• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

TX Gulf coast to SE Pennsylvania...and V7 III

lucydad

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
All,

May I wax poetic as an old guy who has been riding motorcycles since 1967? Today I had my best ride in PA. We moved here last December from Sugar Land, TX: Houston suburb, Gulf Coast. I shipped my MV Agusta (Italian terror) and Guzzi V7 to Motoplex West Chester--and decided to trade the MV for a new Aprilia Tuono 660. The bikes were delivered to my house in early January, 2023. And they sat as I waited for spring. Meanwhile my eye cataracts were to the point my right eye was useless, so I did ride the Guzzi a couple times, and had my first cataract operation early April, and second in early May. So, new eyes!

The MV, although I loved it, is unsuitable for these slow, hilly, curved roads with low speed limits. And there is no local dealer support. Such a shame to sell the Dragster RR, but the exotic MV just made no sense here.

Riding here is dramatically different than Gulf Coast, TX or SW CO where I grew up riding (desert-mountain transition). In PA we have dense traffic, a very old and complex road system, curves and hills galore, and navigation, for this old guy: tough. But, the small block Guzzi V7 is perfect for this environment.

I came very close to quitting riding in April-May: discouraged from slow eye healing and required low activity. And my two best riding buddies from TX said: we quit! No more Ducati Diavel, or BMW K-bike, or nine (count them) restored Triumphs, Norton's, BSA's, and random Kawa Z900. Done: sold them all. And my motorcycle old retired guys breakfast group died during covid, and never recovered: best bunch of guys you could ever find.

So, I persisted: short Guzzi rides happened. I figured out the new Aprilia was way tall for me: so I shaved the seat (not enough), then got a lowering suspension kit from AF1 Austin (win). and now I have two complementary bikes. I added a Garmin GPS kit to the Ape and learned to use it on both bikes (essential). And now...here in mid-August, I feel I can ride comfortably, and above all with safety and enjoy the bikes. At my age (69), riding remains a passion, but my physical ability and endurance is down from decades past.

Anyway, thanks for reading. You young guys may face similar challenges to this addiction called motorcycle riding. Oh and I forgot: a brother in law died riding in San Antonio about 4 years ago: a superb rider...died on a crappy Honda mini-bike when the frame broke, and he was not wearing a helmet. So yeah, I know how lethal this activity is. YMMV (your mileage may vary). Keep the rubber side down. I may try and actually meet some of you...we will see.

The new Aprilia Tuono 660 has turned out to be a gem: it gives that power rush, and handling of a sport bike, but not as extreme as the MV.

I think that without the V7 III Moto Guzzi, and its easy to ride character, I would have quit.

IMG 5746

Keep on, keeping on !!! Had to look where you are at when you said traffic. On RT30, go west, it flattens out in OH, IN and IL. Same age here, had both eyes done when I couldn't see in the shadows. Not good for traffic. No strait roads here either, none of them like a grid. Ride Safe

Hehe… know where you’re coming from, @lucydad . I’ll hit 70 in Oct, but am one of the younger guys in my local group. Some into their 80’s (but you wouldn’t know it when following them through the twisties). Regardless, as you said, we’re not what we once were😂. Especially evident when getting outta bed in the morning.. grunting and groaning, and hobbling to the bathroom. I think many on this forum are in the “older” demographic😂. But, it’s encouraging to still see the passion! Enjoy those wonderful bikes!

I lusted for a MV Augusta but came to my senses and got a more reasonable Ducati SFV4🙀, the touno 660 looks nice and the Moto Guzzi v7 is cool like Elvis!

Dave,
I owned the Dragster RR for four years in the Houston area. My dealer closed four months after I bought it so the 3 year warranty was worthless. Fortunately he stayed in town and had the skills and tools to do routine maintenance. The MV was an absolute terror to ride, and unique. However, for PA riding: not suitable. The hydraulic stiff clutch gave me fits in stop and go. The new Tuono 660 is a great machine: pretty fast, sharp handling, and an easy clutch. It is wonderful in slower traffic. My dealer tried to get me to buy the big V4 Tuono (nope, too much power for this old guy). Now he is trying to entice me to trade my V7 for a V100 (come on, take it for a weekend). Anyway, I probably have bought my last motorcycle. I sure love my V7 III Special!

All--thanks for your kind words. I posted the same story on a FB, SE PA motorcycle group: some members started throwing political rocks at me, so I took the post down.

Another thought: I hope Moto Guzzi does not discontinue a small block bike. Piaggio may have plans for European requirements? Will we see a small block, liquid cooled bike in the future, 750 CC? Or will the V100 lump become the only engine?

Back