• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Transmission compatibility 07' Cal to an 86' LMiv

c20500

Just got it firing!
Any know if the later 06-07 California 5sp would fit on an LM IV?

Thanks

Charles

Yes, depending on whether your Mk IV has the deep spline or shallow spline clutch you may need new friction plates. Other than that it will slot straight on.

What's up witn the Mk IV box?

pete

Very noisy and very briefly engages with a horrible sound while on the centerstand in neutral, quiets down when the clutch in pulled in. I put a stethoscope thing to it and it really bad near the rear of the box. The clutch area was quiet. The gearbox was also run with oil only 1/2 full for who knows how long and has around 55K on it. (not me of course!) Will an older sp1000 box have the same clutch set up. Thanks for your help.

Charles

Are you saying that you sit it on the centrestand, engage a gear and then let the clutch out?
If so then it will make a horrible noise, all the uneven power pulses from the common-crankpin V-Twin will cause the entire driveline, including the cuish drives to load up and unload with nothing to *drive* apart from the rear wheel. It sounds bloody horrible. Do it with another box, especially a 5 dog box off a late model cali with the less forgiving cush drive on the input shaft and it will sound even worse!

Look, is the box leaking oil anywhere? Did the magnetic plug come out looking like a christmas tree? If not, drain it and fill it with 750ml of 75/90, 80/90 or straight 90 wt gear oil, doesn't matter what, just bloody gear oil. Then drain and fill the bevelbox with 250ml of gear oil of the same type.

Now go ride the thing for 1,000Km. Check the levels of the oils in both boxes. If a LOT, like 200ml or more, of oil has migrated from the gearbox to the bevelbox? You need new seals and o-rings in the gearbox and at that time you can re-shim it and check all the usual shit in the box and replace the crappy ATN9 bearings with AC3's.

If it hasn't? Just stop bloody worrying and go ride the piss out of it. Why do people always assume something is wrong when they are at fault for doing something silly. If you don't understand how a constant mesh box like the Guzzi five speed works? That's fine, But don't just assume it is broken because you run it in a way that it was never intended to be run! Does the owners manual say in it anywhere "It is a good idea to run the bike on it's centrestand at idle speed with a gear engaged so you can listen to the horrible clanking!"?

No. it doesn't, so stop it and go to the back of the class and sit facing the corner with the dunces cap on :cheer: :laugh:

Really mate, it does sound like you're making a problem for yourself. Go ride....

Pete

pete roper wrote:
If it hasn't? Just stop bloody worrying and go ride the piss out of it. Why do people always assume something is wrong when they are at fault for doing something silly. If you don't understand how a constant mesh box like the Guzzi five speed works? That's fine, But don't just assume it is broken because you run it in a way that it was never intended to be run! Does the owners manual say in it anywhere "It is a good idea to run the bike on it's centrestand at idle speed with a gear engaged so you can listen to the horrible clanking!"?

No. it doesn't, so stop it and go to the back of the class and sit facing the corner with the dunces cap on :cheer: :laugh:

Damn Pete, the man was just asking a question. I thought that's what these boards were for. The second half of your post was kinda harsh, don't you think? Not everyone is as mechanically inclined as you are. That's the reason we come here to ask the questions. And if we didn't ask questions, or if people just stopped coming to this board for fear of being castrated when they asked the wrong questions, there would no longer be a reason for this site to exist.

Look, I'm sorry if offence was given. There was no intention of same. Perhaps its a cultural thing but in Oz that sort of gentle piss-taking is par for the course, Jeez, you wouldn't last long at my pub if you thought that sort of comment was a put down!:laugh:

You HAVE to agree though that even if you don't understand how a gearbox works, using it in a way that it was never designed to be used and then deciding that it is stuffed on the basis of that experiment and beginning to search for a replacement, any replacement, prior to asking the question 'Am I doing something wrong?' is just a little bit paranoid and shows a lack of trust in a machine that if I felt it would cause me to not just sell it but abandon it in the nearest canal, prefferably after having set it alight! It's one of those things that just grates with me. It's like people buy a Guzzi because its "Exotic' or something and then expect, simply because it isn't mainstream, that it will be riven with problems and unreliability and be nothing more than a two-wheeled, ticking, time bomb!

All I try to do, as best I can is make the absurdity apparent and hopefully people will realize that it is simply a machine like any other and actually a very good, strong, robust and simple machine. Unfortunately like most things that fall into that category its a bit primitive and will need a bit of MAINTENANCE, (Especially as it is now 25 yeras old!) and won't respond kindly to being mistreated and sticking it in gear, on the stand, is mistreatment. How often do you jack up the driving wheels of your, (Manual) car and stick it in gear to see if it makes a horrid noise?..........................................................

