Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Transmission/Final Drive question

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by Hydrolastic, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Hydrolastic

Hydrolastic Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I have done a search and have not come up with anything conclusive here. Does anyone here know why Guzzi changed from recommending GL-5 oil in the final drive to GL-4 in the Cal 1400? I have confirmed this spec in both the user manual and service manual. Usually this is due to materials used and reaction to the EP additives, but it would be the first time I have seen a higher rating in the gearbox vs. the final drive.

Dave

2. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

I use Redline Shockproof Heavy full synthetic in both.

3. Moto-Uno

Moto-Uno Cruisin' Guzzisti

4. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

I wasn't asking any questions, but just stating what I have used for years.

I did read the link, but I'm not convinced I should change my thinking.

5. Hydrolastic

Hydrolastic Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

kiwi dave - I was the one asking the question.

Peter - thanks for the link.

Dave

6. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Then let me ask a question. Why is the tin foil brigade not willing to embrace synthetic oils, when it has been proven to be far superior to dinosaur oils?

7. Moto-Uno

Moto-Uno Cruisin' Guzzisti

You'll have to excuse me , but what is the "tin foil brigade" , don't believe I've ever mentioned that syn oils aren't great .
    Does anyone here have evidence of a modern oil (dino or syn ) that is directly responsible for a gearbox or rear drive
    box failure ( assuming suggested change intervals ) ? Nor I :) . Peter