Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - we've been proud to harbor such wonderful Guzzisti camaraderie since 2005, for FREE. Times have changed, and so have the attitudes and expectations of far too many. Starting Jan 1, 2020, we will likely be shifting to a paid to participate format. You will still be able to read for free. This should alleviate all of the negativity that the free social media channels have created. If you are a donor or customer of ours, you're in, just use the Contact tab above if your account is not already promoted, or you can Upgrade your account once signed in. Or the Donate tab above is another option. We look forward to continuing this service to the Guzzi community, but it is not cheap or easy to host and maintain. We wish you the best for the Holidays and in the New Year.

Turn Signal Lenses

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by guzziben47, Jul 29, 2010.

1. guzziben47

guzziben47 Cruisin' Guzzisti

I have a USA bike with the turn signals in the mirrors, and I wanted to see if I could get lenses for the the Euro style turn signals. There is a silver plastic part where the lens would go so I figured I'd pop it out, pop a lens, socket and bulb in, hook up the wires and go. But I couldn't find anywhere to buy the lenses.

Then I was looking at the silver plastic part very closely one morning and I realized I already have the lens. The silver plastic part is actually a clear turn signal lens painted silver!!! I removed the paint and now I have the two clear Euro style lenses. All I need is the socket (the housing is already there) and a bulb.

Neat, eh?

2. kwn306

kwn306 High Miler

Contact Wayne Orwig (moderator), his dealer can hook you up with what you need. Also touch base with Todd the owner of this forum he might be able to help you as well.

3. WayneOrwig

WayneOrwig GT Reference

My dealer had no problem ordering them from stock.
    We knew the silver ones are simply painted over clear lenses. But I didn't want the hassle of trying to get the paint off without damaging them, and the replacements include the sockets and bulbs. Just plug in and go.
    The replacement mirrors have a LOT less vibration. Very nice.

4. guzziben47

I was thinking of putting a socket in there for a two filament bulb and wiring it so it will work as a running light and turn signal. I might also stick an LED cluster in there....

5. cgalardi

cgalardi Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Hi Wayne,

Did you just use the existing turn signal wiring that goes to the mirrors when wiring your new turn signals?

6. cgalardi

Ben, thanks for the idea to just remove the paint off the existing turn signal housings. I used an old sock and some rubbing alcohol and in about 20 minutes I was done! Silver paint came off really easily.

7. coldcanuck

coldcanuck Tuned and Synch'ed

I ordered a pair of Euro turn signals and a pair of Aprilia mirrors for my Stelvio from MPH Cycles for $110. The signals complete with the lens, socket, and bulb and are easy replace - you remove a screw on the bottom and on the inside of the plastic faring and the lens pops out. You disconnect the lens at the quick connect and attach the new lens and re-install. You can probably replace both in 5 minutes if you're quick. I wouldn't even bother with cleaning the paint from the existing lens and trying to find a bulb, although I see you've already cleaned the paint out of it.

Cory

8. WayneOrwig

WayneOrwig GT Reference

It is a simple plug and go. The mirror/signals unplug near where the 'real' signals go. Just plug them in, and you are set.

9. cgalardi

Thank you gents

10. cgalardi

Hi Ben,

Do you have any ideas re: where to get a socket/bulb that would work in the Stelvio lens? I mean other than the Guzzi parts. Apparently they are on back order now.

Thanks,

Chris

11. cgalardi

I stopped by NAPA after work and picked up a couple single filament amber bulbs and single filament sockets. After a tiny bit of dremel-ing on the socket hole of the lens the little plastic sockets slipped into place nicely. Got them wired up and voila, I have euro-turn signals!

I used an old sock and rubbing alcohol to take the silver paint off the plastic lenses. That worked remarkably well and I was done with both lenses in about 20-25 minutes.

EDIT: I have some 1200 Sport mirrors on order so soon the crappy stockers will be gone!

LINK TO SHORT VIDEO:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw3fcO5Gihs

Attached Files:

12. coldcanuck

Sweet - but you're still living with those crappy North American mirrors. If you switch to the Aprilia mirrors (or any other mirror with decently designed attachment system) you will improve your rear view visibility dramatically!!!

Cory

13. cgalardi

Hi Cory,

I forgot to mention I have a set of Guzzi 1200 Sport mirrors on the way from MPH cycles :) I loved those when I had my Griso!

14. guzziben47

I did the same thing: contacted MHP and found out they are out of them. I'm on the waiting list. Until then I used a socket for a slightly larger bulb and just duct taped it on there. I was thinking another option might be to get an LED cluster and put that in there....

15. WayneOrwig

WayneOrwig GT Reference

If you use LEDs instead of a normal bulb, you are likely to get a dashboard error telling you the bulbs are bad.
    It is easy to correct with a resistor across the LEDs.

16. Flay

Flay Tuned and Synch'ed

Excellent! After looking at three places today, I couldn't come up with a single filament socket that was close enough to wrangle in. You wouldn't happen to have the NAPA part number for the socket you found, would you?

The mirrors are driving me bonkers! It's not just the visibility, it's the sound of them vibrating. Even duct tape stops working after awhile (but it looks terrific! ;-).

17. cgalardi

Hi Flay,

I can do you one better. I had already ordered the lens/socket set from MPH Cycles and just got those and installed them today. So my original ones with the sockets I bought are no longer needed. Would you be interested in buying these lenses/sockets/bulbs...pretty cheap?

If not I used NAPA part #LS6255 (light socket). The tabs on the socket don't match up with the notches on the lens so I used a dremel to grind away a little bit so the tabs on the socket slid into the lens. It's a nice, tight fit.

Chris

Attached Files:

18. Forseti

Forseti Cruisin' Guzzisti

I just crazy glued the glass to the housing to stop the buzzing and that also cleared up much of the view as well.
    Not a perfect fix but it works till I change out the mirrors.. if I do.... as I like the visibility of the signals where they are.
    I might leave them where they are and add a led set up in the euro positions

19. Flay

Flay Tuned and Synch'ed

The previous owner of the bike gave that a try and accidentally cracked the glass in the left. I've got the lens innards now (thanks for the offer cgalardi!, but I was trying to get all this done for a weekend ride). Just need to find a suitable replacement mirror in town. The closest Guzzi dealer only has a left 1200 Sport mirror in stock so I'm trying to find a aftermarket alternative today (any suggestions as to what might fit appreciated!).

20. coldcanuck

I think the bike has a standard mirror nut size. MPH Cycle shipped me a pair of Aprilia mirrors, another regular poster is using mirrors off a V-Strom, and another Guzzi owner here in Ottawa (who has a CalVin or something similar) just bought a pair of mirrors at Crappy Tire. I'd suggest just going to a bike shop and trying on mirrors until you find ones that fit and that you like.

Cory