• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Transmission oil

If I understand you problem, it's a noise you hear when the clutch is not pulled in...when the clutch is engaged. That's the clutch itself, not the transmission. Changing tranny fluid won't make any difference. What you are hearing is normal for this type of dry clutch. Although not the same design, you should get near a dry clutch Ducati with an open clutch cover...now, that's LOUD.

There are oils you can try, I personally use Redline Shock proof heavy. But the oil you posted was designed for limited slip differential applications. While that may work well in a wet clutch motorcycle gearbox application I am not sure it would be the best choice for a dry clutch motorcycle gearbox as on our Guzzi's.
I am surprised that the noise you hear when the clutch is not pulled in, when the bike is in neutral, is that loud. They all tend to rattle/knock, some more then others. But I have yet to hear one that is so loud it is an issue.
I am not sure the sound you are referring to is the dry clutch sound as mentioned, I think you are talking about when the clutch is engaged/lever out and the bike is in neutral. That sound is from the individual firing pulses accelerating and decelerating the first half of the gearbox, including the clutch but since the plates are locked together it would be more the splines of the clutch then the dry plates.
It is normal, but if yours is overly loud then I would check your throttle body sync and make sure your idle is not too low.
Beyond that, I use the Redline Shockproof as mentioned.

GuzziMoto said:
I am surprised that the noise you hear when the clutch is not pulled in, when the bike is in neutral, is that loud. They all tend to rattle/knock, some more then others.

You got it right. It is loud.... knock knock knock... But all working fine, noise is "normal"

GuzziMoto said:
I think you are talking about when the clutch is engaged/lever out and the bike is in neutral. That sound is from the individual firing pulses accelerating and decelerating the first half of the gearbox

Yes, I love this noise.. like a simphony

The first one is over the second (simphony) and I would like to lower it, if possible. Only in neutral position, when I am riding gears change perfect.

That is my initial motivation for this thread, 75w140 will improve noise? Redline shockproof 75w250 or 75w140? wooow ..250, isn't it too much?

"Film thickness greater than an SAE 250" is not the same as viscosity of an SAE250.
It has the viscosity of a 75W90 but the film thickness of a 75W250. It is very clingy and coats everything it touches. It does not run off like normal oils do.
There is also a Light version that is like a 75W140 film wise but the viscosity of an 80W. I use the Heavy.
It is up to you, but I would use shockproof before running a thicker oil.

Are you sure it isn't just the pressure plate rattling when the clutch is released? They tend to do that.
If you put some pressure on the lever, does it stop the noise? if so, it is likely just the pressure plate rattling and a little pressure tightens it up. That would be normal.

Seen here, it just floats in there under that clip. Pulling the lever, or high RPM makes it quiet.

Attachments

• pressure.png
    pressure.png
    438.3 KB · Views: 645
Thanks for your answers.

Yes, when I press the left hand lever, the knock knock knock disappears. I know this noise is normal, I don't mean I have a problem, but I'd like to lower the noise as I heard other stelvio...

I checked the idle a couple of times in the last 3 weeks, always between 1200-1250 rpm. Not related to this, but in the morning, since the automatic starter is on,(I had it disabled before) the rpm takes some time around 1000rpm, then it reaches nearly 2000rpm, in neutral position without touching throttle.

I will try redline shockproof heavy, I found it on german ebay.

Cheers
Ps. When I don't want to hear any clutch or engine, I just take the db killer out!! I tried it today, zard muffler roars

Its a dry clutch! Its going to make some noise! If you want the noise to go away buy a bike with a wet clutch.

You can put Redline Heavy Shockproof, Holy Water, Cod liver oil, unicorn blood or whatever else you want in the transmission and it will not quit down the clutch.

If by chance adding Redline reduces a noise coming from the transmission you better get the transmission looked at ASAP. The transmission shouldn't be making ratteling noises.

