Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

trade GSA for Stelvio?? What updates needed.

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by AV8OR, Aug 26, 2010.

1. AV8OR

AV8OR Just got it firing!

Im throwing the idea around of trading in my 07 GSA on a 09 Stelvio with the current incentives. Anybody think this is a dumb idea?

If I go with the purchase what things must the dealer update in order to make it a better bike? Im talking fuel maps, recalls ect...

Any other info would be great

2. coldcanuck

coldcanuck Tuned and Synch'ed

I have an '09 Stelvio and I love it. A few differences that I can identify that may be an issue for you (or may not, depending on your riding application):

1) Clutch pull on the Stelvio is quite a bit heavier than the BMW

2) The Stelvio gas tank is about half the size of the GSA tank

3) The Stelvio has a 5.5" rear wheel which makes it challenging (if not impossible) to find an aggressive tire for non-asphalt riding

On the other hand, the stock Stelvio muffler sounds 10x better than the stock GS muffler!

The Stelvio is only in it's third year and BMW sells probably 30-40 R1200GS's for every Stelvio that is sold, so the R1200GS aftermarket accessory market is obviously more developed than for the Stelvio. That being said, you can get some nice, high quality accessories such as an aluminum sump guard, windscreens, crash bars, etc. and the selection will improve as the bike ages.

On the downside, Guzzi dealerships are no where near as widespread as BMW Motorrad dealerships, and I can attest that some Guzzi dealers are better than others. This is somewhat mitigated as the Stelvio is a simple bike to work on and has strong online support via this forum.

Cory

3. fatal

fatal Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

A good pal of mine has recently traded his 2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure for a Stelvio. He's loving it, has no regrets in making the change, although there was nothing wrong with his GS, like me he was getting bored with it after six years and had always fancied a Moto Guzzi. The Stelvio fitted the bill exactly.
    I have a May 2009 model, I've covered 5500 miles now, apart from a speedo sensor failure and a misfire (cured by fitting NGK plug caps) it has been reliable, it could do with another 4 or 5 litres in the fuel tank though.

4. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Just make sure any required recalls/updates (cam, maybe map see: https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/160/2564.html )have been performed before you pick it up. Also have a go at installing the NGK plug caps to ward off any future electrical gremlins. You will see plenty of information on the caps in this forum.

5. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

AV8OR, once you get past the niggles, you'll love it. I second what John Z stated above, and in addition I'll also add that most of them have the bubbling paint issue near the filler neck, and have (or will) snap the forks at the pinch bolts at the axle. All are warrantee-able fixes, just frustrating. Also, be sure to search the "tip valve" and evaporative emissions (can).
    Find/use a good dealer, and/or buy the VDST sold here, and I also offer fueling package upgrades as well as intake and exhaust options. Once you get it how you want it, you won't want to get off of it.

Welcome (in advance) to the Guzzi Famiglia!

6. guzziben47

guzziben47 Cruisin' Guzzisti

Todd, did you really mean to say "most of [the Stelvios] . . . have (or will) snap the forks at the pinch bolts at the axle"? Are you saying I have my forks snapping to look forward to? Has anyone had the forks snap while driving?

7. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Ben no failures while riding, almost impossible I would say... and I should have made it clear that I was referring to '09's only.

8. guzziben47

Great! That's what I have: an 09. I got the tipover valve out before the paint bubbling got noticeable. I guess I have the forks snapping to look forward to next. We should just call the 2008's and 2009's what the are: PROTOTYPES (ver. 1 and ver. 2).

Is there a fix for the fork snapping (i.e. do they install a stronger fork when you bring it in under warranty)?

9. cgalardi

cgalardi Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

The right side fork on my 09 was cracked/snapped at the pinch bolt area. Replaced under warranty. Looking back, I think mine was like that when I picked it up from the dealership. I then rode it about 1000 miles from Ohio back to Florida. Not until I was washing it later did I even notice the crack.

I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that yours will snap/crack. Be careful about over tightening those pinch bolts when changing the front tire and maybe you'll never have an issue.

10. fatal

fatal Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Is there a time frame/mileage when this fault manifests itself? Surely if the bolts are not overtightened it will not happen, as it can't be occurring on every Stelvio, as MG would have to issue a recall . :?:

11. guzziben47

Would it make sense to loosen the pinch bolts, and then torque them to spec?

12. cgalardi

cgalardi Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

It SEEMS most have happened early on. It was certainly recognized as a problem by Guzzi as the 2010 models I believe have a redesigned pinch bolt area using pinch bolts with a smaller head and leaving more material in that area to prevent the snapping/cracking.

I am just going to be sure when I change my front tire I remove/replace it myself and take good care in not over tightening.

13. guzziben47

I just went out and checked mine, and they are o.k. 10NM is not very tight; it's just snugging the bolts. And it's hard to judge. I guess you don't completely close the clamp. After torquing to that value, there is still a 1/8" or so gap.

Anyway, I also checked my speedo sensor a while ago, and mine looks like a slightly different design than the one's that have problems.

So maybe some of these issues were addressed on some of the 2009 bikes....

14. AV8OR

AV8OR Just got it firing!

Thanks guys! Im gonan try and get a demo ride in and see what the deal is.