• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Touring tires for Stelvio NTX

Ed Baker

Just got it firing!
What experience have folks had with more touring street oriented tires on the Stelvio? I see some PR3 and PR4's out there in 150/70/17. I've used 3's on my wifes R1200R and they are sweet. But what for a front in the 110/90 19? Any higher mileage stories with Tourances or Anakees? I kind of wanted to smooth the whole machine out as much as possible for some long distance stuff, and I know the 90/10 or 90/20 dual sport tires are a bit noisy and rougher.

Ed,

You can use the PR4 Trail for the 19" front. I'm going to match that with a regular PR4 rear (the Trail is a softer compound) sometime in the next month or so. Check the Michelin site, there is a .pdf with all the details on the three varieties or PR4.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I will look into it. I tend to prefer a stickier front to rear to balance wear and provide extra assurance in the turns.

I currently have about 9,000 on a set of PR4 Trails and they have been good tires, starting to get some scalloping along the sidewalls but I may have some responsibility for that with lo tire pressure and reasonably aggressive riding. I can see 12,000 miles on the hind tire when properly maintained.......

Jay

I was pretty happy with the mileage I got from a set of noisy Anakee3s on the '12 NTX, and then went for a set of RP4s. The RP4s are very good - quiet and grippy. I put the 'Trail' on the front and Standard on the rear, expecting it would wear better than the softer trail. I've been very happy with the RP4s all round.
A few weeks ago I'd have thought there was plenty of wear left in the tyres, but the rear seems to have worn particularly quickly in the last week or so - noticeably after an "enthusiastic™" ride on Sunday. The way it's worn on the right more than the left you'd be forgiven to think I'd done a track day on a clockwise track. I now have almost exactly 12 months and 10,000kms (6,000 miles) on the set and will need to replace the rear. I am a little disappointed I didn't get better mileage as most of this has been urban commuting. I now wish the harder compound "GT" version of the tyre was available in 150/70/17 [anyone know if the 170/60/17 can be fitted on the '12 NTX 4.5" rim?]. The Trail front tyre still has some meat on it, for now.

Capture1 Capture2

I have thought about the PR3 110/80 19 front as well but it is .85" (22mm) shorter heigth than the 110/90 if I do the math correctly. That is a lot, but PR3's get the best mileage of any tire I have ever used in a sport touring capacity. The set on my R1200R still looks to have 2K left in them at 8K so far and most of those miles were freeway speed touring with gear loaded for camping. I may try the pr4 trails but they are also the most expensive tires I've seen. How about a bias type tire on a radial equipped bike? I wonder if it would handle horribly? Anyone tried that? Ther seem to be a number of 110/90/19 and 150/70/17 offerings in bias out there for cruisers. I ran Michelin Marathon 88's I think they were called on a R1200C cruiser years ago and they stuck to the ground just fine and could get 10-12K mileage. So if I were just going touring on the bike it might work...

Back