• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

UFI OEM Oil Filter - 80mm 8-Flute Wrench Impossible to Find

Bonaventure

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I have in hand a new oem oil filter UFI #30.15.30.00 2328700 which I bought for the 1st service. It has 8 flutes and measures 79 or so mm width. I'm finding plenty of 80mm filter cap wrenches for 15-flute but zero for 8-flute jobs.

What next?

I have in hand a new oem oil filter UFI #30.15.30.00 2328700 which I bought for the 1st service. It has 8 flutes and measures 79 or so mm width. I'm finding plenty of 80mm filter cap wrenches for 15-flute but zero for 8-flute jobs.

What next?

You really don't want to use the 8 flute, they are the old style and prone to leaking. I do recommend the Bosch 3330 filter. A BMW motorcycle filter wrench for an R series oil head (1100 and 1150s) is a perfect fit for this filter since Bosch makes the filters for BMW, BTW, on install I coat the seal with grease and torque to 15 Nm.

You really don't want to use the 8 flute, they are the old style and prone to leaking. I do recommend the Bosch 3330 filter. A BMW motorcycle filter wrench for an R series oil head (1100 and 1150s) is a perfect fit for this filter since Bosch makes the filters for BMW, BTW, on install I coat the seal with grease and torque to 15 Nm.

Too late :sweating:

Ordered an OEM filter from Harper Moto Guzzi last week and that's what was sent. On the upside, after an exhaustive online search I found a cap wrench for it:

Found: "CTA Tools A263 Oil Filter Wrench 76mm 3/8" Drive - Cap Style, 8 Flutes" -- Also described as "CTA Tools A263 Cap-Oil Filter Wrench-76mm/Jee"

eBay for the win: http://www.ebay.com/itm/400243114612 $6.94usd to my door next week.

Sold by JB Tools in Wisconsin, the above is their eBay store. https://www.jbtoolsales.com/cta-tools-a263-cap-oil-filter-wrench-76mm-jee/

I will echo johns post. The 8 flute are prone to leaking so just keep an eye out on it. Also make sure you oil the gasket when you put it on as they also stuck.

If you order the MG part number you get an 8 flute UFI filter in an MG box. If you order a UFI filter for the Stelvio you get a the better 14 flute. Go figure.

I have always used the HiFlo one but to each is own. They are readily available for me and fit the 14 flute wrench the UFI uses.

I will echo johns post. The 8 flute are prone to leaking so just keep an eye out on it. Also make sure you oil the gasket when you put it on as they also stuck.

If you order the MG part number you get an 8 flute UFI filter in an MG box. If you order a UFI filter for the Stelvio you get a the better 14 flute. Go figure.

I have always used the HiFlo one but to each is own. They are readily available for me and fit the 14 flute wrench the UFI uses.

Probably should've asked here prior to buying. The filter is stamped on top in yellow font "Tunisia 13/05/16", i.e. manufactured May 13, 2016. I loathe the prospect of it leaking, but.... the factory installed one is the same 8 flute and it's not leaking so maybe they've improved them? Or... maybe the factory has it muscled on super tight. I shall find out in several days ...

I've run across some that a cap wrench wouldn't remove. This will do the trick sears.com/craftsman-adjustable-wrench-for-oil-changes/p-083W654697300001P

You could drop the Sump Pan off if all else fails, just make sure you have a spare Gasket to hand.
Easy enough to make one of course.
SumpGasket
Piece of Gasket Paper (or thick Craft Paper), Scalpel, and a decent Hole Punch . . . and some patience.

Filter is nicely accessible with the Sump off . . .
Sump

You could drop the Sump Pan off if all else fails, just make sure you have a spare Gasket to hand.
Easy enough to make one of course.
View attachment 13621
Piece of Gasket Paper (or thick Craft Paper), Scalpel, and a decent Hole Punch . . . and some patience.

