• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

U.S. Relay to the Rally 2009

Re:U.S. Relay to the Rally 2009s

rocker59 wrote:
Who is gonna take it to Death Valley and get a pic at the lowest spot ???
You can count on the SoCal guys, except it'll have to wait until later this year if so, as temps for the next few months will hover around, or just over, 120F.

Mike, thanks again for toting it around, though I'd love get all of the photos on Picasa, and update the map of your travels. Send me your notes so that I can.

Safe travels.

I just updated the BLOG and the Google Travel MAP. Thanks to Steak for putting SPOT in Greg's bag. I think it's a must for next years travels with the baton.

RacerX wrote:
- Greg's back in WA. Most anywhere else but the Great West USA, he'd be several states away still... Safe travels Greg/Pedro the rest of the way home. I look forward to some photos.

Let's talk about where we'd like to see the baton head from Seattle, below. Though ultimately, I think it should land at the home of next year's National in John Day, Oregon on Dec. 11th or so.

Looks like they made it. Look forward to words and pics from Greg.

So.. PNW, now you finally have it. Show it a good time.

I passed it to my buddy Pedro just across the bridge from the WA line. He carried it into Seattle. We'll try to pass it to some Oregon folks at the Guzzi breakfast on Saturday, and they can return it to our Deep Forest campout in July, and then John Thurber will take it back with him to Vermont. I'll write wome more and show pix later.

Thanks for the post Greg... I'll be awaiting more words and pics. Let's chat about where it should go from Oregon. I'd almost more like to see it head south to SoCal... so it can visit Death Valley, and perhaps Billoni/Big Daddy can take it up to the Salt in Oct.

Other words from Greg on another Forum:
The winds were fierce most of the day, and grew especially gusty up by Ellensburg. The pavement was also wiggly, so I thought it normal that the bike wanted to wobble a bit. It kept getting worse, so I slowed down a bit, and Pedro rocketed ahead. The next wobble was too much. I had my elbows locked, both palms flat against the grips. The bar mounts and forks were flexing and it was a very near crash. I steered it onto the shoulder and wallowed to a stop. The rear tire was near flat.

The day before, I'd tossed in some fix-a-flat because I couldn't find a hole to plug. It had been keeping air in pretty well, losing about 2 psi per hour. When I checked it in Ellensburg, it still had 48 psi. Now, 11 miles later, the damn thing was flat. All the fix-a-flat streaming out showed me where the hole was. I dried out the goo as best I could, plugged it, pumped up the tire and drove slowly on.

About 30 miles later, Pedro zoomed up behind me. He had circled back looking for me. And here I thought I had been abandoned. Silly me. We stopped and chatted a bit and then continued on home to Seattle.

Greg, your flat... was it a tire puncture it sounds like? This isn't a leak in the epoxy rim seal, correct?

Hello ALL:

Well I am just a little late in posting, but thanks to Mike and Greg for the handoff in Salida.

There have been several other posts here and on WG.. but I am sure that all those at Salida really appreciated the Relay concept and several wanted to be included in the perpetual pass around the country!

Lets keep it going all year long! .... South in the Winter and North in the Summer....

Sam, thanks for checking in here... and appreciate your spear-heading the hand-off. Looks like you took to the mic at the banquet, yes? Appreciated.

Hi Todd;

Yes I just did a short description of the Relay, the Injured Riders Fund and introduced Mike and Greg. It was short and simple. The Relay is the focus...

Glad to help out.

It's been "Rocky Mountain High"...
572420941_wCrgn-M.jpg

So who's gonna take the baton to Badwater Basin in Death Valley?
Badwater_elevation_sign.jpg

rocker59 wrote:
So who's gonna take the baton to Death Valley

OOhOoh...pick me....pick me!!!

If it got to SoCal early enough, we can get it to Death Valley from Las Vegas easily....it's just a day ride for us, and we LIVE in 100+ temps, so it ain't no thing!!...

