Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Tyres for the Griso

Discussion in 'Griso-Bella Chat & Tech' started by Simo, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Simo

Simo Just got it firing!

lol. I went from a Tuono to a Griso too. Big change isn't it? In my case a 2008 Tuono to a 2010 Griso. The Tuono was mental and so much fun. Still I grin more on the Griso and spoil my underwear less.

What pressures you using on your Griso/Z8 set up?

2. dlpannebakker

dlpannebakker Just got it firing!

I
    I love my Avons. I use them on my Ducati & Griso. Wear is very good, grip is fantastic even in the rain. Avon Storm 2 next set I am going to get the Storm 3's.

3. Mark111

Mark111 Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Z8's are great tyres and well suited to the Griso from my experience which included good mileage in all sorts of conditions.
    In my opinion your pressures are to high I ran 34 front and 37 rear.
    Make sure you have a good gauge as they are often out by 3 or 4 PSI so you could be running much higher pressures than you actually think.
    If everything is ok you really shouldn't loose any significant amount of pressure. I would start by ensuring your valve stems are secure and correctly seated if you have already checked that there is nothing embedded in the tread causing a slow leak.

4. Brent S

Brent S Just got it firing!

Started out using 36psi and 40 psi respectively on my Griso (front / rear). Recently backed those pressures off to 33 and 37 and found the whole bike much more compliant, and grip is unaffected. Worth trying for city use. In the country on faster roads, perhaps I'd bump those up to 34 and 38, but no more than that.

5. matson

matson Tuned and Synch'ed

Started with Metzeler Sportec M5 as original equipment & found them to be "greasy" and not predictably so. Retired them after around 9000km. Moved on to Michelin Pilot Road 3s for the next two sets and found them to be a great tyre for the type of riding I do - very confidence inspiring and stay put in the wet too!
    I've just forked out for a new set of Michelin Pilot Road 4s @ 37,000km - be interesting to see how they wear in comparison to the 3s. Feels like a new bike, turns in & handles again. In my experience the PR3's get rather stubborn towards the end of their useful life with the rear squaring off & the front cupping - but that's squeezing approx. 14,000km out of a set (need to confirm with my records).
    I usually run pressures @ 33 & 36, I find higher pressures too harsh for the road conditions here.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  6. GuzziHero

GuzziHero Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I had Pirelli Angels on and was delaminating the rear in less than 3000 miles. Cracks appearing across the tread all the way round the centre.
    I have Bridgestone BT045s on now, work to within 2mm of the edge either side, but no untowards marking after over 2000 miles. I recommend these highly.

7. GuzziHero

GuzziHero Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Whoops, made a mistake up there. They are BT030. Still hanging on after 3000+ miles.

8. katoosh

katoosh Just got it firing!

Were those Dunlops Q2 or Q3? My first replacements (on my second hand '09 8V) were Q3s and while I can see they are not going to be high mileage tyres I will have fun for a decent amount of time. Reporting live from SF Bay Area, so I do have a little stabbing to get to the good roads. I am running 36R/34F. Very nice sporty tyre.

9. archercc

archercc Cruisin' Guzzisti

Ive been running the Pilots on my bikes for a while. Powers for sportbikes, Roads for everything else.

The Pilot roads, while not as rigid as the Q3s, have great feel and unbelievable wet weather performance. I've blasted around mountain roads in monsoon season with a smile on my face while my friends have white faces and red knuckles at gas stops.

Im running lower pressures though, like 32-36. Maybe not wearing as well that way but they hold harder than my neck can in corners.

As for air I never lose any. I had the MV in the living room for all 3 months of winter and the tires lost all of 1 PSI.

10. archercc

archercc Cruisin' Guzzisti

The dual compound they run uses the harder compound as a base layer for the softer compound on the edges, so eventually you are wearing off that sticky rubber and getting more of the hard rubber up the shoulders. Its progressive based on the "seams" I can see on my tire but it does happen eventually.

11. jud yamane

jud yamane Just got it firing!

i have a 2015 Griso. new bike, old stock at dealership. i still have the stock metzlers and the bike seems to fall into corners. is this an artifact of the chassis geometry or the tires. looking at swapping to Michelin PR 4's or Bridgestone BT023's. looking for a neutral tire.

thanks

12. Mark111

Mark111 Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Michelin PR4's are great as well as Metzler Roadtec 01 which have replaced the Z8. The Z8 is a good tyre but the 2 previously mentioned are a bit better. Your pressures are to high, try 34F and 37R which will give the Z8's more feel.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017