Filter is nicely accessible with the Sump off . . .
View attachment 13622

It would be difficult to drop the sump with the oil filter in place. You would need a very long Allen socket to get to them. The filter still being there would make access tricky.

as I recall I found the right wrench at auto zone and they have a 2 or 3 finger version of the one John recommended that I think worked.
I used the Bosch 3340 it's a bit longer and eliminates future problems. and yes through the uni away.

as I recall I found the right wrench at auto zone and they have a 2 or 3 finger version of the one John recommended that I think worked.
I used the Bosch 3340 it's a bit longer and eliminates future problems. and yes through the uni away.

Found a 76mm 8-Flute cap wrench @ JB Tool Sales's (Wisconsin) eBay store for $6.94 shipped. Should arrive on Thursday. Unless the UFI 2328700 leaks badly I'm just going to keep using them.

Just in case someone reads this thread and makes the same mistake as me, a 76/8 filter wrench doesn't fit. Bought OEM filter and hand tightened on. Not leaking but would have like to torque (12-14Nm) it up anyway.
Gutsibits in the UK is the only place that I've found to sell these. Part #TOA41006. I'll be switching to HiFlow on the next oil change.

Last edited:
My previous reply was from before I discovered the Filters with the 17mm Hex on the end, I use those exclusively now, so much easier.
They also allow you to Wire-Lock the Filter, which is nice.

HiFlo ~ HF171BRC
K&N ~ KN170

The only problem with that 17mm hex head, is, (and I see it all the time), people just cannot resist tightening that thing on like it's holding the entire motorcycle together! It's insane how tight people put on oil filters. It does not need 45 ft/lb of torque. More like 6 ft/lb/ It doesn't vibrate and it isn't going to move. Overtightening oil filters is just bad all the way around.

Just in case someone reads this thread and makes the same mistake as me, a 76/8 filter wrench doesn't fit. Bought OEM filter and hand tightened on. Not leaking but would have like to torque (12-14Nm) it up anyway.
Gutsibits in the UK is the only place that I've found to sell these. Part #TOA41006. I'll be switching to HiFlow on the next oil change.
I have one of the custom tools left;

The only problem with that 17mm hex head, is, (and I see it all the time), people just cannot resist tightening that thing on like it's holding the entire motorcycle together! It's insane how tight people put on oil filters. It does not need 45 ft/lb of torque. More like 6 ft/lb/ It doesn't vibrate and it isn't going to move. Overtightening oil filters is just bad all the way around.
Although there are strange dynamics going on with oil filters sometimes. I do all my own oil changes on my cars and bikes, and I follow the directions for tightening, usually expressed in something like 3/4 turn after oiled gasket contact. Or 5-8 ft/lb, which is a good hand-tight.

BUT when I go to remove them at oil change time, there's no way they will come off by hand. Sometimes, I'm almost bending a strap wrench or fluted end-cap-wrench, and veins bulging, before the thing that I PUT ON HAND TIGHT will come loose.

So I'm now using the 17mm-hex type exclusively now (Hi-Flo for me), because I know that I'm the only shaved ape that might crank down on it with a breaker bar to install it!

Lannis

Glad you are feeling better to do such things Lannis!!
Actually, I'm NOT doing anything yet except directing and sitting on a shop roll-around stool supervising. Not authorized to lift or handle more than 8 pounds, nor lay down on my side, for another month.

Our big commercial lawnmower was due for an oil change, so I got out the tools, Fay got into her grubby clothes, and I directed HER how to do it; get up under the mower, find the drain plug, take it out, make sure the oil drains into the pan, tighten up the drain plug, and wipe down where the oil splashed on its way from the drain to the pan. Since the Kawasaki Vtwin on the mower has the filter completely exposed and hanging out in the breeze, I don't use the hex-headed Hi-Flo filters on it, just the Kawasaki branded filters from the shop I bought it from; she used a simple strap wrench to take it off.

She's getting good at it. I'm getting very lazy and entitled about getting on wi' some work .... !! Feeling pretty good, although I was back in the hospital last week with an infection that had gotten into my leg and had my temperature up at 104. Talk about chills that you can't get rid of .... Better now, though, actually drove myself around some this week.

Lannis

Back