte mit Schlag, 20 km from Vienna?

P1000375.jpg

Next stop Brno in Czeckia, again. Another famous label

P1000377.jpg

-and views

P1000386.jpg

After Brno, at mid day the pure fun actually stopped

P1000397.jpg

P1000395.jpg

P1000392.jpg

An elderly driver got the bright idea to try to go left on the main road. Look at the road markings, and you'll know exactly HOW bright that idea was. All to avoid a 200 meter detour caused by roadworks... Went out 30 meters right before my son, who was tourmaster of the day. Speed about 70 kmh, and not a chance to stop in time. The breaking track is from the front wheel.

I'd guess the crashing speed was about 30 kmh. I saw the crash very well, as I was coming up 30 meters behing my son.

We got tremendous help on the spot, police was there in a very few minutes, ambulance also.

Son showed up not to be seriously injured, a broken wrist and brusings.
By the help of the insurance companies he was sent home by air the day after leaving the hospital - where he only had to spend 24 hours, mostly for observations.

But let's finish this story here; a broken bike left on site. The insurance company will take care of the remains, probably scrap it on site.

P1000431.jpg

After a sleepless night and a couple of days, fixing things like transport home, police, a big trunk to carry equipment etc etc and a very compliant receptionist in the hotel, who suggested me to park my bike at the most secure place ever found

P1000425.jpg

:woohoo:

-it was time for me to leave for home. Leaving the Czeck hotel at 1.30 pm I managaged to reach a small Gasthaus in a village north of Berlin before dark.

P1000469.jpg

-and saw what I really haven't seen since I was a kid;

P1000446.jpg

P1000464.jpg

Wild storks in a traditional nest! There's hope for man!
(Well not that wery wild, but at least not raised in enclosure)

Also a slightly modified Wartburg...

P1000471.jpg

(You can see a genuine DDR build 3-cyl 2-stroke motor in there. Was the luxury car for the average man. The nomenklatura drove Volgas, Zil and maybe a Czeck Tatra)

Next day reaching home via Denmark and the

Soon I hope!

But really what IS that bug eyed thing doing beside a class act like a Breva - honestly, the things some of us do to Guzzis.... :p

P1000114-1.jpg

Edit: Ummm well don't I feel like a pillock - but in my/our defence when I (and Daniel as well it seems) posted the story was incomplete and to be continued, Holt's edit which included the gory details came after I had packed up and gone to work... that's my story and I'm stickin to it Me Lud!

nice, nice, nice. We're waiting...

EDIT: Yikes; after the original post was edited, the above comment makes me look like an unfeeling idiot.

What a shocking end to the tour, I hope you both recover soon.

It's interesting (in a morbid way) to see how much of the crash energy was absorbed by the bike, perhaps reducing the severity of the injuries?

Peter

Ew.

Not a nice ending, Anders. Goes to show once more that one can never be suspicious enough in traffic (esp. when riding in different countries with potentially different takes on road safety), and also that riding training really could be better (esp. concerning emergency breaking and avoidance manoeuvres).
Not a complex fracture of the wrist & scaphoid not damaged, I hope?! Wishing him a speedy recovery, and good trip memories to both of you!

PS: is that melanzane alla parmigiana, the 1st starter? ;)

@Peter: possibly, but studies have shown that even at 25km/h, the rider is likely to make a "nice" flying dive/salto. He was probably fortunate not to have fairing or tall windscreen!

(Mike, maybe you'd want to edit your comment about bug-eyed things now? :S)

I hope he recovers well, it's must have been an awful accident for you too, to see your son crash into a car.
Well I wish you both the best and hope the two of you can go riding together again in the near future.

Ciao Dolf.

Thank you for your concerns, all.
All is well, his recoevring fast, and will be back at work in a week - with a plastered hand. But as a computer consultant, it will be a minor problem. B)
And we are discussing what to buy next.
Emil is an experienced driver with a lot of track training and half a dozen track crashes in the bag - but when you have no chances to avoid a crash, you just haven't, and must leave the rest to your equipment. A good helmet and a full safety jacket may have been of great help.
I'm quite sure I wouldn't have done this well!

RJVB wrote:
Ew.

