• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

trouble with my G12

Ad B

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Hi,

I'm enjoying my G12 for several years now :inlove:
I'm not making many miles (km's), but I'm enjoying every mile (km) I ride. :mm:
But this year is the first year I'm "enjoying" an electrical problem...:(
A few months back, during good weather (no winter conditions...), the first drive this year was nice.
Absolutely no problems, It was very nice to ride my shiny Italian again.
The day after, I had a party at our bike club..., I took the bike outside, packed my bike with tent and sleeping gear, got myself dressed, turned the ignition key and pushed the starter button...
Pow... nothing more... red triangel end "SERVICE" in red in my dash. :eek:
All the fuses were okay... (nice to check when your bike has an alarm system...)
I went by car to our party... damn.
Later that week, I checked battery, battery connections, ground connection...
I also had 2 error messages in the dash (ECU error 36 and 45...)
After the cleaning, it was okay again. No red triangel, no "SERVICE" in my dash, no error message.
I cleaned every electrical connection at my G12, to prevent it to happen again. :nerd:
I didn't ride it any more because of salty winter conditions in our region.
Last Thursday I took my G12 again, enjoying a little ride from about 22 mils (35 km)
Unfortunately, shit happened again on Friday...
Again, ready for a weekend take off, all dressed up for a bit rainy weather...
Ignition on... check... push button... pow... again... Red triangel, "SERVICE" in red... :cry:
f...., f...., and more of those words... :banghead: :devil:
Yesterday with my first tiny check, extra car battery at the bike, no result...
Error message in the dash: ECU 36
Checked fuses again... damn, from the alarm was okay... but fuse B from the auxiliary fuses was broke.
New fuse in place and everything was okay again. Error message gone now.
What's the best thing for me to do/check now?
Must I do something with that error 36?
Is this the 'modern "No start" issue'??? (https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/modern-no-start-issue-solution.4908/)
Must I clean some connection even better?
Or Todd, is it better to make the other connection as you described in "Wildguzzi.com" in August 2011?
wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=48127.0
(is that part still for sale??)
Who can give me a good advice, so I won't get into trouble with this anymore?? :swear:
Our "bike" season has just started... I want to ride... I want to enjoy my gorgeous G12!!

Thanks.
Ad B

ECU 36 is the fuel pump relay. I suggest replacing that relay. Error 45 is Starter Relay c.c. ground. So doing the starter relay mod may be helpful. Unfortunately the error code description are pretty vague, so you just have to look at that component for the fault.

How old is the battery? Replace it and I would bet your problem goes away if the battery is older then a few years.

Hi Todd,

The battery is nearly 3 years old/young, a Yuasa YTX20CH-BS...
I recharged the battery outside the bike and took the battery to a motorbike shop/workshop.
I always visit that workshop, already nearly 40 years...
We tested the battery in several ways under (heavy) load.
2 times with an "old skool" tester, more than 10 seconds each.
A tester like this:
26083338251_c0e707314c_t.jpg

The pointer stayed full in the green at the right side all the time.
And a few times on a expensive modern (Honda) $1800 costing tester.
Also this tester concluded all in the green.
Afterwards the current of the battery was still at 12.7 volt.
We concluded, the battery is in top condition.

After a chat, laughing and some coffee, I went home again with my battery.
I put him back in my G12, his current says 12,4 volt...
As well in the dash as at my multi tester.
How much is the voltage allowed to drop during starting?
My G12 is starting right away, but I thought I saw the voltage go down in the 10'th V or so.
But I couldn't read that good, because the bike is starting so good.
And during running it goes immediately to 13.6 Volt.

More ideas...?
Trying starting with with bougiecaps of? (other bougies in the caps along the bike, so they can spark)
And during starting measuring his voltage drop?
Or looking to other reasons?

Thanks.
Ad B

I would do the Modern No Start fix, just because it should be done.
The Griso, and other modern Guzzi's, will abort starting if the voltage drops below a certain threshold.
On newer bikes, I thought you could over ride that feature by holding the start button in.

Yes,
I'm thinking of making that "Modern No Start Fix".
Just tested the voltage drop during starting.
Bougiecaps off, spare bougies into the caps.
During starting (under load, with compression), voltage is dropping to 10.95 volt. Not lower.
I think, that's not to bad.

Ad B

Back