• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Turn Signal Lenses

guzziben47

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I have a USA bike with the turn signals in the mirrors, and I wanted to see if I could get lenses for the the Euro style turn signals. There is a silver plastic part where the lens would go so I figured I'd pop it out, pop a lens, socket and bulb in, hook up the wires and go. But I couldn't find anywhere to buy the lenses.

Then I was looking at the silver plastic part very closely one morning and I realized I already have the lens. The silver plastic part is actually a clear turn signal lens painted silver!!! I removed the paint and now I have the two clear Euro style lenses. All I need is the socket (the housing is already there) and a bulb.

Neat, eh?

Contact Wayne Orwig (moderator), his dealer can hook you up with what you need. Also touch base with Todd the owner of this forum he might be able to help you as well.

My dealer had no problem ordering them from stock.
We knew the silver ones are simply painted over clear lenses. But I didn't want the hassle of trying to get the paint off without damaging them, and the replacements include the sockets and bulbs. Just plug in and go.
The replacement mirrors have a LOT less vibration. Very nice.

I was thinking of putting a socket in there for a two filament bulb and wiring it so it will work as a running light and turn signal. I might also stick an LED cluster in there....

Wayne Orwig said:
We knew the silver ones are simply painted over clear lenses. But I didn't want the hassle of trying to get the paint off without damaging them, and the replacements include the sockets and bulbs. Just plug in and go.

Hi Wayne,

Did you just use the existing turn signal wiring that goes to the mirrors when wiring your new turn signals?

Ben, thanks for the idea to just remove the paint off the existing turn signal housings. I used an old sock and some rubbing alcohol and in about 20 minutes I was done! Silver paint came off really easily.

cgalardi said:
Did you just use the existing turn signal wiring that goes to the mirrors when wiring your new turn signals?

I ordered a pair of Euro turn signals and a pair of Aprilia mirrors for my Stelvio from MPH Cycles for $110. The signals complete with the lens, socket, and bulb and are easy replace - you remove a screw on the bottom and on the inside of the plastic faring and the lens pops out. You disconnect the lens at the quick connect and attach the new lens and re-install. You can probably replace both in 5 minutes if you're quick. I wouldn't even bother with cleaning the paint from the existing lens and trying to find a bulb, although I see you've already cleaned the paint out of it.

Cory

cgalardi said:
Wayne Orwig said:

Hi Wayne,

It is a simple plug and go. The mirror/signals unplug near where the 'real' signals go. Just plug them in, and you are set.

guzziben47 said:
I was thinking of putting a socket in there for a two filament bulb and wiring it so it will work as a running light and turn signal. I might also stick an LED cluster in there....

Hi Ben,

Do you have any ideas re: where to get a socket/bulb that would work in the Stelvio lens? I mean other than the Guzzi parts. Apparently they are on back order now.

Thanks,

Chris

I stopped by NAPA after work and picked up a couple single filament amber bulbs and single filament sockets. After a tiny bit of dremel-ing on the socket hole of the lens the little plastic sockets slipped into place nicely. Got them wired up and voila, I have euro-turn signals!

I used an old sock and rubbing alcohol to take the silver paint off the plastic lenses. That worked remarkably well and I was done with both lenses in about 20-25 minutes.

EDIT: I have some 1200 Sport mirrors on order so soon the crappy stockers will be gone!

LINK TO SHORT VIDEO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw3fcO5Gihs

Attachments

• P1060626.JPG
    P1060626.JPG
    604.9 KB · Views: 418
  • P1060627.JPG
    P1060627.JPG
    542.7 KB · Views: 418
  • P1060629.JPG
    P1060629.JPG
    659.5 KB · Views: 418
Sweet - but you're still living with those crappy North American mirrors. If you switch to the Aprilia mirrors (or any other mirror with decently designed attachment system) you will improve your rear view visibility dramatically!!!

Cory

Hi Cory,

I forgot to mention I have a set of Guzzi 1200 Sport mirrors on the way from MPH cycles :) I loved those when I had my Griso!

I did the same thing: contacted MHP and found out they are out of them. I'm on the waiting list. Until then I used a socket for a slightly larger bulb and just duct taped it on there. I was thinking another option might be to get an LED cluster and put that in there....

guzziben47 said:
I did the same thing: contacted MHP and found out they are out of them. I'm on the waiting list. Until then I used a socket for a slightly larger bulb and just duct taped it on there. I was thinking another option might be to get an LED cluster and put that in there....

If you use LEDs instead of a normal bulb, you are likely to get a dashboard error telling you the bulbs are bad.
It is easy to correct with a resistor across the LEDs.

Excellent! After looking at three places today, I couldn't come up with a single filament socket that was close enough to wrangle in. You wouldn't happen to have the NAPA part number for the socket you found, would you?

The mirrors are driving me bonkers! It's not just the visibility, it's the sound of them vibrating. Even duct tape stops working after awhile (but it looks terrific! ;-).

cgalardi said:
I stopped by NAPA after work and picked up a couple single filament amber bulbs and single filament sockets. After a tiny bit of dremel-ing on the socket hole of the lens the little plastic sockets slipped into place nicely. Got them wired up and voila, I have euro-turn signals!

Hi Flay,

I can do you one better. I had already ordered the lens/socket set from MPH Cycles and just got those and installed them today. So my original ones with the sockets I bought are no longer needed. Would you be interested in buying these lenses/sockets/bulbs...pretty cheap?

If not I used NAPA part #LS6255 (light socket). The tabs on the socket don't match up with the notches on the lens so I used a dremel to grind away a little bit so the tabs on the socket slid into the lens. It's a nice, tight fit.

Chris

Attachments

• P1060679.JPG
    P1060679.JPG
    590.2 KB · Views: 336
Flay said:
The mirrors are driving me bonkers! It's not just the visibility, it's the sound of them vibrating. Even duct tape stops working after awhile (but it looks terrific! ;-).

I just crazy glued the glass to the housing to stop the buzzing and that also cleared up much of the view as well.
Not a perfect fix but it works till I change out the mirrors.. if I do.... as I like the visibility of the signals where they are.
I might leave them where they are and add a led set up in the euro positions

Shrike said:
I just crazy glued the glass to the housing to stop the buzzing and that also cleared up much of the view as well.

The previous owner of the bike gave that a try and accidentally cracked the glass in the left. I've got the lens innards now (thanks for the offer cgalardi!, but I was trying to get all this done for a weekend ride). Just need to find a suitable replacement mirror in town. The closest Guzzi dealer only has a left 1200 Sport mirror in stock so I'm trying to find a aftermarket alternative today (any suggestions as to what might fit appreciated!).

Flay said:
The closest Guzzi dealer only has a left 1200 Sport mirror in stock so I'm trying to find a aftermarket alternative today (any suggestions as to what might fit appreciated!).

I think the bike has a standard mirror nut size. MPH Cycle shipped me a pair of Aprilia mirrors, another regular poster is using mirrors off a V-Strom, and another Guzzi owner here in Ottawa (who has a CalVin or something similar) just bought a pair of mirrors at Crappy Tire. I'd suggest just going to a bike shop and trying on mirrors until you find ones that fit and that you like.

Cory

Back