Not a nice ending, Anders. Goes to show once more that one can never be suspicious enough in traffic (esp. when riding in different countries with potentially different takes on road safety), and also that riding training really could be better (esp. concerning emergency breaking and avoidance manoeuvres).
Not a complex fracture of the wrist & scaphoid not damaged, I hope?! Wishing him a speedy recovery, and good trip memories to both of you!

We will. Story has not really ended yet.

PS: is that melanzane alla parmigiana, the 1st starter? ;)

You bet! :woohoo:

(Mike, maybe you'd want to edit your comment about bug-eyed things now? :S)

Nah. Don't. ;)

Exactly, computer consultants only need their mouths and a hand to lug their attach

RJVB wrote:

So, what'll be next? A Rocket IV? :silly:

![/quote]

Street Triple ? F800S/ST ?
NOT a Guzzi anyway. B)

Insurance costs will probably determine.......

I'm sure I wouldn't have either. But I'm not so sure track experience really prepares you for this kind of event where a car appears in your path all of a sudden. It's all a big question (you may know we're working on it here at my lab), but seeing the straight breaking trace kind of makes you wonder if a swerve wouldn't have been possible.

No,
but it givs you a skill in braking and maybe even avoiding obstacles. If theres any space...
As I saw it, the braking was next to perfect, though a blocked wheel will cause a slightly longer stopping distance. The possible distance in this case was just too short. Maybe -MAYBE- a good working ABS-system, like the Honda, would have saved a meter or two - but that still wouldn't be enough.
The braking trace is 12 meter here, as I walked it.
You also need to count in the distance you go before you react to the situation.
In max 40 meters at 70 kmh that's just too short.
I myself had about 70 meters.

Ah crap, sorry to see such a promising and obviously enjoyable trip turn sour.. But look on the bright side - it gives you an excuse to go again and pick up where you left off.... and better still maybe Emil will see the light and travel on a Guzzi ;)

And I have edited my previous post, but really ocifer it wasn't my fault, the story had not got to the gory details when I had to finish my breakfast and nick off to work.

Wait ... Emil ...

if he's like the EEeeeeeeeeeeeeeemmmiiiiiillllllLL of the scandinavian (Danish?) TV series I remember from long ago, he'll certainly not buy a Guzzi just to please his dad ;)

Mike.C wrote:
And I have edited my previous post, but really ocifer it wasn't my fault, the story had not got to the gory details when I had to finish my breakfast and nick off to work.

Also my point. :)

Wait ... Emil ...

if he's like the EEeeeeeeeeeeeeeemmmiiiiiillllllLL of the scandinavian (Danish?) TV series I remember from long ago, he'll certainly not buy a Guzzi just to please his dad

Very Swedish, actually. Astrid Lindgren.

But no, not that Emil. And neither Zola.

Oh ... well, if you named him after my father, that's really too much of an honour there! :silly:

RJVB wrote:
Oh ... well, if you named him after my father, that's really too much of an honour there! :silly:

How did you know? Was supposed to be a secret! B)

Which, btw ( :dry: ) made me curious:

I'm sure I wouldn't have either. But I'm not so sure track experience really prepares you for this kind of event where a car appears in your path all of a sudden. It's all a big question (you may know we're working on it here at my lab), :angry: but seeing the straight breaking trace kind of makes you wonder if a swerve wouldn't have been possible.

Will you please develop and explain?

Erm, the angry smiley isn't mine?!

I hadn't seen your earlier reaction to this, somehow it had not been sent in an alert email?!

We have an ongoing project concerning emergency braking and emergency avoidance manoeuvres. It's aimed at developing a simulator for training such manoeuvres, but for that we of course need data, if not only to know how feasible the concept is, actually. Ethically, there are some questions to be resolved as soon as you're considering doing this in a realistic way...
I'd seen the distance was probably short, without being able to measure it of course

Using brackings and punctuations on this forum always makes the funniest expressions here. :D

Holt, it was a nice trip, while it lasted. I keep dreaming about touring Europe on a bike. Best wishes and speedy recovery to your son.
How did you manage to take so many pictures? I take them in hundreds or thousands when traveling by a car or public transit, but on a bike I just want to ride.

Terrific photographs, and I was really enjoying your trip until I reached the heart-sinking conclusion. I hope your son heals up quickly, and you're both able to complete this at another time! By all accounts, your son did a great job.

Back