As another post stated. Ducati dry clutches with a worn steel basket, steel plates and open clutch can be quite noisy. I personally love the sound of a dry clutch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECg24JWy ... detailpage

He is not talking about the noise the clutch makes when he pulls the lever in.
He is talking about the noise it makes with the clutch lever out.
That has little to do with it being a dry clutch.
When the clutch lever is out, the clutch is engaged, the springs are pushing the pressure plate up against the clutch pack and into the fly wheel. That is not when a dry clutch makes it typical rattle. It rattles when you pull the clutch in, releasing the pressure against the clutch pack and allowing the plates to rattle against each other.

Ok....getting deja vu. This thread was discussed before. Believe it had to do with single plate vs dual plate dry clutch. The Stelvio has a single plate clutch. Rattles when clutch is engaged (lever out) and in neutral. My Stelvio does it, they all do it. Not sure of the mechanics but will try to find the thread later.

Sorry I didn't find any previous thread.

I got my answer, thanks.

I love my guzzi stelvio, not going to buy other bike, I tried other trail (tourer) and this is the one. As said before I heard a few stelvio, not everyone sounds the same and all are dry clutch, I know what dry clutch means. I don't get people talking about other bikes in this thread.

Again, thanks and enjoy the ride

GuzziMoto said:
He is not talking about the noise the clutch makes when he pulls the lever in.
He is talking about the noise it makes with the clutch lever out.
That has little to do with it being a dry clutch.
When the clutch lever is out, the clutch is engaged, the springs are pushing the pressure plate up against the clutch pack and into the fly wheel. That is not when a dry clutch makes it typical rattle. It rattles when you pull the clutch in, releasing the pressure against the clutch pack and allowing the plates to rattle against each other.

When the transmission is in neutral what is the clutch engaged against?

The flywheel on the back of the engine. The clutch springs are pushing the pressure plate and friction plates against the flywheel on the back of the engine. That causes the clutch and the input shaft to the transmission to spin at engine speed. It is the same whether the transmission is in neutral or any gear.
The output shaft from the transmission is not spinning with it as it is in neutral, but the input shaft would be spinning at engine speed in this scenario.

GuzziMoto said:

Sorry, but this is WRONG.

A clutch assembly makes noise when the lever is pulled, typically just the plates rattling around.
It can ALSO make noise when the lever is released. At that time all of the plates are squeezed tight and not rattling, BUT, there can be a release cup, plate or throw out bearing (see the photo I posted) that the pushrod would normally press, but it is now loose and can rattle around.

I have no clue why anyone would change the transmission lube to impact a dry clutch rattle.

Wayne Orwig said:
GuzziMoto said:

I have no clue why anyone would change the transmission lube to impact a dry clutch rattle.

Or why change the transmission lube type for any reason. Why not just use what Guzzi recommends .... ? :?:

Lannis

Lannis said:
Or why change the transmission lube type for any reason. Why not just use what Guzzi recommends .... ? :?:

Why people change stock exhaust/air filter? They might even think to buy the power commander... when guzzi has ECU working fine...

It's about feelings, emotions :wink:

Wayne Orwig said:
GuzziMoto said:

Sorry, but this is WRONG.

A clutch assembly makes noise when the lever is pulled, typically just the plates rattling around.
It can ALSO make noise when the lever is released. At that time all of the plates are squeezed tight and not rattling, BUT, there can be a release cup, plate or throw out bearing (see the photo I posted) that the pushrod would normally press, but it is now loose and can rattle around.

And the splines to the input shaft could rattle. But that is not the sound of a dry clutch. And if your splines OR throw out bearing are rattling so loud as to be blatantly obvious and annoying OVER the sounds of the motor running then that seems wrong. BUT, as mentioned, the transmission can and does rattle when the bike is in neutral while the clutch is engaged.
Maybe the noise he is hearing IS the throw out bearing (that seems scary). Maybe it is the trans. What I know is it is NOT the dry clutch plates rattling.

RaulNTX said:
Lannis said:

It's about feelings, emotions :wink:

I'm sure that's true. :-? But my transmission gears and bearings, and their rate of wear, don't care much about my feelings and emotions!

Lannis

Back