RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, Happy 2019! Note all of our products and custom bike builds are now on our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com. You may need a new username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. NOTE: We are not Amazon, we are a tiny one man operation. Thanks for your patience on orders. GuzziTech is now back to our origins; Enjoy the Guzzi Community Forum and Resources here. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx®) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine from 2000 until 2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work via our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our Seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

Turn Signal Issues

Discussion in 'Chat & Tech Info' started by edchavez, Feb 10, 2019.

1. edchavez

edchavez Just got it firing!

Hello!

New to the forum and Moto Guzzis in general! Just got a 2000 V11 Jackal. The turn signals were working fine, and I changed out the bars and now neither side works.

•When I switch the signal to the right, the light on the dash lights up dimly. But the actual turn signal bulb doesn’t.

•However the light on the dash nor the actual turn signal lights up if I try the left turn signal.

•Both bulbs look fine, and I’m not sure where to start in diagnosing the issue.

Any help would be appreciated, Thank you!

2. Param

Param Just got it firing!

may be start with clean up of the handlebar switch , and the flasher relay to check it receives power when hanbdlebar switch is in On position in both left and right position
    thank you

3. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT Contributor

Looking at a wiring diag, the front ground for turn signals, dash, lights, clocks comes from a black wire on a 10pin plug on frame under fuel tank. On the 10pin plug from L/H switch there is also a ground wire (black). For positive, the blinker(flasher) supplies power through center post on L & R switch.
    So looks like you stressed a wire in either the plugs or handlebar L/H switch
    Service manual in downloads has a wiring diag in it. Check your work.

Brian UK likes this.
  4. guzzisti91

guzzisti91 Tuned and Synch'ed

How ironic! I had a very similar issue with my '02 Nevada! I took out the flasher can & here's what i found... 20190217_004259.jpg

As you can see, the shunt wire fried, causing the indicators to stop working properly. This was after a long trip & trying new indicators. Any 3-pinned flasher can will do - they're dirt cheap. However, you may not like new rate of flash, so i ended up picking one off an old AU falcon & it worked perfectly.

5. guzzisti91

You could also try replacing the shunt with some fuse wire if you can get it open & you're good with a soldering iron....

V700Steve likes this.
  6. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

I don't believe in coincidence. If something stops working just after you changed things, then it's almost certain you have done something to stop it working. Check all the connections, make sure nothing has been pulled out.

V700Steve likes this.
  7. Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Interesting ... Does a similar flasher module exist in a V7iii? Thus far I've been led to believe that the flasher is all completely integrated into the dash/instrument cct board.

8. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT Contributor

No, that Cali dash is analog cept for lectric tach.

9. pseudo LM

pseudo LM Just got it firing!

I just had a similar indicator fault, with an added headlight malfunction with my '74 850T, I replaced the flasher unit with a generic unit from an auto parts store, then buggered around with a multimeter for a day, weird things were happening, until I placed a jumper lead from the headlight shell, to earth,,,everything worked again (sometimes it's the simple things in life ?)

10. guzzisti91

Hmm, bad earth. Reminds me of my automotive pre-voc training course, where they induced one & challenged us to find the fault

pseudo LM likes this.