• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

transmission torque/torsion-plate

Hudriwudri

Tuned and Synch'ed
hi there,

as im currently still (lifetime project LOL :lol: ) in the process of working on my Rnd cyl. tonti guzzi im trying to eliminate the frame lower rails as a measure for a lil less weight, better routing possibilities for the exhaust as well as looks (since im pondering on the idea of also using the later cam cover and perhaps cutting the front frame struts as well).

Anyways after i milled myself a decent 8mm torqueplate i noticed that without load my u-joint seems to touch (makes es a slight touching noise) the kardanhousing as im using quite long 350mm konis as those gave me back then a more responsive handling along with a lowered fork.

My question is "can" one without any greater danger, and knowing one should change with such long rear shocks the u-joint accordingly often, shim the torqueplate in order to line up the joint again, or is it a semi stupid idea??

I saw on some of the pics of racebikes (i.e. motobox guzzi) that they some of them also seem to have quite long rear shocks, nevertheless im hesitant to just go for the shimming, for safetymeasures, as i do not want to imagine a breaking, blocking U-joint to happen to me.
If i can i would love to keep the long rear shocks for the added handling.

thanks a lot for your help

tanti saluti and kind regards from italy

Christian

Interestingly, I had a look at a BMW (75/5) recently that had been modded for post classic racing etc.
The original front engine mount was below the horizontal lower frame rails, the mounting point had been shifted to above the frame rails. This effectively gives the Beemer more ground clearance by raising the cylinder heads.

THE ENGINE IS NOW CANTED BACKWARD AT A SHALLOW ANGLE, INSTEAD OF BEING HORIZONTAL.

I'm picturing in my head, if you are changing the Guzzi's front mount, and you are making a hefty plate for the rear top mount, then I ask the question?

How much room or how many degrees can you tilt the engine backward to lessen the angle at the uni joint?

To lessen the U Joint angle you could raise the front of the engine, especially if you are changing the front engine mounts. Team Taurus seem to have done this, see attached photo.

13.5 is considered the longest shock for a short swing arm.

Attachments

• MC_alfa12_cerchiTT_1.jpg
    MC_alfa12_cerchiTT_1.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 1,575
Hello

first of, sorry for my delay in answering,
thanks to you for all your recommendations, i will try to look into the engine reangling issue when i get there.
The BMW version of reangling i knew as there are quite some BMW race bikes around here that have that sort of modification.
To be honest though, i might try to leave the engine parallel to the frame since it gives on guzzis such a nice picture with the monolitihic Guzzi engine sans lower loops, in line with the frame compared to modded BMW's.
Concerning the swingarm length from what i know my bike should have a Sp1000 swingarm as it used to be a Sp1000 originally.
From what i got told around here i assume the Sp1000 swingarms where the longer ones.
Anyways first i have to find myself the newer timing cover with the added upper mounting loops.
As said im afraid it will be a longer project :lol: :oops:

kind regards and thanks :D

Christian

I like Motoguzzi MAS12 race bike the most! It is a real sensation...It is strong and powerful!

Back