......and if we got it done in a timely fashion, it could go from here to Bonneville. Bill is supposed to stop at my house anyway, on the way north.

or....if it works out better.....have him leave it here on the way south, AFTER Bonneville, and then we do Death Valley, and pass it on which ever direction you want it to go.

Or.....not.......

Tim, my hopes are that we can get it down into SoCal, and then perhaps we can meet you in Death Valley around when Bill is headed your way. I'd actually like to go to Bonneville this year. I've missed it the last two.

RacerX wrote:
Tim, my hopes are that we can get it down into SoCal, and then perhaps we can meet you in Death Valley around when Bill is headed your way.

OK.....that would work......a Friday/Saturday time frame works best for me....probably others as well.

Sounds good Tim. We'll stay in touch here. Need to touch base with Bill still.

Now, hope to hear from Greg and the PNW guys about it's whereabouts and plans. :unsure:

I can't seem to get Greg to post here, though he posts everywhere else all over the net: :dry:

Greg did write:
I will (get you info & pics) as soon as I can. It's off to the Deep Forest campout this weekend. I'll get as many as I can to carry it for a bit and hit them up for dough (for the IRF). John Thurber will take it from there on his way back to Vermont.
I'd really like to see it head south instead of back East. It has to see Death Valley and Bonneville with Bill Ross before it lands at John Day, OR... home of the 39th Annual MGNOC National Rally next year.

It's on its way to California with a guy named (I hope I am remembering it right) Steve Graham. John Thurber was a little disappointed, I think, that he didn't get to carry it back to Vermont, but his wife sure was relieved. I'm glad John was a good sport about it. Steve lives somewhere near Sacramento, I think, so it shouldn't be too tough to get the baton from there to SoCal.

I made a little presentation out of the passing and called for donations for the injured riders fund, and the fine folks at the Deep Forest Campout made a remarkable showing, donating nearly $700 in total. Only 72 were in attendance, so that worked out to be an average of nearly $10 a head. The winner of the 50/50 drawing, Wayne Wakefield, donated the winnings, which was something like $132. Other notable donations were $200 from Motomonster and $50 from Steak. Many donations were in the few dollars range, too, from folks that I know for a fact don't have much money. Good show, Northwesterners!

My camera crapped out, so I need to get the photos from Steak. I'll post a write-up with pix as soon as I get the pix.

WOW GREG! That was worth the wait!

Man, strong/generous showing indeed!!! Thanks to everyone in the NW!

Greg, if you need help with the photos. let me know. Perhaps I'll ping Steak too.

Nice, nice job.

Ping me direct if you have Steve Graham's contact info.

SO, anyone here ready for a hand-off south from Sac?

Hey JD -
I live in Visalia and work in Fresno. Could meet you in Fresno during a lunch hour or north of Fresno after work (as long as I can get back to Visalia around dark - my eyes are aging as fast as the rest of me.....) to pick up the baton, on my RC. I told Todd I'm going on a ride over Sherman and Tioga Passes and environs the weekend of 7/24 - could take it with me, or hand it off to someone else before then or whatever..... but I"d be honored to pick it up from you somehow (realizing you'd be doing most of the "heavy lifting" between Sacto and Fresno, though....). Let me know!!
Jamileh

OK, my brain is aging even faster than the rest of it.... I think I misunderstood the recent posts. Steve has the baton, not JD, but JD may get it from Steve..... Sorry!!! In any event, I'm in Fresno/Visalia, and would be thrilled to do some carrying from whomever/wherever - and meet another guzzisti/a in the process!!! Just let me know how I can help. Any excuse to ride my Red Racer anywhere.....

Update from Stephen G. on 7/18/09:
I received the baton from Greg Field at the Washington Deep Forrest camp out. I traveled through Washington, Idaho and Oregon, and returned home to Yuba City, California. I will be attending our Northern Calif. monthly breakfast tomorrow (Sunday 7-19-09) and will take baton to show and to talk to our Rep. for arraignments to further it's travel to southern Calif.
I've directed Stephen here... hope to here from him. Otherwise, I'll put everyone in NorCal in touch via direct e-mail and transpose back to here on any replies.

Back