Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Turn Signal Help

Discussion in 'Griso-Bella Chat & Tech' started by wildgeezer, May 29, 2013.

1. wildgeezer

wildgeezer Just got it firing!

I picked up my new-used Griso yesterday and it has a no right turn signal error on the dash. Someone has replaced the rear signals with what looks like the cheapest units they could buy at the Dollar General. I have switched the bulbs around but nothing. I'm planning on changing the signal lights, but is there something else I should check? The left works fine, but when I hit the right I think I hear a faint click from the back of the bike the first time then nothing.

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Get Carl's schematic for the bike from the tech tab above. Check to make sure the lights have a good ground. After that if no lights, start checking the power side of the circuit. Turn signals are controlled by the dash unit. Let's hope the problem isn't there.

3. Phang

Phang Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

[​IMG]

If your turn signals worth a dollar, very likely the workmanship of the wiring too.

My mate showed me his 1100 Griso rear turn signals wiring underneath the rear fender lately, the wires are cut, twisted/joined with a loop or two of electrical tape over the joints.

I replaced mine recently, the proper way to do it is removing the entire rear fender. If you are using the stock turn signals, the entire job can be done in less than 30 minutes.

Mine

[​IMG]

4. wildgeezer

Well i am confused now. I replaced the rear turn signals today hoping that would fix the problem. When I unhooked the left rear and used my tester, the left front was still flashing but faster than with both hooked up. When I touched the positive terminal with my test light the flashing slowed to a normal rate. When I turn the right signal on, nothing happens. No lights, no indicator, no test light on terminal,nothing. On top of that it has an oil leak at the right cylinder head, just a gasket I hope. Two bolts under thespark plug guard were loose. And to beat all, the oil didn't even register on the dip stick. I had to add over a half a quart to even get it on the dip stick. Not sure if the pressure sensor is working as it didn't come on. The waening light comes on during the ignition sequence, but not at start up like my LeMans does. I love the way it rides, but it is not giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling right now.

5. wildgeezer

OK. I know that there is nothing coming out of the instrument panel for the right side. I traced the harness out of the turn signal switch to the first connection, under the left front of the gas tank. I tried to use my test light to find the wires for the switch by turning on the left signal light and finding a wire with current then turning off the signal to see if my tester went out. It never did. So how does the switch tell the instrument panel to turn on the lights?

6. john zibell

Absolutely normal. Flash rates are dependent on load. It is sounding like the problem may be the signal switch, or the dash. My suggestion is to take it over to Rider's Hill and have Steve look at the problem. They are probably the closest good tech service shop.

7. wildgeezer

I may have to, but they are 200 mile away so I would really like to take care of it myself if I can. The way I reason it is that if it is a short it would have to be in the switch, the dash, or wires before the dash otherwise I would have either a front or rear signal light. Does this sound correct?

8. john zibell

Your calling it a short tells me you need to take it to someone. The problem is probably and open. Something isn't making the needed connection.

9. wildgeezer

Well, 1st problem down. Signal problem turned out to be the 9 pin connector the connects the turn signal switch to the harness under the left front of the tank. Now I just have to find a way to fix it without butchering the harness. It's just not making a solid connection. Now I hope that the valve cover gasket fixes the oil leak and I'll be in business.

10. john zibell

See if you can compress the female connector that carries the turn signal current to make a tighter connection with the male plug. A jewelers screwdriver may do the trick. Just be very careful if the female connector is on the harness side. If on the switch side and it ends up damaged you can always get another switch. Replacing a harness is not fun and it is expensive.