Pete

pete roper wrote:
Look, I'm sorry if offence was given. There was no intention of same. Perhaps its a cultural thing but in Oz that sort of gentle piss-taking is par for the course, Jeez, you wouldn't last long at my pub if you thought that sort of comment was a put down!:laugh:
Perhaps your correct that it is a cultural thing.
You HAVE to agree though that even if you don't understand how a gearbox works, using it in a way that it was never designed to be used and then deciding that it is stuffed on the basis of that experiment and beginning to search for a replacement, any replacement, prior to asking the question 'Am I doing something wrong?' is just a little bit paranoid and shows a lack of trust in a machine that if I felt it would cause me to not just sell it but abandon it in the nearest canal, prefferably after having set it alight! It's one of those things that just grates with me. It's like people buy a Guzzi because its "Exotic' or something and then expect, simply because it isn't mainstream, that it will be riven with problems and unreliability and be nothing more than a two-wheeled, ticking, time bomb!

He has said that it was ran low on gear oil for a unknown amount of time. What he hasn't said is if makes noise or not while riding it. So for the amount of info he has provided so far, he may still have a problem.
All I try to do, as best I can is make the absurdity apparent and hopefully people will realize that it is simply a machine like any other and actually a very good, strong, robust and simple machine. Unfortunately like most things that fall into that category its a bit primitive and will need a bit of MAINTENANCE, (Especially as it is now 25 yeras old!) and won't respond kindly to being mistreated and sticking it in gear, on the stand, is mistreatment. How often do you jack up the driving wheels of your, (Manual) car and stick it in gear to see if it makes a horrid noise?..........................................................

Pete

How about if I said we ran it jacked up from the center of the rear end housing every time it goes to the race track. That's how we warm the entire drive train up before pulling on the track for the first time of the day. No drive train backlash unless you start jacking on the throttle. Whats probably happening on the bike by running it on the center stand, is the extreme angle that the u-joint is running at isn't happy at all. I see guys having constant problems on 4X4 trucks when lifting them without changing the pinion angle on the drive axles.

7135Small.jpg

Re:Transmission compatibility 07' Cal to an 86' LM

I want you to know that I have reported Pete's post to the moderator. Oh never mind Pete is the moderator....

8^))

monday morning...

I heard that clunking noise once a long time ago and i got chewed out by Pete for running in gear on the Cstand. Didn't know I was doing anything wrong but I sure was relieved to find out they all do that. Never did that again and that bike went on to run perfectly for 40k by me and then on to someone else.
That must have been 10 years ago! Thanks for still being there for us newbies PETE!
here's the bike in question, loved her dearly!

ROLL4DX-06.jpg

I wasn't clear enough. This all happens just being in Neutral with the bike running either on the centerstand or not. I tried to just creep away in and it's pretty bad. I'll drain to see if the plug has collected bits....

Thanks

Charles

Ah Pete, you blew it. I thought for sure you would say you'll take the bloody stuffed crud box off his hands for shipping.

Diagnosing sounds on the internet is IMPOSSIBILE. Now, take it apart with photos, and we can be of help. ;)

>>>>Look, is the box leaking oil anywhere? Did the magnetic plug come out looking like a christmas tree? If not, drain it and fill it with 750ml of 75/90, 80/90 or straight 90 wt gear oil, doesn't matter what, just bloody gear oil. Then drain and fill the bevelbox with 250ml of gear oil of the same type.<<<<<

So Pete, this time you REALLY asked for it: what bloody type of the above oil is the best?????:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

" Look, I'm sorry if offence was given. There was no intention of same. Perhaps its a cultural thing but in Oz that sort of gentle piss-taking is par for the course, Jeez, you wouldn't last long at my pub if you thought that sort of comment was a put down!"

I'm sure it is a cultural thing Pete.

Anyway it appears the balance is being redressed, lots of Kiwis are moving to Oz...should increase the IQ of both places.:lol:

c20500 wrote:
I wasn't clear enough. This all happens just being in Neutral with the bike running either on the centerstand or not. I tried to just creep away in and it's pretty bad. I'll drain to see if the plug has collected bits....

Thanks

Charles

OK, sp something is seriously wrong with the box. My best guess is the shock absorber spring has shattered, Mk IV's were worse for this than most other bikes, they ahd a bad batch I reckon.

Take it out and have a looksee.

Instructions for same are up on Guzzitech dk but if Todd wants to nick my stuff from there and pt it up here that's fine by me.

Pete

the drain plug wasn't that bad. Time to pull it. Any special tricks in pulling it out by leaving the motor in place?

Thanks
Charles

pete roper wrote:
Instructions for same are up on Guzzitech dk but if Todd wants to nick my stuff from there and pt it up here that's fine by me.
Done.

Regarding the input spline. Can the deeper one be placed on the older tranny?

c20500 wrote:
Regarding the input spline. Can the deeper one be placed on the older tranny?

yes. In fact it is a recommended upgrade to use the deep spline setup on the hub and clutch plates. They are not mix and match, 2mm hub must be used with 2mm plates, 4mm hub with 4mm plates.

Thanks for everyones help as the swap went well and the bike shifts great. I've never ridden a big block guzzi as I've only had a v50. What Beast! Tons of torque

ThAnks. ChaRles

Back