RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, ALERT FOR Store purchases - riding season is here, so we know everyone wants it yesterday. However, lead times are long and many things are sold out or back-ordered, and there isn't much we can do to rush anything. Always best to buy off Season when things are in stock. Also, there are many seasonal holidays this time of year, both here and in Europe (particularly the Italian August Holiday month), so please be patient! We aren't Amazon. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. Please note GuzziTech and the GTM Store is largely a ONE man operation. Requests for phone calls will be deleted. We are online only. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE OR JUST disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. Thanks for your understanding and support.
  2. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

Troubleshooting circuits

Discussion in 'Chat & Tech Info' started by john zibell, Aug 20, 2009.

1. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

I've seen may requests for help with circuits. Several years ago I wrote an article for a magazine on a basic system for finding faults. Hopefully with this basic instruction and help from Carl Allison's schematics,https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/resources/categories/wiring.16/ , you will be able to locate the gremlins.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  2. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Good advice. One issue I would warn about would be using a voltmeter or multimeter to measure voltages. Because of the high input impedance of these devices, they tend to find "phantom voltages" which may disappear when any load is applied.

I prefer the light bult (low wattage) tester, especially those that can penetrate insulation. They don't tell so many lies. :lol:

3. john zibell

kiwi dave wrote:
    Yes a test light is good for tracing 12 volts, but if it is a control circuit, say 5 volts like the TPS supplied voltage, the light may not light.

4. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

Also a control circuit is likely to be a high impedance load anyway, so putting a low impedance light across it will load the circuit to the point that it definitely won't work.
    Correctly used, a voltmeter will give a lot of information, but always check voltages under load.
    By this I mean, if a light is dim, don't disconnect it before measuring the voltage. If you do, then you will not be able to find a high resistance joint.
    Remember, you can also use a voltmeter to check voltage drop along a cable.

5. WayneOrwig

WayneOrwig GT Reference

Re: Re:Troubleshooting circuits

I carry a 12 volt bulb with wires soldered to it and clips on the end for this very reason. I have seen too many people mistake a poor high impedance connection for a good connection because they use a fancy digital meter that isn't loading the circuit.

Plus the light bulb can come in handy along the road at night as a trouble light. :laugh:

Not very useful for setting a TPS, but great for most other things.

6. Cat City Rider

Cat City Rider Cruisin' Guzzisti

As a retired (retarded?) Telephone Switch Maintainer who went from tin cans and strings to fiber optics over a 41 year career I feel that I can say that there is nothing better than using a simple "bug lamp" or trouble shooting lamp for most things where electronics are not involved. I emphasized the electronics part as we do not wish to blow any diodes or chips in the circuit.
    A dim bulb can say a lot if there is a poor connection and will help you find trouble when it is easy to wiggle wires and connections while looking for changes. A digital multimeter will have numbers rolling all over the place and will be impossible to read, an analog multimeter will at least show trends up or down.
    An over bright bulb obviously will demonstrate excess voltages.
    There is a term called step by step trouble shooting meaning that you can break down each questionable section to help isolate the problem. Chasing a problem through a multi story building with no elevator is different than a bike, but the same idea applies. My wife tells me that there is a French expression that says, "if you don't have good brains, than you better have good legs". I have good legs. :laugh:
    A nice sharp almost needle like probe on the end of a lead is good for poking into wires and minimizing any damage that a chunky stock multimeter probe may cause.

WindwardWarrior likes this.
  7. Petrov

Petrov Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Thank you for posting the article!

8. William C. Myers

William C. Myers Just got it firing!

John Zibell,
    Do you have a favorite book(s) or recmommendation on "books on basic circuits'?

William

9. john zibell

William, I'm afraid I don't have a recommendation for you. What I relayed is what I was taught going through a missile maintainer course at Redstone Arsenal. It was part of the training I received to be a technical writer on missile systems.

10. William C. Myers

William C. Myers Just got it firing!

Found this on the web: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/

WindwardWarrior and Auris like this.
  11. john zibell

William, that looks like a good resource. Glad you found it.

12. Sanchin10

Sanchin10 Just got it firing!

13. john zibell

Answered by PM

14. Sanchin10

Sanchin10 Just got it firing!

Thanks John!