Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Tyres for the Griso

Discussion in 'Griso-Bella Chat & Tech' started by Simo, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Simo

Simo Just got it firing!

Hi

I bought my 2010 Griso 8V last year and love it. It came with Dunlop Qualifiers on it but they didn't last too long, so I replaced them with Mezler Z8 Interacts, but I am not getting on with them.

I am running 36 - 42 psi but the front end feel is horrible, further to this the tyres seem to loose 2-4 psi every 10 days.

I'd love to hear what tyres and pressures you guys are running and your opinions.

Grazie
    Simone..

2. Ron Lakes

Ron Lakes Just got it firing!

I've heard good reviews on the Michelin Pilot Road 4's- might be worth a try. Also, Micheline Pilot Power 3's and Dunlop Road Smarts seem to be well regarded by other Griso owners. All seem to be giving good wear and performance. The Pilot Road 4's are fairly new to the market so it may be a little early to tell with regard to tread life. I believe the pressures you're running are reasonable, but I'm a Griso newbie myself.

3. not-fishing

not-fishing Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

I put Metzler Z8's on the front and rear of my Griso 1100 but not being one to push tires hard I'm happy with them. They only have 3,000 miles on them so it's to early for me to really tell how long they will last.

My Griso was Todd's old bike the tire pressures were 33 front, 36 rear. I've kept the pressure the same even though I weigh 225 lbs (and still dieting) . I use a Lezyne Mountain Bike floor pump to maintain pressure as it has the most accurate gauge out of all my many gauges and pumps. I don't think I'm loosing a pound a month.

I used to help coach a High School Mountain Bike team so tire pressures are real important to me. You'd be surprised at how much of a difference a pound our two makes in a X-Country race and unfortunately every rider / course combination is different.

4. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

I currently have the Michelin Pilot Road 3's. I have about 7k miles on them, they probably are about done. I run them at 34 psi front and 36 psi rear.
    The feel you may be able to improve by adjusting the pressure. The losing pressure part is another matter. There are cases of the spoked wheels losing air, but the cast wheels really shouldn't be. Are you sure you do not have a nail, screw, or other issue with the tire? Also check the valve, soapy water helps to find a leak.
    I have a fairly nice gauge, and I have in the past compared it to a known good reference. The race track is a good place for that, the tire vendors usually have a very accurate gauge.

5. hs3000

hs3000 Just got it firing!

I have about 4000 mi. on a set of Pirelli angel gt's. I run 34F/40R. Very little visible wear and the grip/handling is great imo.
    A little pricy but well worth it.

6. Will

Will Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

After 60k miles on 2 Grisos I found Michelin Pilot Roads to be the best balance between grip (in wet & dry weather) and miles per buck. The only trouble I had was that the fronts tended to lose their profile and upset the handling before they wore out and rears could go from being fine to completely knackered in a very short time - it was like they wore predictably for thousands of miles but once they reached a certain point they would turn from fine to dangerous almost instantly.

7. rguzz

rguzz Tuned and Synch'ed

I use Bridgestone BT023GT, lots of grip and hard wearing. Rides well. But be sure to get the BT023GT, not the BT023.

8. kampe

kampe Cruisin' Guzzisti

Sinds last summer i've got a pair of Pirelli angel GT and have grown very fond of them. good grip and feedback in dry and wet weather.

9. MJPTexas

MJPTexas Cruisin' Guzzisti

I have Pirelli Angel GTs on my 1100. So far pretty happy with them.

10. Fiat500

Fiat500 Cruisin' Guzzisti

Another vote for Pirelli Angel GT

11. Ad B

Ad B Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Hi,

the original Metzeler tires slided too much and were out in 7000 km (4300 mls).
    I bought the Michel Power Road 3. I think (almost) the best.
    Good grip and safe feeling in wet and dry, they lasted 13.000 km (8100 mls)!!
    Now I'm riding Michelin Pilot Power 3. Huge grip, fast warming up.
    I don't know how long they will last.
    I hope somewhere in the middle of the Metzeler and Michelin PR3...

Ad B

12. marcsiry

marcsiry Tuned and Synch'ed

I've got the Pilot Road 4's on mine. My initial reaction is positive but I don't have too many miles on them. I'll know more after I flog the daylights out of them on the first sunny day of Spring here in the northeastern United States :)

Ron S likes this.
  13. double.d

double.d Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I'm on my second set of Angel GT's on the K1300 and they are by far the best tyre I have ever had the privilege of wearing out.

14. Goodvibes

Goodvibes Cruisin' Guzzisti

Michelin Pilot Road 3's; going to the 4's next change. Excellent wear and grip IMHO.

15. Simo

Simo Just got it firing!

Guys. Thank you all so much for your POV's my Z8's still have enough rubber to get me through spring so I'll persevere a while longer and experiment with some of the pressures you use.
    Grazie mille.

sun is coming.......

16. VladTepes

VladTepes Tuned and Synch'ed

I can't comment specifically in relation to the Griso but everyone I know who has them raves positively about the Michelin Pilot Road 4's. A mate runs them on his torque monster (GSX1400) and says that in relation to the previous PR3's they are grippier, inspire more confidence, and are wearing more slowly than the PR3's. I'll be putting a set on my GSX1400 when the tiem comes.

17. Robert Sides

Robert Sides Just got it firing!

The compounds may have changed since the earlier posts on here, but the Z8's on my 2015 Griso stick like baby shit to a blanket! It's my first experience with Metzelers, having been strictly a Michelin man on my Tuono for seven years, but I'm happy with them so far. Mileage will be the main determinant for me. My two cents!

18. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

While it's fun to read people's opinions on tires, they are just that. On the track, the only thing that mattered to me was lap times. On the street, I trade off wear for traction here in SoCal, land of the endless twisty heaven. Some are completely opposite and care only about mileage (as evidenced by Gold Wing riders using car tires)... So as always, YMWV. On the street, I use Dunlop RoadSmart II's exclusively, everywhere I can. Bummer they aren't offered for the V7 or Cal 1400. Pirelli's seem to be flat magnets, on all of my bikes that have had them (and the handful of others I service here), and on my '12 F150 FX4 I just sent down the road.

Tire and oil threads go on forever, yet never go anywhere.

19. vinnychoff

vinnychoff Tuned and Synch'ed

Interested to know what you have done with tyres. I read through and see some interesting debates and suggestions. One of the most important is to run them in and it sounds as though you have a issue as loosing air means that they might not be seating correctly. I hope you get them sorted.
    regards Vinny

20. Simo

Simo Just got it firing!

Hey Vinny
    No resolution yet. I've only put 3000 miles on them as the weather in London is still a bit rubbish, will try refitting them if only to bring peace of mind and help with the trouble shooting.
    Have to say though that when they work they are a good tire a give good confidence.